Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trunk mount

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 8:20 am

Smile Hello; My question is whether the trunk mount would effect the ride. Offset the balance and all. I took my box off the other night and noticed that I got a better ride. Thanks.
MarkR
Back to top Go down

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 9:30 am

There has to be some wind resistance. I'm hoping for a little more weight to bring the back end down so I will be flat-footed...LOL. I will put light things in the case.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:23 pm

I recently added a smallish (35 liter) Givi topcase to my Swing, and I can't say I notice any difference at all, which in my case I'm happy to say. The ride feels the same to me, which is to say, pretty good, with or without the trunk.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 7:54 pm

swing one wrote:
Smile Hello; My question is whether the trunk mount would effect the ride. Offset the balance and all. I took my box off the other night and noticed that I got a better ride. Thanks.
MarkR

There can be little question that the center of gravity (CG) is raised (moved up) and moved slightly rearward (aft) when the top box is mounted on the bike. The movement of the CG aft may not be as noticeable as the movement up, which truth be told is probably barely noticeable with an empty box. The CG does affect the balance, more so when the top box is loaded down. I rarely ride with the top box installed when just commuting. We only use them for travelling and remove them once we reach our destination.

Coralee - I don't think you will be able to add enough weight to the top box to see a significant compression of the rear suspension.

Another observation here: Carrying around extra weight in the trunk of your car redduces MPG. I'd have to guess that carrying extra weight around in the underseat trunk and top box would reduce the MPG of our scoots.

Last edited by jdeereanton on Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct spelling errors.)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:53 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Another observation here: Carrying around extra weight in the trunk of your car redduces MPG. I'd have to guess that carrying extra weight around in the underseat trunk and top box would reduce the MPG of our scoots.

When I went to Big Bend National Park, I had the SWing full packed AND my camping gear (tent, thermarest pad, sleep bag and camping chair) strapped across the passenger pillion. I was still getting 60 MPG on a hilly roller coaster ride.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Bill,

I'll admit Kim and I generally get better mileage when travelling. I get terrible mileage in comparison while commuting. When we are travelling we cover longer distances without stopping and I tend to keep the speed under control a bit more. I wonder about a head to head comparison between commuting and touring with equal load conditions.

But - did you notice a difference in handling with the load on your bike?
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:42 pm

I've never really noticed any difference with the top case (Givi E50). When we travel, we try to load the lighter stuff in the top box and the heavier stuff under seat, but it doesn't always work out the way. Still, I don't really notice any balance issues with the top box.

When my wife is on the pillion it will compress the rear shocks enough that my 'look over' windscreen becomes a 'look through.' Rear passenger does affect balance, center of gravity, etc. But I haven't really noticed much different with just the top box. Of course, I rarely take it off, so I am used to riding with it on.

Come to think of it, I took it off about a month ago so that I could place my new tires over the Givi passenger backrest, bungie them down and take it to the dealer to have the tires installed. Didn't really feel any different then than with the topcase on.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:51 am

jdeereanton wrote:
I wonder about a head to head comparison between commuting and touring with equal load conditions.

I live in the country and drive back and community roads to school to avoid traffic and delays with some stop signs and stop lights then travel to work on busier roads with stop lights and slightly higher speeds. On the way home I may ride on the interstate after picking up my daughter at school ... so most of the roads 55 or 65 MPH.

I changed the Power Commander map before my Big Bend Trip and when I returned with the same map ... my commuting milage jumped to 56 MPG.

jdeereanton wrote:
But - did you notice a difference in handling with the load on your bike?

I did not notice any significant difference. When I load the trunk with heavy groceries (without loading the seat storage) then I notice the load on the bike.

Last edited by honda_silver on Mon May 25, 2009 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 2:54 pm

honda_silver wrote:
...When I load the trunk with heavy groceries (without loading the seat storage) then I notice the load on the bike.

And I think that's the kind of feedback swing one was inquiring about.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 8:10 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
honda_silver wrote:
...When I load the trunk with heavy groceries (without loading the seat storage) then I notice the load on the bike.

And I think that's the kind of feedback swing one was inquiring about.

The heavy groceries weight is much heavier then what I would pack for travel. The only time I feel the heavy weight is slow speed maneuvering especially self-propelled movement.

If I am traveling I would try to pack heavier items that I do not need frequently in the seat storage.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi swing one,
I just put my Bestem 929 box on a few weeks ago; it's a fairly large container. Haven't had it loaded to any degree so can't speak for that feature. Have been out in some windy conditions tho and thought I might have some problems there; surprisingly - no.

My biggest buggaboo was that at first I kept thinking I was getting glimpses of someone following too closely; but got used to seeing the corners of the box back there. Guess I need some mirror extensions to increase my field of vision. All-in-all, the box hasn't interferred with any riding conditions that I've had.
Back to top Go down

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:49 pm

I do notice a difference with a side wind when the top box is on .When I go on my trip I will just keep gloves and helmets in the top box .I will keep heavy stuff under the seat ,and a duffle bag with clothes on the passenger seat .
Some times I cary a 5 gallon water jug on the back seat ,now that you notice on corners .I think it is worse than a passenger .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trunk mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trunk mount   Trunk mount I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trunk mount
Page 1 of 1