Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Potential snag! (or not)

Go down 
+6
tarmacburner2
MikeO
rodenbach
KurtPerthWA
Meldrew
Waspie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Potential snag! (or not) Empty
PostSubject: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Riding home tonight, aprox half a mile from home I, well the bike, developed a strange noise from the front end.

Stopped immediately to investigate in a convenient garage forecourt but couldn't see anything obvious. Rode the remaining half mile home cautiously still making a strange noise but less frequently or noisily. It is/was as if something was trapped in the fender/brake calliper.

So tomorrow morning in full daylight I will have a full investigation. Will remove the front wheel and fender if needed.

I'll keep you updated if I find something outside the norm!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Fender?? It's a mudguard lad! Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Fender?? It's a mudguard lad! Smile

Living in our democratic society as we do, I thought I would pander to the majority and that's what Mr Honda call's it in 'is book guv!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Although mudguard is the proper ENGLISH term for this item, in the case of the S'wing it would be more appropriate to use the vernacular of the Western Colonies.
I cannot imagine anyone using this machine in say an ISDT or scramble, much less a jolly jaunt through the hedgerows throwing up large chunks of mud and clods.
All it needs to have is something that can fend off large amounts of rain water (albeit salty)being sprayed up from the tarred road surface.
Mudguards are for Scots, the Welsh and dirt bikes.

band
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 am

Funny, the English language.

A lot of motoring related words are derrived form the couch-era. Like 'boot' -> storage compartment on stagecoach; or mudguard and windscreen. On the other hand 'bulkhead' is originally a nautical term. (In the U.S. it's a 'firewall') etc, etc...

I watch a lot of Discovery Channel, in English with Dutch subtitles. They broadcast both British and American programs, and the translator seems to be unaware of the differences.

E.g. in 'Wheeler Dealers' -a British show- the word 'hood' was translated as 'motorkap' (the covers of the engine) while they were showing a removable softtop on a convertible car...

I often wonder what Americans believe a 'car boot sale' is.
Second hand tyres (tires) or just low priced wheel clamps??? :lol!:

In fact, the only words that are consequently used on both sides of the pond, are abreviations, such as e.g. / i.e. / a.m. / p.m. ... and they are all Latin words...

Barba non fecit filosofum

b.t.w., Waspie: did you find the culprit???
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 6:33 am

I find it interesting, too, that many words crossed the Pond with the Pilgrim Fathers, fell out of use here but have come back and are used again.
'Proven' is one such although it's a pity that it's used in every case, even when it's grammatically incorrect.
For example, many people say,
" I have proven that so-and-so is true" when it should be,
"I have proved that......"

Slightly off topic but along the same lines:
On a Christmas Carol CD by Maddy Prior is a version of 'Away In A Manger' to a different tune from the familiar one.
I looked into it and discovered that, like many words, tunes also crossed with the Pilgrim Fathers and later 'returned' and it was pot luck as to which did or did not. In this case there were two equally popular tunes but only one came back.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 7:40 am

After a good examination I can find nothing that would cause the noise! It is too wet, i.e. torrential rain to take for a test ride so unable to confirm anything by a test ride. That will have to wait until tomorrow now as I have to take the cage to work night.

As for the English language at 60 I still find it amusing!!!!! Laughing

Speke as yu find! Shocked
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 am

Waspie wrote:
"It is too wet, i.e. torrential rain to take for a test ride so unable to confirm anything by a test ride".

See what I mean?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Waspie wrote:
"It is too wet, i.e. torrential rain to take for a test ride so unable to confirm anything by a test ride".

See what I mean?

That is sod all to do with the language just MY bad Anglaise speak!

Anyway what the blue blazes does an Aussie know about English? You invented your own version!!!! Laughing Engloz!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am

Freddy Mudguard...
Potential snag! (or not) Freddy+Fender+-+Tex-Mex+Hitmaker+-+Front
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 am

You missed the point, Waspie, I was making a statementfor wet roads,
I didna see nithing wrong with your grammar!

Laughing Cool cheers
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:33 am

Potential snag! (or not) Fender10
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Potential snag! (or not) Fender10

That's what I call a Fender!!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
You missed the point, Waspie, I was making a statementfor wet roads,
I didna see nithing wrong with your grammar!

Laughing Cool cheers

I did indeed. but that's cos I is thick! Laughing
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 pm

The last piece of true English grammar that many 'soon-to-be' Oostralians heard was,
"I hereby sentence you to be deported."

I would imagine that Kurt finds it amusing that 'Australia Day' celebrates the day (26 January 1788) that the first ships arrived at Port Jackson to create a penal colony. Laughing

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 am

Nah, Tarmacburner,

With the number Poms over 'ere, the English gramma is alive an' kickin' wot cha reckon guv.
Perth, ere is a large mix of Scots n English n wot 'ave ya, some of 'em even convict stock, but they nearly all luv the livin 'ere n' all that. The've even taken to COLD beer n' all.

"n" its never been deported, it was called "Transportation" The gentry sort of made it sound more like a 'oliday, didn't they.
Sort of backfired on them 'ey cos they sent the lags off to a sub tropcial resort while they suffered in the black smoked out towns with TB and all the other ****. The lags only got bad treatment after they kept compainin' that it wern't like 'ome.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 am

KurtPerthWA wrote:
The lags only got bad treatment after they kept compainin' that it wern't like 'ome.

