Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How to confirm recalls have been done?

Go down 
+3
GHM-PM
honda_silver
Octarine
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

How to confirm recalls have been done? Empty
PostSubject: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 3:04 pm

My 02 Swing has had three recalls issued, Center stand, Handle bar, and rear wheel.

I just got off the phone with Honda Corporate and they told me the recalls were done.

HOWEVER, the dealer that allegedly did them went out of business and the CSR at Honda told me that they never received a claim for the work from Honda of Mateno.

I've been around the block a few times and one thing I know is, if the service dept. doesn't get paid, the work doesn't get done!

Is there any way to check that the parts have been replaced? I'm hoping for different part numbers, or some other easy to visually inspect difference.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Octarine wrote:
Is there any way to check that the parts have been replaced?

Sign the Silverwing up on Honda Ownerlink and see what it tell you.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info, I didn't even know of Honda Ownerlink. No recalls on my 2012, yahoo!
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:22 pm

I got an error when I tried to look up recalls on ownerlink.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 pm

You have to set up an account first for the recall section to work. I was able to add my wife's Honda Metropolitan to my account; no recalls on it either.
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Did that evwn updated some service records but no access to recalls so far.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 am

You are approaching this wrong. Although this is a ten year old scooter, take it to Honda Dealer and let them figure it out. I believe on safety recalls, there is owner responsibility to get it to Honda, but Honda is responsible to perform them...probably regardless of age.... Wheel and bar are Safety-----stand...probably too many fat people sat on bike up on centerstand and it bent, not a killer. You might get a new wheel and I don't know what bar recall was.
Same on stand, either repair or new one. Real repair action is better than playing with computer on issues that could kill you, my take...I am rider.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 3:17 pm

When I took my wing in for service, that's the first thing they checked
:whether there were any open recalls of my 2007 Silverwing.
I'm sure that's pretty standard procedure for any Honda service dept.
There's two many lawyers( no offense to those of you in the legal fraternity,
just a statement of fact) and two many lawsuits so honda has to protect themselves.
John is right, take it to a Honda dealer and let them check for any recalls
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 5:08 pm

surlybiker58 wrote:

John is right, take it to a Honda dealer and let them check for any recalls

Good point, but from what I have read on here so far, it doesn't appear that many take their Wings into Honda for service...

That is why an account with Honda Ownerlink is a good idea imho.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 8:56 pm

My approach different.....maybe because I have purchased over 75 new bikes. You don't need to have honda servvice your bike----just stop in and let them check, using your VIN. Work not been done, they will arrange to do and order parts if necessary. Simple. Computer link won't fix it for you!
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 9:28 pm

The problem is, the paperwork says it was done but the dealer was never paid. Now maybe the dealer did the work out of some sense of altruism since he didnt submit a claim. Unfortunately, given my experience with moto and car dealers I find altruism to be a rare trait amongst them Smile

I plan to find out how to tell if the recalls were done independently. I know what to look for on the center stand and the handle bars. I just need to find out the difference in the replaced rear rim.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 10:35 pm

john grinsel wrote:
My approach different.....maybe because I have purchased over 75 new bikes. You don't need to have honda servvice your bike----just stop in and let them check, using your VIN. Work not been done, they will arrange to do and order parts if necessary. Simple. Computer link won't fix it for you!

OK your explanation makes more sense. I can see that. In my case though the nearest dealer is either 90 miles away (in WA) or 40 miles away (in Arizona) so I don't usually just drop in.
Smile
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Call 800 784 1870 and give them the serial number. They will tell you if the recall work is complete. If it is not, then it will be done for free regardless of age or how many owners the bike has had.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Here is how you can test for stress cracking (that has developed - not which may develop):

http://www.contech.com/Dye_Penetrant.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye_penetrant_inspection
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPOTCHECK-Dye-Penetrant-Kit-3WU63

But before I spent the $100 on the above 'kit' or tried to use this 'kit', I would call a Honda Dealer that has techs that have done this recall and ask them what to look for.

Plus, as others have said, I would DEFINITELY take it in to the dealer (a good one) to have them check your records AND do a physical check that the items were indeed installed - this should cost you nothing.

Good Luck and let us know what you determine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to confirm recalls have been done?   How to confirm recalls have been done? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to confirm recalls have been done?
Page 1 of 1