Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday

Go down 
+4
model28a
scooterboyz
rock1973
ridr44
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday Empty
PostSubject: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 am

I took my first bit of a decent ride yesterday, Sunday, on Long Island where I live. This bike, 03' SW is my third SW and I have logged about 50k over the years, including trips from NY to Texas, Georgia and North Carolina. But on my rather short, 80 mile ride yesterday I experienced more threatening situations than I had in numerous previous outings.

First, upon entering the LI expressway, I went to enter into an empty lane and someone moved into my space from the middle lane, cutting me off. Then while traveling at 75 mph, the same speed everyone was going, in the HOV lane, in an otherwise very uncrowded expressway, a driver in an SUV cranked passed me ON THE LEFT! Between me and the center divider! I didn't even know that was possible. Then on the way home, there is a place where I exit the HOV and have to fairly quickly move to the right hand lane to exit. Usually people are courteous and allow me to change lanes. Yesterday several pickup trucks purposely sped up to not allow me to move, making me go to the next exit to get off.

It is so very disconcerting to have to experience such bad driving behavior. I feel like motorcyclists and all drivers should rebel against this disintegration of a caring for others that to me is exemplified by what has become the driving style of some, and many, Americans, at least in my area. I have heard from more than just a few riders that they have given up riding or think about giving it up, due to such dangerous, entitled, self centered drivers.

What can be done? Honestly I find it depressing. Dan
Back to top Go down
rock1973
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
rock1973

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 9:22 am

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. That's one of the benefits of living in a flyover state. I very seldom ride on multilane highways for just that reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm

That's funny, I didn't realize there were any islands in Tennessee.

Is it possible people are on edge because it's taking so long for things to get done after the storms? I have heard a lot of grumbling coming from that particular region about long power outages, gas shortages, etc. People get tense, ya know?
Back to top Go down
scooterboyz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

I FEEL YOU RIDR44. I LIVE IN NEW HAVEN CT AND SOUNDS LIKE WE LIVE IN THE WORLD. I DEAL WITH THOSE SITUATIONS ONE WAY AND ONE WAY ONLY, I STAY OUT IN FRONT OF ONE PACK AND BEHIND ANOTHER WHENEVER POSSIBLE. NOBODY WANTS TO RIDE AT 90 MPH FOR LONG STRETCHES, BUT IT'S EITHER DO THAT TO STAY OUT FRONT OR DEAL WITH SOME WEIRD AND CRAZY CONSEQUENCES. I HATE IT BUT I HAVE ADAPTED TO IT.

BELIEVE ME RIDER, I FEEL YOU
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am

scooterboyz
No need to yell. Try turning off your caps lock key it's a lot easier on the eyes.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 am

DuggleBogey wrote:
T

Is it possible people are on edge because it's taking so long for things to get done after the storms? I have heard a lot of grumbling coming from that particular region about long power outages, gas shortages, etc. People get tense, ya know?

Unfortunately bad driving is universal and standards are dropping all the time - makes you glad that oil supplies are dwindling. Exclamation

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Yeah this sounds like an average day of riding around Metro Atlanta. People have total disregard for each others safety (or even there own).
Back to top Go down
Okiedolkle
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Okiedolkle

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 7:06 pm

I'd like to figure out a way to mount a paint ball gun so that I can take a shot at the windshield of the car who is following me at 3 feet!

I've always wanted to do that with my car, also.

I hate tailgaters!

HBWJr
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 7:38 am

It is sad for certain. Not only have driving standards dropped, but the number of "distracted" drivers is on the rise. Cell phones and texting, lighting cigs, switching CD's or fiddling with a GPS; it is scary what people think they can do while driving a motor vehicle...

I had a guy a week or so ago come around a corner and he had the cell phone to his ear and his other hand out the window with a smoke in it...? Not sure how he was steering! Be afraid, be VERY afraid. LOL
Back to top Go down
scooterboyz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 pm

[quote="model28a"]scooterboyz
No need to yell. Try turning off your caps lock key it's a lot easier on the eyes. [SORRY ! 44 Soon with still a good set of peepers and would never have guessed CAPITAL LETTERS would be hard on the eyes. The only thing hard on my eyes is mourning sunlite on the horizon and poor handwriting Rolling Eyes ]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday   Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Went riding on Long Island, NY yesterday
Page 1 of 1