Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from Chicago

Go down 
+5
"Hi Yo"
tvanloon
Meldrew
Waspie
Smaug
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Fellas.

I'm thinking of buying a used Silverwing advertised here locally. I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller.

I started riding in 2000, on motorcycles. I had a few scooters during that time, I found I like scootering as much as motorcycling: No engine heat to deal with, inherent storage, etc. I had a Honda Metropolitan 50, a Geniune Buddy 125, a Suzuki Burgman 400 among those. The older ones of you, I bet, came from motorcycles, I bet. The younger ones, maybe from smaller scooters.

I'm re-entering the world of two wheels after a crippling accident in 2009. I crashed my KLR650 because I went into a blind turn too hot. I leaned over until I was scraping the pegs so hard the rear tire lost traction, and I low-sided and went tumbling into the woods at 40 mph. I broke my leg in 3 places, and thankfully nothing else. (thanks to full gear, which saved my skin and my skull)

Now, I have grudging permission to get a scooter, but not a motorcycle. My wife feels (she may be right) that I'd be less tempted to do something stupid on a scooter than on a motorcycle, even if it is a fast scooter)

The Burgman, we really liked. It didn't give the thrilling acceleration of our old FJR1300, but it was comfortable for two.

She won't be riding any more with me, because we have a 5 month old child, and she doesn't feel it is a good risk that we might both be killed at once.

So now, I'm shopping for a used scooter. I was thinking 150-250cc.

Question 1: I recall that the Burgman only got mid 50s mpg fuel economy, and I've heard that if a Silverwing is ridden carefully, it can get low 50s, but is also not working so hard to go 70. (is that true?) Maybe this is partly due to the 'wing being a twin instead of a big thumper. One seller says it will get high 60s fuel economy. I'm quite skeptical about this, even as a 180 lb. rider in the outlying suburbs...

Question 2: I also would like to know how the off-the-line accleration of the 'wing is. On the Burgman, it had quite a lot of clutch slip before it would actually get moving. It was kind of irritating.

The 'wing seems to be a bit smaller and lighter than the Burgman 650, which I like. It looks to be about the same size as my old Burgman 400, actually.

My wife is still not happy with the idea of my riding again, but she grudgingly agreed, if I limit it to a scooter.

Question 3: Last thing, what are the major model year differences? I have a choice between an '04 and an '07. The seller of the '07 says it is still under factory warranty. (if that's true, he must have bought a hell of an extended warranty!)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 am

Welcome to the forum Smaug, a Tolkien reader perchance?

Q1, for me mpg is subjective for the Wing, it really does depend on how we ride the machine. I don't worry too much about the return I receive.

Q2, Acceleration, unable to comment. As a previous owner AN400 rider I found the Wing narrower certainly at the handle bars. The machine is longer then the Burgman.

Q3, I have an 07, (Bought in 09) I bought the extended Honda Warranty so my 07 is still under manufacturers warranty.

Others will be along regards specifics of Q's 1 & 2.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Smaug wrote:
I'm quite skeptical about this, even as a 180 lb. rider in the outlying suburbs...

Hello mate, you're probably 100lbs lighter than most of your fellow Americans on here! Wink
Back to top Go down
tvanloon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
tvanloon

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Q1 - My experience is when riding between 55mph - 70mph (single or with wife on the back) I am averaging anywhere between 47mpg - 50mpg. I have an 07 with 14,000+ miles on it an I love it. If I ride alone and get on it at the stop lights running around town I get a little less mpg.

Q2 - I think the acceleration is very good for a scooter. At a stoplight start I can get up to 60 very quickly (and smoothly)...but all of this is subjective to what you have been riding. Go try out the Swings and see what you think on the test ride.

Q3 - I don't see much difference between the years except for some little items...most people will upgrade the windshield to one a little taller and wider (Givi has lots of options). My decision was between an 04 with 2910 miles or an 07 with 12,000 miles and I chose the 07...figured the 04 had just sat too much of the time and didn't want to get into a rust in the cylinders oil use problem plus some of those little things added up (had the up-graded windshield etc).

Good luck and happy buying!
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm

Well fellas, I will officially join your ranks soon.

I just comitted to buy a 2004 Silverwing. It has a couple scratches from low/no speed drops, but I got it for $2623 out the door, including license plate.

My only regret is that it hasn't got ABS.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from Chicago 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

Smaug, you've already joined our ranks. Now comes the fun part. That sounds like a heck of a deal. Congratulations. cheers
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from Chicago 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:22 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Smaug wrote:
I'm quite skeptical about this, even as a 180 lb. rider in the outlying suburbs...

Hello mate, you're probably 100lbs lighter than most of your fellow Americans on here! Wink
Meldrew, I resemble that remark; I mean, I resent that remark. Smile
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 am

I'm 230lbs and the Swing has sufficient accel for me. If I want my head snapped back, I'll go to the beach with my wife and look at other women.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 am

Waspie wrote:

I am. You might be surprised how many folks don't get the reference. I thought everyone had read The Hobbit. One doesn't even have to be hardcore enough to read The Lord of the Rings.

Speaking of which, I've just started reading The Hobbit to my 5 month old daughter. Never to early, right?
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:44 am

Helmet is out for delivery. Hi-Viz jacket and deerskin gloves are in the trunk of my other Honda. Armored pants are going to have to wait a bit.

I'll pick it up tonight, with any luck!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Smaug wrote:
Waspie wrote:

I am. You might be surprised how many folks don't get the reference. I thought everyone had read The Hobbit. One doesn't even have to be hardcore enough to read The Lord of the Rings.

Speaking of which, I've just started reading The Hobbit to my 5 month old daughter. Never to early, right?

Agree, never to soon to be Hobbit'd!!! Laughing

The Silmarillion was a bit hard going though!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3791
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:18 am

You managed to get to the end? Shocked
My admiration knows no bounds!

Apart from The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings, my favourite Tolkien story is Farmer Giles Of Ham.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 6:35 am

MikeO wrote:

You managed to get to the end? Shocked
My admiration knows no bounds!

Apart from The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings, my favourite Tolkien story is Farmer Giles Of Ham.

Know what you mean Mike, a lot of 'begating' in The Silmarillion!!!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 am

I remember The Hobbit being read to us at school in the 50's, and read it again a few years ago. I then read the full Lord of the Rings trilogy in one go, it was hard work. I know it's a classic, but all that singing and poetry and stuff everytime they sat round a campfire was really tiresome. Coincidentally the first Lord of the Rings film came out at the end of that year so I went.

I didn't enjoy it that much, it more interesting observing the local chavs squirming in their seats waiting for the interval to start so they could rush out and empty their bursting bladders of a litre of ice cold Pepsi. Or grooming themselves of stray bits of popcorn like you see monkeys picking fleas off each other.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 am

I didn't make it through the Silmarillion either. I kept trudging through, waiting for it to get better.

With all the begatting, I started taking notes. Then I thought: "Wait just a damn minute. This is supposed to be FUN, not studying history!" That was when I put it on the shelf.

I think I might release it into the wild with bookcrossing.org.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Smaug,

welcome To the Forum, you will enjoy all the information and socializing on this site. What part of Chicago are you from? Enjoy the ride and be safe.
Back to top Go down
jmcamionero71
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
jmcamionero71

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Chicago   Hello from Chicago I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Chicago
Page 1 of 1