Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Yesterday at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Time for tires I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Time for tires

Go down 
+14
MungoJerry
alloo
JeffR_
Daboo
Meldrew
bikerboy
MikeO
Waspie
Old Limey
john grinsel
Donodii
LarryB
robert
smorkle
18 posters
AuthorMessage
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 pm

I have 12,000 miles on the front tire (original tire) and about 4000 on the rear (got whatever I could get the fastest when it blew out last year) so I'm thinking about getting a whole new pair and keeping the old ones for emergencies. I've seen some talk on the forum about Pirelli's and I've used Avon tires in the past on a different scooter. I'm just looking for input from those who have a preferred tire brand or perhaps changing the size up or down just a tad for a smother ride.

Please give me some links in your responses.

Thank you all in advance.
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Been looking through tire posts and found motorcycle superstore.

I'm thinking I'm going to get a Michelin Power Pure for the rear. 150/70-13
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/45422/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Power-Pure-SC-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=Cart_Item

and a Pirelli Diablo for the front. 120/80-14
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/5806/ITEM/Pirelli-Diablo-Performance-Front-Scooter-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=Cart_Item

Does anyone know if changing to a slightly taller/shorter or Wider/thinner would make any performance difference? The sizes I listed are the existing sizes and typically I will get the same thing unless I know of someone who will tell me "if you change to xxx you'll get better...." so I'm just interested in opinions.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 5:36 pm

I would stay with the same size as the originals as recommended by Honda, but a different brand with more grip and longer mileage. Alot of riders like the Pirelli's or Metzler's. Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
LarryB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I changed from nearly new Avon to new Metzeler Feel Frees. There was a huge difference. The Metzelers are very smooth, even at 80mph. They grip well on rain slick roads too. I am completely satisfied with them.
Back to top Go down
Donodii
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Donodii

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 6:05 am

I am half way through my 2nd set of Diablo's and I like them a lot. I am thinking about the Michellin pilot, dual compound tire as the next rear tire.
I got 11K on the Diablo's first set and by the looks of the second set, it will be about the same.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 am

First look at Honda recommended tires on sticker, Bridgestone or IRC. standard sizes period. On SilverWing IRC seemed better for me. In past 15 or so years I have had 4 Bridgestone scooter tire failures.

Tackle Box Techs in almost all cases can not out guess Honda. Do own tire work! Ride On is working as balancing method for me. In my riding time, 57 years I have used up 250-400 bike/scooter tires.

Diablo have worked for me on ReFlex---have fresh set on my new Burgman 400---Burgman some problems, turn in, wet handling/bridge steel mesh----guess what? they are not on makers recommended list! Burgman and SilverWing use same size tires---in Bridgestone Burgman is different part # and probably different compound due to handling chacteristics of the machines. Object is to keep the bike upright!

I ride 20-50,000 a year, so get to experience lots of tire changes. Stick with Honda's recommended for the machine to handle the way it was designed. remember scooters are handling compromise no need to make them worse.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Would you say stick with Bridgestone's on the Silverwing John?. The Metzeler feel free on the rear is giving me better mileage than the Bridgestone and no problems with handling wet, or dry. My front tyre is down to 3mm so, i was going to try a feelfree next time, but i have had nearly 10,000mls out of it as i did with the last Bridgestone.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:10 pm

I agree with John on the tyre issue.

Honda tested the machine on Bridgestones and IRC's and they decided they were the best overall tyre.

That said, experimentation is good for the soul. Good luck!

Me - I'm sticking with B/Stones as they are easier to acquire!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 5:10 pm

I ended up ordering Diablo's front and rear last night. They're due in Friday.

I have 12k on the front tire that is the original tire, an IRC brand.
The rear tire got about 8000 miles before it blew out. I ordered "a tire" for my bike from the local Honda dealership and it came in as a Dunlop. It only has 4000 miles on it and not at all worn out but I'm replacing it and keeping both tires as spares for the future in case of emergency.

I only started this thread to get ideas, not to start an argument.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't know about availability of IRC in UK. US no problem at Dennis Kirk and I understand some SilverWings may have come thru with IRC as OEM.

Based on first running mixed Bridestone and IRC and later matched IRC, I found I liked IRC better. Really any difference? Maybe only in the head, but as I said in past I have had Bridgestone failures in past on Helix and ReFlex....and don't want to go thru that again.

