Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!

Go down 
+13
DickO
CathyN
Windrider
Winger61
jodders1
WingMan02
"Hi Yo"
MikeO
john grinsel
honda_silver
RArch
Meldrew
Waspie
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! Empty
PostSubject: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:00 am

Just back from hospital.

Was shunted whilst stationary in a queue of traffic. Back of car a mess, Suffering from whiplash and head aches! Poor wifey is a lot worse. Now waiting for solicitors call to assess claims and the like!!!

Dozey cow who hit me said "sorry I didn't see you". Pushed me a yard forward so what (insert own expletive) speed was she doing? I was in a line of stationary traffic - how didn't she see it!!!!!

Pee'd off is a understatement.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 am

Sorry to hear that mate,

Let's hope dozey cow doesn't try to change her story once she's spoken to her insurers, and you and Mrs Waspie are soon on the mend.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Meldrew, I have a witness who's words at the time were and I quote; "the knob".

Like I say, Mrs W is worse than I.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Sorry to hear, hope you and your wife get well soon.

I wouldn't bet she wasn't on phone, playing with the radio, satnav or something else...

Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Waspie wrote:
Was shunted whilst stationary in a queue of traffic. Back of car a mess, Suffering from whiplash and head aches! Poor wifey is a lot worse.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Waspie wrote:
Dozey cow who hit me said "sorry I didn't see you".

Amazing how many people say that ... like it really helps!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:55 pm

UK law and US may be similar here.....hit an older person and...they never get 100% better----ins. should compensate.

I was hit from behind on my ReFlex by FAT PIG on cell phone----I was at stop sign. I and bike ended up on roof of Dodge minivan---that didn't hurt me, but the fall, with the bike in mix, did damage hand which had to be repaired....scooter total because of the expensive plastic. Didn't find out until later, that the pig's ins. should still be paying me a little each month or lump sum. Sure would have been a nice supply of extra money to support the bike/scooter hobby. "Didn't see you" often excuse. POLICE painted on rear of car....and they see.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Sorry sbout the crash, Doug - best wishes and healing thoughts winging their way to you both.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 10:02 pm

I hope both of you get well soon.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Very sorry to hear of your ordeal. Wish you a fast and healthy recovery to you and your wifey.
Aloha, Wingman02
Back to top Go down
jodders1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jodders1

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 5:40 am

hope you both have a fast recovery and your back on a silverwing soon
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 am

Hope you and Mrs Waspie soon feel a lot better Doug.

I think a lot of the time it's more a case of "I didn't want to see you, I was more interested in.....(insert almost anything!!)
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 am

If She didn't see you in a car, be glad you were not on the S-Wing
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Sorry to here about your accident. Wishing you and your wife have a speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Doug,
Haven't been following forum messages very closely lately... was really sorry to hear about you and Mrs. Waspie's ordeal. Hope you both get on the mend quickly. I can imagine that was quite a shock.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Waspie, that sucks and it is hard as all get-out to prevent being rear-ended like that. I hope you and your passenger get better soon.

I got really lucky about three years ago when I was driving my cage and saw traffic in front come to a sudden stop. I was keenly aware of the 18-wheeler behind me travelling quickly down the road (following way too closely). So rather than just braking, I began quickly hitting my horn. Almost immediately, I heard the semi driver lock up his brakes. I did my best to slow down as little as I could coming to a stop with a minimum distance between me and the cage in front of me. The driver in front got the idea and backed off on his brakes too. It took a while to clear, but four of us landed safely bumper-to-bumper and the semi went somewhat off-roading (over the curb). In the end, the horn maneuver probably saved my life and possibly a few others too. What was the cause for the sudden stop? Some boogerhead left a safety triangle in the middle of the right northbound lane of a restricted access four lane road during the AM rush hour at speeds of ~50-60MPH(US) and volume around 40 cars per minute in that direction alone. The road there is truly too narrow for the speeds and volume without at least having a berm to pull off on to safety when something goes dangerously wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Thank you guys for all your comments.

Mrs Waspie and I are recovering. Now it's just aches and a bit of stiffness.

As a few have said, lucky I wasn't on the Wing or I genuinely believe I would be in hospital for a wee stay!

It's all in the hands of the insurance companies and legal eagles now. Plan on returning to work tomorrow night as long as the permanent headache has gone.
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Waspie, Like the rest of the members I wish you both well.

Take care, J.R.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Waspie wrote:
Plan on returning to work tomorrow night as long as the permanent headache has gone.
Sorry, I ain't leaving. Smile
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Damn, Doug, glad you and Mrs. W are okay.

Had a few myself. Honestly, I think I get more near SMIDSY situations in the cage than the bike. Driving down Montana in El Paso, had some idiot in a MINI (not a dig on the car, love MINIs) decide he wanted to occupy the same space as me. He didn't look, just started drifting over, a quick honk woke him up. Thing is, my cage is a 04 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4. Lifted a bit too, so my hood was the same height as his roof. If he HAD looked, all he would have seen was a white fender and a 235/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T.

My favorite is the dipstick in a van who decided he didn't WANT to make a left so he moved back into the straight through lane. Ummmm, I'm going about 55, I slammed the brakes and leaned on the horn. Barely stopped short, didn't have time to look in the next lane so didn't DARE swerve. Honestly think the EBC sport rotors and pads I bought saved my bacon. That and Ford's ABS system.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
Waspie wrote:
Plan on returning to work tomorrow night as long as the permanent headache has gone.
Sorry, I ain't leaving. Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 am

Well, I'm going to attempt to ride to work tonight. First time on the bike since the accident.

The actual ride on the bike isn't a worry at all!! Wearing my helmet on my stiff and aching neck is daunting. Have to start sometime so I figure give a try today - if too painful or dangerous, I'll turn round and use the car.

Just to update anyone that's interested. Car is back, looks like a new pin - really pleased. Poor wifey is still suffering, officially off work due to the pain in her neck, back and throat.

As usual the claim is going to take a lot longer than the repair to the car. Just another milestone in the road that is life!

Ride safe folks, remember there are idiots out there driving but not looking!
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Hope the ride went ok. You certainly chose a good day, top temp of 13C, almost continuous drizzly rain all day where I was (around Winchester). Must have been similar down your way.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Nowun wrote:
Hope the ride went ok. You certainly chose a good day, top temp of 13C, almost continuous drizzly rain all day where I was (around Winchester). Must have been similar down your way.

Had drizzle here on 'Fraggle' most of the day, however, the force must have been with me and it dried up! Or at least stopped precipitating down!

Neck held out so it's back to normal commuting on ye Wing. Smile Smile Smile Really pleased about that.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Glad is getting back together for you. I shall be glad to collect my Wing. The sports fairing on my GS is next to useless in the rain - but not too wet today luckily
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:35 pm

With the Givi Airflow and the Wings already good weather protection it is a weather beater. How long now before you take delivery?
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:40 pm

End of Oct - perhaps pdi'd by first week in November. Farnham Honda are the dealers - highly recommended for customer service. It's an 80 mile round trip so should nearly be run in by the time I get home Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!   Just had a SMIDSY in the cage! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just had a SMIDSY in the cage!
Page 1 of 1