Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» My New SWing Trike
by Pastor Ron Today at 13:18

» Full disassembly and cleaning of the variator,
by Vyacheslav Today at 08:58

» Greetings from Russia.
by cotetoi Today at 08:14

» Hello from Russia
by Nikolaevich Today at 01:34

» Steel frame fatigue cracks
by Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 16:51

» What are the Amps in the cig lighter outlet?
by Loosebearing Yesterday at 13:49

» New Year's Day
by SteveSilverWing Yesterday at 11:10

» Body panel rattling
by john grinsel Tue 16 Jan 2018, 23:15

» New to the forum, taking delivery of my Swing on Friday
by Dale N. Tue 16 Jan 2018, 22:52

» The Amish boy and his father
by GHM-PM Tue 16 Jan 2018, 21:30

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

A new helmet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-07-13

PostSubject: A new helmet   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 16:52

It's time to buy a new helmet. I'm currently using RXA Exploder modular helmet which is 5 year old and helmet cushion are worned. I want to buy a modular helmet and also quieter than RXA. What do you recommend. Shoei, Schubert, Nolan or somethink else. I think all of these manufacuters made quieter helmet than RXA. I want to know Swing drivers experiences.

Wink

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 16:55

One that fits your head!
I've got a shoei shaped head so go that way. Reassuringly expensive as they say :-)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2786
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 17:54

It's no good recommending any helmet for you unless you know your own head shape is the same as manufacturers like Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan etc have designed their helmets for.

I bought the Schuberth E1 advenure style flip front helmet a couple of months ago because I already wear a Schuberth M1 open face and it's quiet and comfortable, and wore a Schuberth J1 open face before that.

I chose the E1 because I wanted an alternative style to an open face and a flip front fits the bill. A height adjustable peak was a priority too for direct and low winter sun. It's also equipped to take the unobtrusive Schuberth SC10 U communicator which I fitted recently. It saves having to fit a Supervisor peak and mounting an Interphone set up on the side.

Arai are another quality brand I find comfortable, I used to wear their open face SZ's and was happy with them apart from the rain seal between helmet and visor. It was poor and made wet weather riding especially at night an ordeal. So Arai are off my shopping list for that reason alone.

In my experience you can wear a quiet helmet but it'll still be noisy even with earplugs if you're riding behind that rubbish OE Honda screen.

So Schuberth helmets work for me because I have worn them for years, they fit my head shape, are quiet and I always wear custom fit earplugs with them. I ride behind a height adjustable Airflow screen and have an adjustable Wunderlich wind deflector fitted to the top of it. This directs turbulence and rain over the top of my helmet and makes all day, all weather rides less tiring.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 18:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 18:43

Whatever you chose put it on and continue to wear it for a half hour at least, better to do it at a store, no returns that way.
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Mon 08 Jan 2018, 20:00

I needed a new helmet to replace my old Shoei. I was determined to find a moderately priced alternative. Tried literally dozens possibly hundreds of different makes and styles but ended up forking out £400 for another Shoei. The fit is just right for me and I find it comfortable and relatively quiet. It's worth taking the time to find what works for you.

JB
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 03:40

oldwingguy wrote:
Whatever you chose put it on and continue to wear it for a half hour at least, better to do it at a store, no returns that way.

I've never ever seen anyone wandering round a motorcycle dealership or clothing store wearing a new helmet for half a hour or so before they bought it to see if it fits.

The practice these days for helmets, gloves, clothing, etc is to look at and try out for size your item of choice in a dealership or store and then if you can you buy it cheaper online. There are end of year bargains and discounts to be had in stores that also sell online, especially on flip front helmets like the now discontinued Shoei Neotec as the updated Neotec II has just gone on sale.

But online is the way to go nowadays, especially from mainland Europe, competitive prices plus a few quid for delivery by DCL or UPS. Another bonus is once you're on a mailing list you get regular offers, deals, and discounts.

By buying online from Europe, I was able to buy my Schuberth E1 helmet in the Hunter Red paint scheme I liked, and the matching Schuberth SC10U com unit for the E1 for less money that some UK stores were selling the helmet alone for in a plain colour.

Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-07-13

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 06:40

Schuberth E1 is very interesting helmet. In Finland the sun shines in the spring and autumn low and this visor can help a lot for minimize dazzle. I must found that helmet at first and match it to my "ball" Smile

Meldrev wrote about Honda OEM srceen. I think this is second thing I must to update. Money consumption can not be hindered when it comes to hobby motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 08:58

Helmet selection and fit is so personal.  I have used Shoei helmets for a long time because they're comfortable for my head shape and good quality but was disappointed in the Neotech.   It was not as comfortable to wear as other Shoei helmets I've had.  Worst of all was the fogging, even with the visor insert.  Ended up using by Bell open face most of the time-- it cost 1/3 as much as the Shoei. Will at least look at the Neotech II when it comes to replacement time, though.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:19

I have 2 Scorpion modular helmets.
The EXO-900X and the AT-950.
Scorpion helmets run 1 size small in general.
I purchased both from Revzilla who has free shipping and a free return policy if the helmet does not fit you right.
It's hard to find Scorpion in stores, but both helmets have been amazing.
I have the Sena 20s mounted on both.
Airflow is amazing.
Worth a look.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Tue 09 Jan 2018, 17:13

Interesting, I disposed of a Scorpion EXO 900 flip front helmet just a few months ago. Initially I thought it was a very good helmet, but I found that wearing it for more than a hour or two at a time it became uncomfortable. Simply because I found out a couple of years later it's more suited a narrower head shape than the one I have. I don't think the pump up cheek pads helped much either.  So after that it became more of a everyday run and cold weather helmet and worn for shorter periods it worked fine.