My take in Metzler---bought several replacements in Germany=severe out of balance. Pirelli and Metzler are same company.

Last Continental---rear on Kawasaki 4 cy voyager=ok. 50 years ago we used to think they slipped a lot in rain. SilverWing?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 4:17 am

John, never seen IRC advertised in the UK therefore never looked for them.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 4:20 am

It's a knotty problem; I had IRCs on mine from new and the rear was replaced with the same a couple of months ago.
When I bought my first X9, Michelin Gold Standards were 'the' tyre for them and they were very good, vastly superior to the Pirellis it came with. However, there was a dodgy batch, prone to delamination, and Michelin replced them all FOC. My rear MGS delaminated suddenly at 60+ MPH on a fairly major road. It was a very loud bang!

My next X9, the 500, had them as standard but the rear was replaced with a Bridgestone Hoop - brilliant tyre!

I bet if one were to go through all the scooter forums the pro-comments on every brand of tyre would be exactly balanced by all the con-comments.

I don't see any argument here, only the expression of opinions based on first-hand experience. Wink
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 am

Mine had Hoops from new and the rear lasted ~6000 miles but I was very happy with the grip and handling so I've fitted the same again.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 am

bikerboy wrote:
Mine had Hoops from new and the rear lasted ~6000 miles but I was very happy with the grip and handling so I've fitted the same again.

Wow, 6k on a rear tyre. Shocked

Have to ask - how do you do it? I am changing my Hoops every 4k! I don't do motorway riding all mine is rural. chickendance
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 pm

I seem to average 8-8500 out of any rear tyre regardless of the size of the bike or scooter. I'm used to Bridestone Hoops as I've had them on on a few other scooters apart from my Silver Wing, and the 650 Burgman is the only scooter where I've thought they were a bit iffy.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 pm

MikeO wrote:
...I don't see any argument here, only the expression of opinions based on first-hand experience. Wink
That's actually one of the reasons I come here as a Burgman 400 owner. Our scooters use the same size tires.

If I read the manufacturer's marketing text, every tire gives the best traction in all conditions, wet or dry, and lasts the longest. I'm surprised they don't include that the tires cure gout and regrow hair as well. Wink

So I place a lot more value on other's opinions based on their personal experience on what tire is better than others.

Chris
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:00 pm

I've had the Hoops, Diablo's, and now the Metzler's and I won't go back to the Hoops. I think they may last a bit longer but I'm getting 9,000-10,000 with the Diablo's and not sure yet with the Metzler's. It's just that the Hoops didn't seem as smooth or tracked as well. But this is just my seat of the pants feeling. All 3 above are good tires though.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Of course tyres become worn and need replaced, I remember hearing about tyres 'cupping' on another topic on here, I hadn't a clue what that was about, mine just wear down. I've never had this mythical back pressure you get using various aftermarket screens either. scratch
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm just intrigued how people are getting in excess of 6k miles on their Hoops. I manage 4k miles. The best I have had is nearly 5,000.

Begs the question what am I doing wrong or at the least different? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Ride it like you stole it !!!!
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Doug, just wondering if riding style, two up, weight of rider and gear, or even temperature and road conditions, could account for riders getting different mileage out of their tires. Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 3:29 pm

robert wrote:
Doug, just wondering if riding style, two up, weight of rider and gear, or even temperature and road conditions, could account for riders getting different mileage out of their tires. Ride Safe.

Probably, I ride solo, suspension on setting 5, 190 Lbs. The roads around where i do the majority of my riding are very hard due to our main battle tanks driving around on them. May be wearing the tyres at a higher rate.

