Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Underseat light I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Underseat light

Go down 
+7
RArch
rollsroyce250
Dimond
MikeO
GHM-PM
tinman
Starship Enterprise
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Starship Enterprise
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 am

Hello,

I found out my underseatlight isn't working because the earthwire wich switches it on and off isn't actually connected to anything....when I ground the cable the light comes on.

It exits the loom near the back of the airbox and the plug is on but theré doesn't seem to be anything to connect it to?

Can someone please explain to me, preferably with pics, where the plug needs to connect?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 am

The under seat light is known to kill the battery if the seat latch is not close properly. I disconnected mine and use a pop up led light that I keep under the seat . affraid
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 am

Maybe someone can answer your question properly. I will just say that most of us either remove the bulb or replace the light itself with a Honda unit with a switch. If you do not get the seat latched properly you will find a dead battery. Sounds like on yours the problem is already solved Shocked

I replaced mine with the switch unit (do a search on the forum) and have been very happy so far. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am

I do the same as tinman - frankly, the light needs to be on the underside of the seat. I usually manage to cover mine with stuff when I'm using the bike so no light would shine out anyway.

The magnet on the back of my LED lamp sticks firmly on the Utopia Backrest 'spine'.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

IMO - The OEM light is close to useless. Got the 'switch' one for $30 and it is just as useless. Neither one puts out much light and it is located in a poor spot. If I had to do it again - I would just remove the OEM bulb and go to plan B.
Back to top Go down
Starship Enterprise
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 am

Yes I understand the stock light is pretty much useless but still, I would really like to know where the ground wire goes!

I don't want loose wiring that is not as it should be see...
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Starship Enterprise wrote:

Can someone please explain to me, preferably with pics, where the plug needs to connect?
Thanks!

Pretty straightforward request.

The ground wire from the lamp (light green) connects to the mini connector at the luggage box light switch.
Back to top Go down
Starship Enterprise
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Ok, I'll be more specific...

Where is this switch located because I can't find it!

Pics if possible!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 pm

The switch for the light is built in to the rear lock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Just a guess here but it is possible that the wire is loose at the light (connector). Worth checking if you have no luck anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 pm

I switched the OEM bulb with an led bulb i got from ebay. Very happy with the light output- nice white light, the OEM gave a yellowish light output .I have never had an issue with the light staying on. Does the switch fail or does the operator fail to close the seat completely???
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:59 pm

hotwings wrote:
I switched the OEM bulb with an led bulb i got from ebay. I have never had an issue with the light staying on. Does the switch fail or does the operator fail to close the seat completely???

Do you have an EBay link that you care to share? I would like to get a better like to replace the one that sucks!

In my case it was a 'fear that I may forget' to close seat - which is why I ponied up the $30 - but I have actually never failed to close the seat - hence, a wasted $30, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 6:23 am

Dimond wrote:
hotwings wrote:
I switched the OEM bulb with an led bulb i got from ebay. I have never had an issue with the light staying on. Does the switch fail or does the operator fail to close the seat completely???

Do you have an EBay link that you care to share? I would like to get a better like to replace the one that sucks!

In my case it was a 'fear that I may forget' to close seat - which is why I ponied up the $30 - but I have actually never failed to close the seat - hence, a wasted $30, IMHO.

Not quite sure how to post a link here and i dont have time to figure it out as im on the way out the door and to work! just enter the info in the ebay search box (im sure you know this) Remember the led bulbs are polarity sensitive, so dont panic like i did when the bulb doesnt work at first, just turn the bulb around!! Here's the info i could find on my ebay archives;

2x 31mm Power 12 Smd Led Festoon Bulb 3021 3022 DE3175 (290698034236)

Member id bestnbestonline | Feedback Score Of 67035 | 99.3%

Sale date: 02/05/12

US $2.49
C $2.43
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 8:41 am

hotwings wrote:
Here's the info i could find on my ebay archives;
2x 31mm Power 12 Smd Led Festoon Bulb 3021 3022 DE3175 (290698034236)
Member id bestnbestonline | Feedback Score Of 67035 | 99.3%

Thanks for the tip. Just purchased one for $2 US, including shipping. I am excited to see if I can get any 'light' from my '$30 light'!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-31mm-Power-12-Smd-Led-Festoon-Bulb-3021-3022-DE3175-/300764750329?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item4606f9e1f9
Back to top Go down

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 am

I leave my seat open intentionally all the time, so the light bulb came out for me. I still have the bulb, it's in the little tool bag.

A little LED flashlight on my keychain works perfectly for me, I can even hold it in my teeth if I need both hands.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 am

I taped my bulb in some bubble wrap, put it back in the holder and put the light cover on. It's no longer drawing any current and apart from a means of flattening the battery the light was pretty rubbish anyway. The 18 or 21 LED battery lamp I keep under the seat now is far more useful and versatile.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Dimond wrote:
Just purchased one for $2 US, including shipping. I am excited to see if I can get any 'light' from my '$30 light'!

Well, the $2 LED light works wonders! Gives me enough light that I can see into every crack and crevice - far better than the stock light - which is useless.

PS - I might add that if you have retrofitted the Honda Car Switch (like I did), then the LED bulb is a very, very tight fit - but it does fit.

Last edited by Dimond on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 am

Since underseat lights are not big issue with me, I prefer riding, on delivery of new scooter/bike---I simply take bulb out---then no worry of switch malfunction/dead battery, etc. Camping I do have flashlite as well for roadside nite repairs/adjustments.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 5:39 am

Dimond wrote:
Dimond wrote:
Just purchased one for $2 US, including shipping. I am excited to see if I can get any 'light' from my '$30 light'!

Well, the $2 LED light works wonders! Gives me enough light that I can see into every crack and crevice - far better than the stock light - which is useless.
Nice to hear !
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 am

Meldrew wrote:
I taped my bulb in some bubble wrap, put it back in the holder and put the light cover on. It's no longer drawing any current and apart from a means of flattening the battery the light was pretty rubbish anyway. The 18 or 21 LED battery lamp I keep under the seat now is far more useful and versatile.
Glad to see you found something else that works just a little bit better than the HONDA origingal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Underseat light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underseat light   Underseat light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underseat light
Page 1 of 1