Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Windscreen Sun Warning

Go down 
+5
Dimond
PatrickDoss
john grinsel
Meldrew
Leon Grigg
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Leon Grigg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-04-14

Givi Windscreen Sun Warning Empty
PostSubject: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Hell-o Everyone, I just recieved a new Givi Windscreen; unwrapping it I saw a sticker that warned about sunlight. Does anybody have anything to share about this?
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Leon Question
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:29 am

There was some discussion about this sticker last year and the dire consequences of parking in direct sunlight for prolonged periods. One year later and the US has had one of it's longest hottest summers and there hasn't been one complaint on here about Airflows warping, discolouring, spontaneously bursting into flames etc.

No doubt to avoid this happening you all parked up under giant Redwood trees or in the underground car park of the nearest shopping mall on hot days. Neutral
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 7:50 am

Personal experience-----no trouble in direct sunlight ---have had several GIVI windshields----but other brand, direct hot sun (Japan) BIKE COVER-----shield bent over---guess real hot under cover. I prefer riding over worry.
Back to top Go down
Leon Grigg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 10:24 am

Very Good Thank Basketball You to all!
I am with john g. I am going to prefer riding over worrying.
Leon Smile
Back to top Go down
PatrickDoss
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Not sure what the sticker warns about, but on some of the aftermarket windshields for my Goldwings, it has happened that the curve of the windshield refracts the sunlight similar to a magnifying glass, and causes damage to the dashboard area. It's normally recommended to use a cover for the shields that can cause this when in the sun (I just slipped an old t-shirt over it).
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Insofar as the Givi Airflow AND a Honda SilverWing - there does not seem to be any reason for concern - while it could happen - no one has ever reported it.

I did a 'write-up' on this topic under the Givi AirFlow 'sticky' that has a LOT more discussion on this topic - but here are my conclusions:

Conclusions
So here is what I have concluded so far:
a) Windshields (stock or aftermarket) can cause damage (melt/burn) to plastic parts on motorcycles/scooters.
b) Some combinations of bike/windscreen may be more problematic than others.
c) The problem is not widespread across most bike models but there seem to be isolated situations where a combination of model/windscreen can be problematic.
d) There are other phenomena (other than the caution provided by Givi on their windscreens) that can lead to melted plastic on bikes - but these phenomena are not addressed in this post and are likely not relevant to Silverwings.
e) There have been no reported issues of damage to Silverwings by windscreens (any type) - except for the Honda tall (see link above).
f) There have been no reported damage by the AF214 to any SilverWing (as far as I know).
g) There have been reported damage due to Givi windscreens - just not on Silverwings.
h) The potential AF214 cautionary label seems to be reflective - not refractive. The damage potential is from sun shining from the rear of the bike towards the front of the bike and reflecting off the windscreen onto the dash (or some other part).
i) Solutions that others (not necessarily AF214 or Silverwing owners) have used include: large t-shirt (or cover) on windscreen; dash cover; parking angle; film on windshield - not sure that any of these solutions are necessary for the AF214 or that some even work.
j) The cautionary label that Givi puts on their windscreens does not mean that a problem WILL develop with the AF214 - just that a problem could develop - and it is the same label used on their other windscreens. Givi would not admit to any of their windshields causing problem - but the internet forums clearly indicate that Givi windscreens can cause problems with some bikes.

Last edited by Dimond on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Unable to comment as I live in the UK.

(We haven't had a summer) Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 2:45 am

Waspie: over the last few weeks I guess you've been imprisioned on Portland by the Olympics otherwise you could've visited Bournemouth where the temp. got to 25ยบ on some days...!!! sunny
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 am

Oop North we have occasionally seen the sun but it never got that hot for very long !!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:24 am

Atrick wrote:
Waspie: over the last few weeks I guess you've been imprisioned on Portland by the Olympics:

Oh so true!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 am

It was exceedingly hot in Kent yesterday but my screen didn't melt. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi Windscreen Sun Warning   Givi Windscreen Sun Warning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi Windscreen Sun Warning
Page 1 of 1