Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Luggage capacity - impressed!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Luggage capacity - impressed! Empty
PostSubject: Luggage capacity - impressed!   Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 5:04 am

Just realised I haven't posted much since I joined - will do better in future!
The other day I did a 'test loading' of my Silver Wing in readiness for some camping trips this year.
Previously I had used a Honda Deauville with large panniers.
The Silver Wing has the same size topbox as the Deauville had.
I was pleasantly surprised that everything that I had previously fitted into the panniers now fits comfortably und the seat on the Silver Wing. So I can load up without having the need for throw overs.
Surprising just how much crap - err... Quality camping equipment - can be fitted under there.

Very impressed - time to start planning some trips Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Luggage capacity - impressed!   Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 5:45 am

Having had both Deauville (NT700V our market) and SilverWing 600. I agree SilverWing can haul more junk. Advantage of scooter, stuff under seat does not fall out-----Bike open saddle bags, side opening and stuff hits the ground. Try GIVI "tank bag" for even more capacity and weight low.
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Luggage capacity - impressed!   Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 6:18 am

Ah yes, sorry John, I meant to say NT700.
Some people had problems on the NTs with the side cases opening whilst going along. Never happened to me but it was always in the back of my mind on the motorway.
Stuff is much more secure under the seat.
Also the long seat on the Wing is great for strapping the tent and sleeping bag to. The buttrest stops it sliding forward and pressing on your back.
Looking forward to some good trips Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Luggage capacity - impressed!   Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:38 am

The GIVI also sells a metal rack that mounts on top of its top cases.
You can fasten or bungy a good size bag to that also.

So you have:
Underseat storage
Tank bag storage
Hard or Soft Pannier bags,
Top Case,
Rack mount on top of the top case.
Anything you can put on the passenger seat.

That's a lot of potential storage.

Dan
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Luggage capacity - impressed!   Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Based on 57 yrs and over 1.5 million miles in many parts of world, you don't want anything higher than GIVI box---kind of like adding

a rock to back of arrow.
My GIVI box E47 has over 500,000 miles and still functions for dog to ride in,
Rack on top, maybe not great idea---I will leave that to the look thru windshield, highway peg types who probably don't feel handling reduction
Remember GIVI box is clamshell design---another excuse for stuff to slide out when bike on side stand. Better is plastic tool box, yellow, bolted to spoiler,is not clamshell......and of course much cheaper, requiring no rack

For my SilverWing and present new Burgman 400, following great, cheap idea for scooters with hinged seat. Aerostich#948, Seat Hooks @$15, probably cheap mail to UK, Japan sourced. These clip to side of seat, a tiny self tapping screw can help keep them im place. Bunge rubber bag to seat, these allow seat and its under storage to be opend without taking bag off seat. Use stick as prop. Work great!

In my second retirement I was living off bike for 6 months each year. You travel lite and find a lot of junk un-necessary. Fun. Scooter/motorcycles can carry a lot at least for short/slow disstances---one 15 yr period I tried to buy nothing I couldn't carry home on bike...or have car. Great life=no wife, shared expenses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luggage capacity - impressed!   Luggage capacity - impressed! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luggage capacity - impressed!
Page 1 of 1