Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Helmet Help Requested

Go down 
+2
DennisB
jdeereanton
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Helmet Help Requested Empty
PostSubject: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:28 am

I am looking for a new helmet and need some guidance and help. The things I am looking for in order of importance are as follows:

1. Protection
2. Comfort
3. Wind noise reduction.

I am looking at the Shoei RF1000, HJC IS-16 & HJC-Max.

I assume the protection is very close to the same for all 3. The comfort and the wind noise reduction are therefore the variables about which I remain concerned, and need guidance from readers expirence. The comfort factor probably is an individual thing, but I still request any input.
Wind noise reduction is possibly the universally answerable response. I hope you will respond to my need for information.

Bill
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:40 am

Bill,

Welcome to the site.

I can not speak to the comfort as that is subjective. As to wind noise - the full face options will certainly be much quieter. I've not owned either of these models so can not answer directly about them.

I guess all I can offer is the knowledge (based on experience) that full face helmets are quieter than modulars. But, modulars are easier to use and they do accomodate ear plugs making the quiet issue a wash.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:16 am

Hi Bill,

Alot of Helmets in this world. I bought a FULMER M1 in flat black with silver pin stripping. It seems to work OK for me. $139.00 is what I payed for it.

Here is a review of the FULMER M1.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/fulmer-m1-modus/

I also have a half helmet that I use sometime. sunny

DennisB
Back to top Go down
Janice
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Janice

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi Bill.

I have a HJC CL-MAX. I tried on several different types, but really liked the lift- up full face feature, plus, it seemed to fit my head better. There is still some wind noise, but on long trips I use earplugs. The ear plugs I use are individual, so everytime I take off my helmet they fall onto the ground unless I remember they are in and bend my head over when I take the helmet off to try and catch them. My husband has a pair that are attached to each other , so when he takes his helmet off, they are draped over his neck by a cord.
Janice
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Janice:
I have found that each helmet manufacturer and even the individual helmet model fits just a little bit different. The most important thing is to find a helmet that fits you. I use a half helmet in summer and a full face in winter. I have what seems to be an unusually large head (XXL) and given the shape of my head and jaw, I found that the Scorpion EXO 1000 worked pretty darn well for me. Most of the mid to high end manufacturers have all the nice features (half visor, full visor, vents, etc.) so I think it really comes down to fit. Also, I don't think it is a difficult to get a good fit on a half helmet, but I like the Scorpion and Helmer models. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:58 pm

oops, that shold have read Fulmer... not Helmer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Helmets, my 2 cents worth   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 8:26 pm

It really comes down to which brand fits you best. My MSF teacher said it should fit like a shell on a peanut. In my case, that's a Shoei TZR. I got to test it out when I got rearended by a cellphone wielding teenager driving a beige Buick. Saved my noggin. I still got a slight concussion, but it passed.
MSF teacher also said "Buying a $5 helmet is fine if you have a $5 head.
I found a brand/size that I really liked by trying one on locally, and then I shopped online. Saved about 40% off the MSRP, and the helmet arrived in less than a week.
My personal bias is that while full face helmets can be hot and a bit cumbersome, a full face helmet was what I was wearing when I went down, and, I still have my FULL face, wrinkles, freckles and all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 9:40 pm

I think mine is a Bell, cost about 120 but fits great. I've always used a full face shield. I don't like those bugs hitting my face. I had one years ago with the full peice around your chin but it was so heavy I would get a stiff neck. I like the protection and comfort and a good fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Protection-wise they say a SNELL rated helmet is stronger than DOT. Fiberglass is better than plastic.

If you want light, aerodynamic, quiet, safe AND comfortable all you have to do is spend a lot of money.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 2:06 am

Bill,

I think most will agree that a full face helmet is the best (offers the most/best protection) and the brands you listed are all good ones, especially the Shoei.

But since I've started wearing eyeglasses, I found that the modular (flip front) helmet is more practical and yet still offers good protection, especially for one's face.

My first flip front was an HJC and it was very noisy compared to my full face Shoei. Then one day I had it resting on my seat while I was putting ear plugs in my ears. The wind caused the helmet to fall off the seat. The helmet's impact with the parking lot surface broke the mechanism for the chin guard part (plastic parts!) and that shocked me that it broke so easily.

I threw that helmet away and bought a Nolan flip front (N100E model) which has a metal mechanism for the front guard. It's noisy but made me feel better protected should I take a frontal impact.

Then when Shoei came out with their Multitec I immediately bought one. I really really like it. It is well made; nice and snug; quiet and the face shield can be removed so easily and quickly for cleaning or changing from clear to smoked.

So now my other three helmets sit silently in their helmet bags because now I only wear my Shoei Multitec. It was kinda pricey but well worth the cost.

Tony M
Rio Vista CA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 8:56 am

I have EXO-100 Scorpion Helmet. It is good on the noise and has a drop down face shield. WWW.scorpionusa.com
MarkR
Back to top Go down
cruiser
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
cruiser

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 3:34 pm

http://www.shark-evoline.com/
Has anybody seen the new Shark Evoline Helmet. This thing i cool it's a fullface that morphes into a openface or viseversa with a half screen and sun shades. I'm looking to get on later this year they are around $350.00 on most internet sites.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 4:10 pm

Our dealer has been telling us about it and I'm interested, but do I really need 4 helmets? My Caberg has most of the features of the Shark, except available parts...
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Janice
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Janice

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 4:38 pm

I checked out a review of the Shark Evoline on this site:
www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline . Some of the features seem a little awkward to use, and there is not much ventilation, and the reviewer mentioned a little top heaviness when the chin piece is flipped back.
As with all helmets, the fit is the most important thing,and the HJC I have is the only full face one I tried on that I could feel on my forehead, cheeks and base of my head. It grips with enough pressure that I can't twist it around, but not so much that it is annoyingly noticeable on long rides
Back to top Go down
mr fish
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
mr fish

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 3:51 am

The most important features of a helmet are fit and constuction......You want a helmet to be quite tight without cutting off circulation (the padding will give a bit over time)should have minimal movement left to right and up and down if you get a helmat too big because its sooooooo comfortable if you fall and hit your head you have an accelerated impact between head and helmet (slight gap)

Also get the best quality you can afford cheap helmets are usaually only designed for 30mph or less impacts

If you wear glasses always try with helmet before buying(not everyone does)

Genral tips are DONT drop they are only designed for 1 impact drops may cause stress fractures invisible to the eye

dont store in a sunny place sun fades paint

clean inside as regular as possible sweat and hair products make the interior foam and shell more brittle also if riding a lot change helmet every 2/3 years depending on make

Hope i didnt lecture or bore you guys I used to sell them for a living when i ran a bike shop (when on courses for arai/shoei/xlite and shark)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Helmet Help Requested   Helmet Help Requested I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helmet Help Requested
Page 1 of 1