I fitted an Interphone F4 set and it worked well even though there was no cut outs in the inner liner to fit speakers. I also fitted a Supervisor peak and replaced the drop down sun visor with an amber one, all together a good package spoiled by the fact it was uncomfortable for all day wear

When the Scorpion AT-950 came along fitted with a peak I was very interested, like the EXO 900 I could have bought one here in York, but it was knowing that my head shape isn't suited to Scorpion helmets that put me off.

Anyway it's nice to know that you have the right head shape to get pleasure out of wearing Scorpion helmets.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Leena Hallasmaa
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2016-09-17

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 05:58

Bash On! wrote:
Helmet selection and fit is so personal.  I have used Shoei helmets for a long time because they're comfortable for my head shape and good quality but was disappointed in the Neotech.   It was not as comfortable to wear as other Shoei helmets I've had.  Worst of all was the fogging, even with the visor insert.  Ended up using by Bell open face most of the time-- it cost 1/3 as much as the Shoei.  Will at least look at the Neotech II when it comes to replacement time, though.

The new Shoei models with pinlock seem to be tricky or is it the problem with pinlock over all. Try this one, helped with my Shoei Gt Air, but you have to adjust the pinlock every now and then. Pinlock adjustment

Last edited by Leena Hallasmaa on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 09:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 08:54

I'll give it a try. Thanks, Leena!

Bash
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 10:06

As I ride a lot---I usually get 2 new helmets a year---In US, cheap ones in the $40-60 range- My neck was injured in about 1990----collision with deer in Switzerland...he died.

I need about 2 lb Helmet for all day comfort, some 3/4 work for me with safety glasses and foam ear plugs. At my age, 78 soon 79---I feel serious crash I will probably just splat anyway.

I have had Schubert=too heavy, some loss of side vision. Cheap helmet nobody will ever steal off seat on parked bike..

And of course I add/need no ear phones, comm devices in my helmet. Riding is the thing.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 19:38

arskal wrote:
It's time to buy a new helmet. I'm currently using RXA Exploder modular helmet which is 5 year old and helmet cushion are worned. I want to buy a modular helmet and also quieter than RXA. What do you recommend. Shoei, Schubert, Nolan or somethink else. I think all of these manufacuters made quieter helmet than RXA. I want to know Swing drivers experiences.

Wink  

The subject never discussed in regard to helmet's is their weight, The heavier the helmet, the more likely in a crash that the rider will die from his broken neck. Dozens of race car drivers would be with us today if their radio equipped and water cooled five pound helmet had not ripped their head off their body. The set of bones in the neck are one set of the weakest in the body, adding weight increases the momentum of the head in breaking this weak set of bones. My Blown AA/Altered turned 9.5 @ 165 MPH on Gasoline in 1960. The Blown Gasoline Dragsters I built in that same period Turned around 200 MPH. Experience is a much better teacher than Helmet advertising.

Lloyd 193
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: A new helmet   Thu 11 Jan 2018, 09:32

A quick Google search reveals a gridiron football helmet weighs a lot more than any motorcycle helmet, they typically weigh in between four and eight pounds depending on the type of face mask fitted.

Most helmet manufacturers websites and helmet reviews will tell you what specific models weigh.. Just out of curiosity I spent a few minutes of today's 'executive time' weighing my two Schuberth helmets on my electronic bakers scales. As we're mainly of the Baby Boomer generation on here I've used pounds and ounces

Schuberth E1 flip-up adventure helmet complete with peak, Pinlock fitted visor, and complete  Schuberth SC10U com unit integrally installed weighs 3lb 14.4oz.

Schuberth M1 open face helmet with full length Pinlock fitted visor, Union Jack side visor covers, and integral speakers and microphones weighs 3lb 1.6oz. If I plug the Schuberth SRC-System Jet into the back of the helmet, that puts the weight up to 3lb 4oz.

Just out of interest I even gone and dug Mrs M's HJC CL-ST full helmet out of the garage to see what it weighs compared to my Schuberths. As Mrs M has now voluntarily retired from touring and riding with me, I've removed the Interphone com unit, there was no Pinlock on the visor, just the breath guard fitted. The HJC weighs 3lb 7.9oz.

The crude noisy fibreglass full face helmets of the 1970's with easily scratched press stud visors, no rain seals and zero ventilation probably weighed a lot more
Back to top Go down

A new helmet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1