Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 5:50 pm

» noise under load
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 4:16 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Today at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.

Go down 
+2
Silverwing28681
darrent
6 posters
AuthorMessage
darrent
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-06-12

pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. Empty
PostSubject: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 5:48 pm

When I first get onto the bike, I reverse the bike and it is really hard to push it backwards.

Then when I start to move forwards it takes about 2 minutes for the acceleration to get going. so at full revs, it only goes 25 miles per hour.

I have a Silverwing ABS 2007.

I would love some advice.

I was wondering if I needed some new disk brakes.

Thank you.

Darren
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 5:57 pm

This is a strange problem, Sounds like to me its your variator or clutch,
With " really hard to push it backwards. " and " at full revs, it only goes 25 miles per hour. "

I would look in to that area first I think, Easy to take a quick look and see, Thanks

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:22 pm

What mileage has the scooter done?

What variator have you got installed?

Had a similar problem with mine, J Costa variator installed. Replaced the pins (their equivalent of rollers) and fitted a new belt. That cured the problem on mine.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 4:19 am

My first thoughts.

Do you use your machine often, (Daily?)

Is the biking wet when you lay it up over night?

If the bike is having long(ish) breaks between riding and the bike is/was damp it may be possible the brakes are binding, (sticking). That would make it difficult to maneuver.

May be worth looking at the parking brake. Is that sticking?

Let us know what you find. Be useful if the snag happens to others.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 am

Waspie,

When mine had this symptom is was really noticeable when i did a four day trip to Scotland, every morning exactly the same thing. For the first two miles or so the revs were a lot higher than normal. To get 30 mph i was using 5000 revs. Then it would settle down to normal. I can discount the sticking brakes as far as mine was concerned as at least two mornings I had to push the scoot backwards a few feet to get it into a position where I could set off from. (That is not to say that your suggestion may not be relevant).
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:54 am

I have the ABS 2007. Sometimes i find the rear brake does bind first thing(it's always kept in a garage),especially this time of year, it usually loosens up in a couple of yards, if it lasted longer that's were i would be looking, as Waspie suggested. Smile
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 pm

I will do this:

1. Before turning on the bike, on the stand, rotate the back wheel by hand. Does it spin, does it make any noises, grinding noises. where , brakes, inside the case ? Listen where the rear brakes are.

2. Stupid hand brake cost me a lot of money. My Honda dealer thought it was my belt (I changed 1 week earlier) Pull out the hand brake pads. It should take 5 min to do it. Only two screws. I took them all off at 10,000. 80,0000 never needed once.

3. Did you just change the rear brakes? You may have to re-set the pads in the correct position.

4. If you have an impact electric or air tool it takes about 30 min with no special tools to look at the clutch in the back.

Let me know

Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.   pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pushing the bike backwards and slow for first 2 minutes.
Page 1 of 1