Not a worry really, just curious why I appear to be getting 2k miles less than most folk.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

My 6000 miles was right on, if not over the UK legal limit. I do spend a lot of time riding the less used minor roads of North Lancashire and the Yorkshire Dales and as these often have poor surfaces I suspect that this may result in more rapid tyre wear.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 pm

bikerboy, you travel the same roads i do. My rides are usually weekdays , but i'm also out at weekends,funnily enough i got lost recently around Leyland, when the main road to Southport was closed off. I seem to get over 10,000mls on a front Bridgestone hoop, and around 6-7000mls on a rear hoop. The rear Metzler iam running on has done 8000mls and still has 3mm of tread on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
alloo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:55 pm

The Hoops may have been designed for the Silverwing, but new tire technology has come out after. I'm thinking about Metzlers.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 am

Think about this---tires may have advanced, but SilverWing has not. I still say stick with what Honda tested/recommends. My NT700V Honda came to US market late in its production run----I think Bridgestone BT20 approved tire---worked fine in my case...replaced fr and rear with same, meantime people were trying newer bike didn't work any better.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 9:03 am

New Bridgestone scooter specific tyre due out in our size later in the year.
Back to top Go down
MungoJerry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-11-18

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Waspie wrote:
bikerboy wrote:

Wow, 6k on a rear tyre. Shocked

Have to ask - how do you do it? I am changing my Hoops every 4k! I don't do motorway riding all mine is rural. chickendance

Wow! I use nothing but Hoops on my Majesty and Silverwing. I get 12-13k rear 16-18k front on Majesty. On the silverwing I have 13K on front and 8k on the rear now after just finishing a cross country run, all interstate at speed, in 90-100+ temps and there is thousands of mile left on both tires. I keep tires inflated to suggested maximum levels in hot weather and i-2 lbs over in cooler weather. I got caught in flash flood conditions in western Colorado and the Hoops never slipped, even a tad, climbing a 11k ft summit or on the decline with significant twisties.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 4:09 pm

I liked the profile of the Hoop I had on the X9; it seemed to have less of a shoulder than other makes. That may have been my imagination but it boosted my confidence greatly at the time.
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 4:58 pm

My tires came in on Friday and now I have to find a shop nearby to install them for me. I was very impressed with the ordering to receiving time with Motorcycle Superstore. Ordered them on Tuesday night and they arrived on Friday afternoon. I'm hoping they'll be good ones.
Back to top Go down
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 am

I helped build Goodyear tires for about 11 years. At the time they had a research group that studied other companies tires. I remember they bought 40 tires from Michelin from 4 different plants in different countries. We were blown away by the fact that, after taking the tires all apart, the weight of components from all the tires only varied a few grams. We couldn’t get two pieces of tread coming out of the same machine that close.
The other thing we were aware of was that vehicle companies made deals with tire companies to supply them with original equipment tires.
The companies wanted good tires, and got them, but most of the decisions
were made from sales meetings that had more to deal with “deals” than whats the best tire.
Tires have advanced a lot. I, personally, will go with the experiences that users on this board have had. As one writer mentioned, the riding style, road conditions, and weight will affect performance and life. Different tires have various strong points.
It would be great if, when reporting on a tire, you could include what factors your tires are subjected to. It is great that people are taking the time to share information. I think a good set of tires should be one of a persons most important decisions for safety and comfort.
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 pm

I can't remember where I got the advice, but whomever it was that was recommending Pirelli Diablo's THANK YOU! I changed the front tire about 3 weeks ago and it handled well, but boy I noticed a HUGE difference when I changed the back tire. I'll be getting those again in the future, I don't care WHAT John Grinsel says about factory tested tires.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 am

Johnnygone wrote:
I think a good set of tires should be one of a persons most important decisions for safety and comfort.

!00% agree. +1
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:03 am

I think most bike / car manufacturers choice of tyre is dependant on performance (for some of the above that would be a minor consideration) and cost - designed by accountants not engineers!

Swapped the Hoops for Metzeler Feel Free Wintecs (on both Silverwing and Burgman) and very pleased with them.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:29 am

What is a tyre?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:34 am

hotwings wrote:
What is a tyre?

A 'tyre' my dear colonial chum is a correctly spelt tire!

Simple really. Laughing
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 am

Waspie and I never tire of correcting poor spelling practices of Mssrs Webster through to F*&k'n Wagnells.
We are tired of scuffing out out tyres on bluestone roads.
We also wear socks.... Oh S^#t!!! now I'm sounding like Meldrew!.

HUMOUR us!

chickendance band chickendance
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 am

Waspie wrote:
hotwings wrote:
What is a tyre?

A 'tyre' my dear colonial chum is a correctly spelt tire!

Simple really. Laughing
Maybe in 1649! Ye olde tyre cometh in rubber noweth!! No moreth woodeneth!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time for tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for tires   Time for tires I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for tires
Page 1 of 1