Of course it wern't like 'ome, the chaps were used to spreading Marmite on their toast in England, and as part of their punishment they were forced to eat Aussie Vegemite instead, a sort of edible axle grease! Neutral
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 am

Oi! Meldrew,
Did you know that the original name for Vegemite (direct competition to Marmite) was Parwill?

The Kraft company had a sense of humour back in the 1920's

Obviously Meldrew has never eaten Vegemite, as in my opinion the only difference in these products is the name. They both taste like crepe.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 am

Of course I've tried Vegemite I had to, having an ex who watched every Aussie soap shown on the telly here, and being brainwashed by that Men at Work song "Down Under".

You can buy plenty of your er...tucker over here, Vegemite, ANZAC biscuits, flavoured liquorice, Lamingtons, Fosters, freeze dried Witchetty grubs, tins of condensed Wallaby milk etc.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 am

Hate to say it Meldrew, but that stuff is what the "furriners" think is true blue dinky di Oz Tucker, Just like Chinese take away......nothing like what the Chinese eat.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 am

Deportation - I sit corrected Kurt. Smile

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Eat Vegemite? I thought I was supposed to use it to pack bearings. Or grease the hinges on my truck's doors.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 pm

OOOOHHHH no never as a lube, Its packed with NaCl, and lots of it! But going by the looks and smell of it I reckon some people would be fooled and use it for grease. It would be put to better use as a tanning agent.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 10:19 pm

I suppose if a load of it fell off a truck you would really need a MUDGUARD to fend it off the Scoot if you had to ride through it.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks to a local import store I had the chance to try a few items that sounded some what ominous. A can of "Spotted dick" took me awhile to get up the courage to open the can. I had some fear of finding a diseased... well you know. I was surprised that it had nothing to do with meat. Not bad either once one got around the name. The next was a jar of Vegemite and a container of Marmite. The contents of these reminded me of Cosmoline, a thick waxy grease used by the Army to protect stored weapons from corrosion. Would have been great on my float plane's fittings.
These delights finally answered the question of why there are no English or Australian restaurants over here.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 am

Quote :
These delights finally answered the question of why there are no English or Australian restaurants over here.

Just so's you know - we ain't got any here either!
Although a new trendy chic restaurant near me has "Roo" burgers on its menu...!! bounce :lol!:
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:10 am

Atrick wrote:
Although a new trendy chic restaurant near me has "Roo" burgers on its menu...!! bounce :lol!:

Hey, Skippy tastes pretty good!! Wink Tastes a lot like deer meat! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 am

Oh dear !

Potential snag! (or not) 14u9swm
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 am

OK back on track.

The noise from the front end confirmed by garage as front wheel bearing failure. 17k miles! Almost the same as my Burgman 400.

So whilst the all fally downy bits get changed so will the bearings, now I only lose the bike once and also don't get my pinkies dirty!

Bargain!
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yA98MujNeM

MMMMMM roo burgers....with croc, bacon and witchety grubs.

Exavid...........There are no Oz eateries in Oregon cos its too freezing cold.
How cold is it? cold enough to freeze a squirrel's nuts, that's how cold.

Now back to a hot meat pie with tomato sauce and a nice cold Corona.

Oh Oh yeah, wheel bearings... round things with little balls in them... AND axle grease!

Please note Waspie,
Now that's a snag, smothered in tomato sauce wrapped in a slice of bread... healthy food for all. The Kooka's let us know when the snags are ready.
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Attachments
Potential snag! (or not) Attachmenti.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(8 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Last edited by KurtPerthWA on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 pm

I hate to break the news but Southern Oregon's climate is very mild. We rarely see snow here in the winter and spring, summer and fall tend to be in the 70-100F range. Two days ago it was 72F. It's cooling now and the rainy season has begun but ice on the road is rare indeed. The grapes have all been harvested as well as truck loads of pears and hunters are in the field after deer and elk which are plentiful. The squirrels are plump and seem to have no problems with their nuts.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yA98MujNeM

MMMMMM roo burgers....with croc, bacon and witchety grubs.

Exavid...........There are no Oz eateries in Oregon cos its too freezing cold.
How cold is it? cold enough to freeze a squieel's nuts, that's how cold.

Now back to a hot meat pie with tomato sauce and a nice cold Corona.

Oh Oh yeah, wheel bearings... round things with little balls in them... AND axle grease!

Please note Waspie,
Now that's a snag, smothered in tomato sauce wrapped in a slice of bread... healthy food for all. The Kooka's let us know when the snags are ready.
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Somehow Kurt, ball bearings smothered in grease and tomato sauce doesn't quite get the taste buds salivating! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm

exavid wrote:
I hate to break the news but Southern Oregon's climate is very mild. We rarely see snow here in the winter and spring, summer and fall tend to be in the 70-100F range. Two days ago it was 72F. It's cooling now and the rainy season has begun but ice on the road is rare indeed. The grapes have all been harvested as well as truck loads of pears and hunters are in the field after deer and elk which are plentiful. The squirrels are plump and seem to have no problems with their nuts.

And which thread did we 'think' we were posting in!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential snag! (or not)   Potential snag! (or not) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potential snag! (or not)
Page 1 of 1