Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 12:04 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First Service Charge

Go down 
+17
MikeO
oldgwingguy
terrier
bikerboy
Meldrew
Old Limey
Atrick
GHM-PM
robert
drewsieboy
DarthJ
surlybiker58
Waspie
tinman
Nowun
tarmacburner2
paul.delo451
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-30

First Service Charge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Could I ask the experienced SW Brits on here how much they would expect to be charged for a first service on a new bike please. Or perhaps one of my fellow newbies has recently paid for a first service.

The garage I bought it from want £240 + VAT which seems a lots for a first service or am I being stupid?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.coventryselfstorage.co.uk

AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 4:44 pm

usually charge a lot for oil & filter.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2015 5:06 pm

As long as you keep records and receipts of all work done your warranty should remain in effect.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: First Service Charge    First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 1:23 am

There is a old saying,you can shear a sheep many times but only skin him once. It is a shame more service centers haven't heard about it. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have the bike booked in at the dealer this coming Wednesday for the first service so once I've had this done and get a stamp in the book I'll just do my own servicing. I don't do too many miles so the warranty may well run out before the next service is due. I'll try and find a workshop manual and that'll give me all the info I'll need.

Den
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 5:36 am

In my experience (inclusive cars) service charges nowadays are quite reasonable; provided they really perform all the tasks outlined in their service manuals. I have had excellent service from my Honda car dealer, where they literally checked everything and reported faults to me. Good value for money!
But the dealer who sold me my Silverwing ( second hand ) advertised it as " fully serviced", and it clearly was not, considering the state of the oil and the oil & air filter.
I had a new rear tire ( Pirelli Diablo) fitted recently for all inclusive Aus $ 109.00 and the Honda mechanic even checked the front wheel ( rubber and bearings), steering bearing and reported on it. So I think it plainly comes down to whether they do their job properly or not; and not to the service cost only.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Got my new Silverwing a year ago. Dealer said first service due at 600mls. Price was £99 + parts. I did the service. £5 for a new oil filter. Cleaned the Filter on the front pulley. Changed the oil. Total cost less than £12 and i KNOW it's been done. Now at 9,500mls.  I did the 8,00mls sevice as well. Smile I would point out that when I traded in my last Silverwing that the dealer(when selling it) advertised it with a full service history, even though in the four years I owned, and clocked up 40,000mls, I did all my own servicing and completed all the service records myself.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 6:00 am

Old Limey.....Thanks for the reply. After a lot of consideration I think I'll get the 600 mile service done at the dealer and that'll give me a stamp in the book even though I begrudge paying the price. It should help if I need to make a warranty claim in the future. I don't do too any miles so the warranty may well run out before the next service is due anyway. Then I'll do my own servicing. I must try and get a workshop manual though. In my younger days I worked as a bike mechanic for several years and I've been maintaining my present bike, a Yamaha 250 Dragstar, for the last 4 years. I must get the Dragstar sold asap to get some money back and keep the wife happy Neutral I remember in my days as a bike mechanic in the 60s-70s I worked at a local Honda dealer and then the first service was actually free. You only paid for the oils + filter etc. How times have changed ! Just wondering, have you needed to make any warranty claims for your bike ? I also see on your profile picture you have a black Swing. Same as mine. I originally wanted a silver one but when this black one come up at a bargain price I went for it. Now after having it for a week I'm starting to like the colour. I see on your profile it's your birthday tomorrow so best wishes for your 71st. Next month I'll be 66 and will have completed my first year as a pensioner Shocked Cheers for now.

Den
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 am

My first bike was a BSA 250 cllg.I have no training as a mechanic, but I like to know when iam riding at 60mph that my tyre pressures are right, that my brakes will stop me, that my engine is well looked after and all filters and fluids are as they should be. It's my life and I know iam the only one that can be relied on. I seem to average about 10,000mls per year, so I get to know my bike pretty well. If you want the most out of your bike this is the place to come. I have made the " butt rest" into the backrest and have the Burgman400 wing mirrors both of which I highly recommend. Thanks for the birthday greetings. As always I will be out riding tommorow. Welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Service Charge   First Service Charge - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Service Charge
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2