Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» New to Me Swing
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride

Go down 
+3
matthew
SonnyO
GHM-PM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride Empty
PostSubject: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 9:50 am

Well my next big ride is almost ready to start!!! Can't wait! On March 9 a friend is coming over and on March 10 we will leave from Wickenburg, AZ and meet up with another friend and drive up to NE Arizona. We will tour Monument Valley then the 4 corners area and hit some parks in southern Utah and finally end up in Las Vegas or Laughlin, NV before heading back home.

One of my friends has a 2006 Gold Wing which he just got so is looking forward to his first big ride on it! The other friend will be on a 2011 Kawasaki KLR 650. Even with a Corbin seat I don't envy him the miles in the saddle on that one! But he is in his early 30's so will do OK.

I will try and take lots of pictures!

Better get to work and change my oil and probably final drive oil as well!
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Monument valley is amazing! Check out Moki Dugway. On 261 north of the 163/261 intersection IIRC. Switchbacks up the mesa face, but all gravel so beware. I have never ridden it on a bike(truck only) but many do. Incredible views!!
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm

It's beautiful country, especially on a bike. I went through Monument Valley on my way to the Grand Canyon from NM. That was my first extended bike camping trip, and it was incredible.

I'm sure you'll all enjoy it immensely.
Here's a link to some pics and narrative of that trip, in case you'd care to check it out:
http://www.travelpod.com/dashboard/trip/1

Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 am

Glenn,

Hope you have a lot of fun on the ride. It's a good idea to change your oil and final drive. How many miles do you think this ride will be? Sounds like this would be a great trip....good luck.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the tips guys; will check them all out if I can. Jeff; I am estimating 1300 miles for this trip. Should be OK since we have a 5 day window.

Matthew, can't view your link because I do not have an account with Travelpod. You might consider Photobucket or something next time. Thanks.

Last edited by GHM-PM on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:13 am

SonnyO wrote:
Monument valley is amazing! Check out Moki Dugway. On 261 north of the 163/261 intersection IIRC. Switchbacks up the mesa face, but all gravel so beware. I have never ridden it on a bike(truck only) but many do. Incredible views!!

I rode down it on a BSA 500 in the early 70's. It is a helluva ride, but I don't think that a Silverwing (or a Goldwing for that matter) would be a good choice.

:flower:

www.verlenelson.com has a lot of info about that part of the country. worth a read.

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 10:41 am

Sorry about that Glenn. Try this link instead. You shouldn't need an account to view it:
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/matthewd/1/tpod.html
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 am

Better Matthew, thanks! To Jon, this is not a dual-sport trip! We will go where we can and take tours in other areas. But with that said we are all experienced dual-sport riders so who knows? The Navajo offer tours of areas we are not allowed to access so the plan is to take a couple of their guided tours.

Got my oil and Final Drive oil changed; now it is just waiting and praying for good weather!!! I am even 95% packed!
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 am

matthew wrote:
Sorry about that Glenn. Try this link instead. You shouldn't need an account to view it:
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/matthewd/1/tpod.html
Very nice trip record, Matthew. I enjoyed reading the names of the towns you listed. Kim and I also stop at Subway - consistent and generally fresh food.

Blogging at the end of each day spent riding is relaxing and alot of fun.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 8:47 am

Glad that link worked, Glenn.

Thanks Dale for the comments. That trip was a while ago now, but it was a really great one for me. We'll see what this year might bring? No plans as of yet.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

Matthew was kind enough to permit me to do a painting from the photo in his avatar.

Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride Matthe12

This my interpretation of it.

Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Looks great Jon. Blue sky, red rock, striking southwest imagery.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Nice painting Jon. Great depth in the tones. Textures and shadows are good.
What media did you use?
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks Matthew.

I just paint what I see. Sometimes, tho, I don't see what other people see. Shocked

Nowun -- this is oil on canvas.

more at http://www.joncallihan.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride   Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monument Valley/ Four Corners ride
Page 1 of 1