Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Top box for Silver Wing

Go down 
+6
steve_h80
Meldrew
Winger61
Bash On!
Cosmic_Jumper
Toolman
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-08-24

Top box for Silver Wing Empty
PostSubject: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Who makes the low profile top box on Wings that I've seen in vids in GB and EU? It looks to be only about 6 inches in height and maybe 16 inches wide. Looks like it was made to carry a laptop and paperwork.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 am

Dunno about what options, other than the traditional Givi and Shad cases, might be available in the UK or EU, but you might want to tale a look at some Pelican protective cases or Seahorse cases.

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/products/watertight-protector-hard-cases/

http://www.seahorsecases.com

Tim
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 9:13 am

Police radio boxes come in various sizes, including low profile.  They are pricey new so I'd recommend eBay.  You could also try Harley or other motorcycle dealers that resell ex-police bikes.  My local dealer trashes the radio boxes and solo seats and adds a dual seat before reselling.

A couple large ones (NIB) came with my Kawasaki ex-police bike.  Couldn't sell them for $50 each.  Gave one away and trashed the other.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 10:44 am

Toolman,
I don't know if you mean the OEM Honda box, which is what I've got on my Wing. It's a good bit bigger than 16" x 6", 45 litres capacity, costs around £260 ($340) new, if you can find one, and will take two full face helmets. (Except mine won't now, 'cos my new Caberg Duke has a bigger shell than my old helmet, so if we're 2-up, one helmet has to go under the seat!)
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 am

Think he was looking for a low-profile box.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 pm

The other genuine Honda accessories top box specifically for the Silver Wing SW-T 600 and 400 is a weird looking 40 litre monstrosity with a low sides and a curved central hump to accommodate the built in back rest. It costs about €250. It may be curvy but the shape makes it impractical.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Get a proper big box you can put things in!
But as Meldrew mentioned there is a pointless lumpy thing available if that's what you want.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 am

I believe what I've seen might be the factory Honda box. Does anyone have a pic of this box?
Back to top Go down
Javel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 am

I've got the genuine Honda top box on mine, you can fit loads in it plus most importantly a case of 24 beers!
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Toolman wrote:
I believe what I've seen might be the factory Honda box. Does anyone have a pic of this box?

Piccy here for you hopefully

https://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/products/fjs600-silverwing-top-box-45l-23595
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks Winger. It's pretty big! Lol
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 am

£260!!! Good grief.
Mine came with the bike so it didn't reLise what they cost. I use mine for a bit of secure storage, but now I realise the box is worth far more than what I keep in it!
I expect I'll come back one day to find my camera, gloves etc on the floor and the box gone :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 06, 2017 11:45 am

I've noticed that particular Honda top box seems to be fitted to a lot of used Silver Wings that are currently for sale. The same top box is fitted to lots of used Deauvilles too. They are expensive for a 45 litre top box, but I remember a few years ago they used to be part of the free £500 Honda accessories package used to shift both models in Autumn.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 06, 2017 1:20 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
£260!!! Good grief.
Mine came with the bike so it didn't realise what they cost.

Mine was on the Wing when I bought it as well. Don't think I would have paid that much - I had a Givi the same size on my old Burgman that cost less and came with the mount!
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 8:49 am

I've bought my last two topboxes (for SW and PCX150) from eBay. Both were at a substantial discount, and both were Honda-branded. I've forgotten the exact details but both were advertised as for other Honda models but I was able to determine that they would fit on the rack fitted on my bike.
Back to top Go down
Toolman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 12:38 am

Meldrew wrote:
The other genuine Honda accessories top box specifically for the Silver Wing SW-T 600 and 400 is a weird looking 40 litre monstrosity with a low sides and a curved central hump to accommodate the built in back rest. It costs about €250. It may be curvy but the shape makes it impractical.

I believe that's the one I'm seeing. Is it still available in the EU? I can't find it here in the states. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 3:36 am

Well it still is available, but you'd have to plough through the Honda motorcycles websites of quite a few EU countries to find one. The SW-T 600 was introduced in 2009 over in Europe but since then it's been dropped by some countries that had it in their scooter range in favour of the Integra. Even Honda Italy which until recently had both the SW-T 600 and SW-T 400, now only has the 400 model in their line up.

Just looking for that weird shaped top box is hard work because Honda has a large range of top boxes and many now are specifically colour matched for particular models. I've looked on the UK, Irish, French, and German websites and and there's nothing there. The humpbacked top box is on page 19 of the Accessories on the Honda Italy website, but it's listed as part of a top box and pannier set. You can buy it separately but it's not colour matched to the the old Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 3:55 am

I'm solo, so no need for a top box, I can do six days with the space under the seat, if it needs more space it will be gone without. Have removed the cast rear bracket saving weight aft, much better and thinking of removing the passengers foot rests and brackets the same. Now what I would really like is for a single seat option with a lightweight cover behind it to close of the all-ready humongous space underneath (you should be able to tell by now I previously only rode small screaming 2 strokes).
Love all the posts you guys !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 4:46 am

I wouldn't call the Silver Wing under seat storage humongous, it may be 55 litres but it has those two useless lumpy plastic dividers or whatever they are half way along the tray. They can prevent the seat closing when larger items are packed and are a nuisance. In comparison the Silver Wing the 2007 to 2016 Burgman 400 had a far more useful 62 litres underseat storage, I found my 650 Burgman had better storage than the Silver Wing too.

My experience of solo touring with the Silver Wing is a top box is essential, for example you stop in a nice town for a wander round and it's hot and sunny, you can't store your helmet and an textile jacket with rigid armour under the seat, or even a helmet,
jacket, and a separate back protector. For Euro touring you have to carry a spare bulb kit, first aid kit, and usually rain gear as well as your usual underseat junk. So the top box is where my helmet goes, man bag out, helmet in. I tend to buy stuff out on my travels so just having the under seat storage would be very limiting. In fact I use my Givi E55 every time I go out on a ride.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 8:27 am

I have a Givi E52which I use in the same way as Meldrew uses his E55 although I've made a partition out of cardboard which allows space for my crash helmet and contains/confines bits and pieces in one section.

I find the Givi better than the Honda box (which is stored in my lock-up).

I'd be interested to know from anyone who has used both E55 and E52 whether the extra 3 litres make a significant difference.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 9:21 am

I have both the Givi E52 and E55 top boxes and my E55 has been used almost exclusively since I bought my Silver Wing in 2010. In a nutshell the extra 3 litres are in the height of the box and it makes it easier to close the lid with one or two full face helmets or a helmet with a peak stored there. It's also handier when you put in a large bag of groceries as there's just less of a crush factor than when using the E52. There's also opening strut on both sides of the E55.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you very much for that!

Appearances can be deceptive; the E55 looks as if it has a lower profile.

I feel like buying something; I am persuaded. Smile
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 4:22 pm

I always ride with my E52. I installed Admore lights behind the red reflector covers which adds tail, brake, and turn signals. Coupled the my brake light flashers add visibility from behind me. The box is a great place to store my gloves, helmet, and reflective vest when reaching my destination. My under seat storage is for rain gear, cargo straps, and any heavy overflow items.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top box for Silver Wing   Top box for Silver Wing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top box for Silver Wing
Page 1 of 1