Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First tank fuel economy

Go down 
+3
MikeO
MikeH
jdeereanton
7 posters
AuthorMessage

First tank fuel economy Empty
PostSubject: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:02 am

Went about 175 miles on my first tank. Over-filled it "before" and "after." (Oops.) At least I know it was FULL.

I got 53 mpg (U.S.). Mostly freeway with some suburban driving. I'm a noob, so I was pretty conservative, but there is no doubt we drive FAST on the freeway in Utah. I had to cruise at 75 mph just to keep up with traffic, so it's not like I was actually trying to save fuel or anything.

If it keeps up like that I'll be VERY impressed!

Incidentally, I ran premium unleaded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 2:04 am

Oh, by the way: My owner's manual says "86 octane minimum" but doesn't specify which method is used to arrive at that number. Our pump numbers in the U.S. are based on adding Research plus Motor octane and dividing by 2 to get an average. 86 is pretty low! Is 86 the bare minimum that the fuel injection can handle, or are we actually supposed to be using "regular"?

I hate to buy premium for no reason.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:55 am

mickey,

This topic is one of those "hot-button" issues and it is likely that there will be responses on all sides of the fence.

I generally fill our SilverWings with the lowest octane rating. I read the owners manual and noted the manufacturers recommendation, and that is what influenced my decision, that and I'm cheap. Any increase in MPG from using a higher octane is most likely offset by the higher cost. Yes that means I believe the increase in MPG is minimal.

I recognize my decision is not based on objective research. I doubt you'll find very much true research on this topic relative to our bikes. Ultimately the decision to use 'regular' - 'mid-grade' - 'premium' is a personal preference and is justified based on anecdotal and interpreted evidence. Don't get too hung up on it, just fill up the tank and ride.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:55 am

I just fill up with 87 on my silverwing. My first few tanks I was getting around 56 mpg. I was hoping for a bit more. I need to look at my journal and see how I am doing now. I was hoping for around 60. I was spoiled with my Helix since I was getting 70-72 most of the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:16 am

56 is around 60 .You won't do any better unless you drive really slow .
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:37 am

Mickey,
53 mph at freeway speed is EXCELLENT gas mileage. You will find that your mpg decreases substantially as your speed increases above 5000 RPM. Your mpg will also decrease slightly as your drive belt wears and stretches. I typically get 51 mpg with a combination of on/off freeway riding (mostly 50 mph country roads). But I do a fair amount of riding up and down some steep grades and high passes. I also tend to really get on the throttle when I launch......er......when I take off from stoplights, etc. When the gasoline formulations change in the winter, my mpg drops to around 48.

I run regular unleaded - usually 85 octane here in Utah.

The SWing speedo typically indicates 7-10% higher than actual speed. If your speedo indicates 75 you were probably only doing 70 mph. The odometer seems to run true, it is only the speedo that is off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:12 pm

I have no idea what mileage I'll get on this thing, but aren't you supposed to vary the speeds for the first 600 miles (not flail it down the freeway, in other words?).

My F650GS gets an amazing 58-60 mpg (single cylinder). Hubby's gets a little bit less because he's bigger than I am.

The Olds gets 34, the pickup 17, and the Winnebago a whopping 10 (12 if empty of any cargo). I have stock in BP. Progressive Insurance loves us.

Life is short, have dessert first!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:06 pm

churchlady53 wrote:
I have no idea what mileage I'll get on this thing, but aren't you supposed to vary the speeds for the first 600 miles (not flail it down the freeway, in other words?).

My F650GS gets an amazing 58-60 mpg (single cylinder). Hubby's gets a little bit less because he's bigger than I am.

The Olds gets 34, the pickup 17, and the Winnebago a whopping 10 (12 if empty of any cargo). I have stock in BP. Progressive Insurance loves us.

Life is short, have dessert first!

The manual just says to avoid using full-throttle.

My uncle spent his career as a diesel mechanic for a Cummins factory shop. When they'd rebuild a heavy duty diesel they'd break it in by hooking it up to a bench dyno and running it at full honk, with a full load, for 15 minutes. If it survived, it was perfectly broken in. If it died, they knew they messed up somewhere.

Of course, there are more issues than just the engine. But engine-wise, the idea is to force the piston rings outward against the cylinder walls. When I have a new car I take it out on a lonely highway and "vary the speed" for a while. I cruise about 10 under the limit in top gear, accelerate under full throttle (still in top gear) until I'm going 10 OVER, then back down again, and repeat several times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:58 pm

I think to much fuss is made about break in period . Unless you are a real hot rodder ,normal driving will do just fine .
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:30 am

Oh my goodness Excell. Why bring that kind of thinking to the forefront? Razz

My tongue is now firmly implanted - Engine breakin in technique determines MPG, gender of children, longevity of engine, sexual prowess, oil consumption (or lack of) at 8 billion miles on OD, tire wear, etc. This is seriously important and you should do it the way I suggest. - Remove tongue from cheek location and snicker a little bit.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 7:37 am

I did go very easy in the break in period. I made sure I wasn't going the same speed for long periods of time. The service guy also told me not to start out like a snail from a stop. Not gun the engine but move out smoothly. I want to really take care of my bikes. I got a great trade in deal on my other bike. I even asked the service guys why I got such a good trade in. They said it was because they knew the oil was changed every 1200 miles and there was not a scratch on it. It does pay to take care of them.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:01 am

Last weekend I rode down to Exeter (SW UK) for my niece's wedding.
According to my log-book I travelled approximately 650 miles and used 11 gallons of petrol - 1050kms & 50ltrs.
That means the bike did 59 mpg or 5ltrs/100kms
That seems rather good - even if I've missed a 10 ltr top-up, it's still around 50 mpg and I was pushing on.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 6:54 pm

When I first purchased my 2005 Swing it would do around 50 to 52 Mpg...now it seems anywhere from 43 to 45 Mpg. I don't baby it as we usually run about 70 to 75 GPS mph on the Inter state. I Did put new plugs in it and they are the Honda plugs but that should help it do better. I have 10,300 miles on it now. Maybe when the weather warms up it will improve the mileage....
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm

43 to 45mpg seems average to me especially @the indicated speed
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 1:03 am

DaveR wrote:
When I first purchased my 2005 Swing it would do around 50 to 52 Mpg...now it seems anywhere from 43 to 45 Mpg. I don't baby it as we usually run about 70 to 75 GPS mph on the Inter state. I Did put new plugs in it and they are the Honda plugs but that should help it do better. I have 10,300 miles on it now. Maybe when the weather warms up it will improve the mileage....

At actual 70 to 75 MPH then MPGs will be lower.

I get the lowest fuel mileage with the winter blend gas, cold weather and strong winds. In Texas with the winter blend gas and riding in warmer days the mileage does improve.
Back to top Go down
BlueSwing06
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BlueSwing06

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 3:36 am

I get in the low to mid 50's on my Swing. In the colder months it drops to 45-48 mpg. I am approaching the 11,000 mark and the scoot still averages the same. But then I would still be having fun if I only got 38 mpg. Still beats my car.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 4:12 am

I should have said it's Imperial gallons - 1 gal = 1.2 US gal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First tank fuel economy   First tank fuel economy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First tank fuel economy
Page 1 of 1