Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

horn replacement on swing

Go down 
+8
toolboxjesse
RArch
bigbird
Meldrew
Opalsboy
Waspie
MikeO
TWJ74
12 posters
AuthorMessage
TWJ74
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-09-07

horn replacement on swing Empty
PostSubject: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 am

Has anyone replaced the horn on their swing?the one provided is not loud enough for my taste?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 am

'Yes' is the answer to that.
I haven't yet done it to mine but I have the Stebel Nautilus sitting on the shelf ready.
Your patience will be rewarded with many helpful suggestions and pointers - some 'to the point' and others waffly like mine but all with the best intentions. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am

TWJ74 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the horn on their swing?the one provided is not loud enough for my taste?

I'll add a 'waffly' one. until someone who has done it appears.

Do what I do give them a good 'Waspie' stare!!!

Don't think I have ever used my horn in anger TBH. Usually too busy taking avoiding action when it gets to that stage!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 am

I have the Stebel installed on my scoot. Don't blow it often, but it is LOUD.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am

TWJ74 wrote:

Why is it not loud enough, and how often any of us actually use it for the purpose intended or at all? We don't live in countries where it's used as an aggressive driving aid, where traffic is absolute mayhem and a nanosecond is the time it takes before someone hits the horn button when the lights turn green.

It might just be me, but when I hear drivers sounding their horns to acknowledge other drivers or pedestrians they know, I just think...twat! Mad
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

bigbird wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
I just think...twat! Mad

Hmmm. What's the definition of twat in the UK?
Over here it's a not so endearing description of a female's privates.
Just sayin'.

I used Google and found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twat

As a derogatory insult, a pejorative meaning a fool, a stronger alternative to the word twit - 'He can be a complete twat' (often used in the UK)
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:51 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

MikeO wrote:
'Yes' is the answer to that.
I haven't yet done it to mine but I have the Stebel Nautilus sitting on the shelf ready.
Your patience will be rewarded with many helpful suggestions and pointers - some 'to the point' and others waffly like mine but all with the best intentions. Smile

Me too...

I bought one but I cant see any obvious place within the tupperware to mount it. Looking forward to see where you mount yours Smile
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 pm

bigbird wrote:
Second line of your Wiki definition:

"It is a vulgar synonym for the human vulva"

Yes, I read that too. I was responding to your question "What's the definition of twat in the UK?"
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

I plan to install a louder one too, but not sure if the stock wiring is up to the task, so I will probably run a 10-12 gauge wire (with fuse) directly to positive battery terminal to a relay that will be switched by the original horn positive wire. I am leaning more towards a 10 gauge wire to accommodate additional lighting and power accessories in the future.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm

I used the next best thing to Google to solve a problem... I went to visit Dennis..... after trying EVERY WHERE... we wound up using the right storage pocket. I sacrificed a tiny tine bit of storage but it actually fit perfectly.
I will provide an album for anyone wanting to see how that looks. I have removed it several times while mounting other electrical items that require me to locate power outlets and stuff.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Gary, yes I saw some photos of your installation but dont really want start cutting pieces up. I find that a handy pocket Smile

I came across other photos on google where the guy used a two part air horn (the more conventional type where motor is separate from the horns) and he packed it all in underneath the fuel tank area. He did however have to trim a little of the tupperware...
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Twat is a mildy insulting term in the UK simply because of its slang definition of the aforesaid female bits.
It's on a par with calling someone a D*ck-head, Pr*ck or Kn*b.

My dear departed grandpa, a gentleman, used the expression 'silly arse', and that in front of my grandma, who was a lady.
She wasn't offended. Smile
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:29 pm

TWJ74 wrote:
Has anyone replaced the horn on their swing?

https://www.silverwing600.com/t507-stebel-horn-installation#3528
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Bill... my photos are there...
Back to top Go down
aaronb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-11-28

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 2:17 pm

I searched around the bike for a suitable mounting point and eventually settled on the void directly behind the headlight. I have a non-ABS model, so I'm not sure if something ABS-related sits there on other bikes.

The Stebel Nautilus Compact (and likely the Wolo 419) fit very snugly in that area in a near-vertical position. The obvious drawback is that you have to pull the fairing to get it in there. I already had the front of my bike apart for a HID upgrade, so there wasn't any extra effort on my part.

I cut some strips of 1.5 x 0.25 inch rubber weather strip to pad the top and back of the horn body so it wouldn't vibrate or shift position. I also padded the frame bracket under the horn with the same material. The power leads rest next to the frame bracket, so I used insulated crimp connectors, heat shrink tubing, and a few wraps of electrical tape around the wires for abrasion resistance. The padding on the frame bracket was probably sufficient, but I don't want to get back in there again to solve a short that I could have prevented the first time. It was secured to the frame with a couple of heavy-duty zip ties.

Here are a couple of pics of the target area before and after the horn was test fitted. In these pics, the horn is diagonally mounted, but I eventually moved it inboard directly next to the tilt sensor. I needed more clearance for my fuse block closer to where the right pocket sits.

horn replacement on swing 2004-f11
horn replacement on swing 2004-f12

I have a few more pics if they can help anyone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/QuasiMotard
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Bill: Thanks for the link, those are the photos I was referring to.

Arron: Thanks for the photos, the ABS gear is just were you placed the yellow box Smile

If I ever get brave enough take the front off I will have a go at fitting the Stebel.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:33 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 8:02 am

Great videos, very useful. Thanks Bigbird.

I think it would take me half those 18 minutes just to get the top garnish off Smile
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I gotta say, even with all this talk about human body parts, a nekkid Silver Wing is not a pretty sight!
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Gary,

I'm interested in seeing the pictures of your horn installation using the right storage pocket but don't see anything under your name in albums - can you set me straight on how to see those pictures?

I'm hoping this might be an option for the Screaming Banshee Horn a friend and I picked up - he found a location above the forks on his Burgy but that won't work on the SW.

Thanks,

Rick V
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 10:19 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Rick... go to the link in Bill's post above this. There are a few pics shown . I am not on my Pc so I can't do any copy and pastes. Maybe tomorrow I will have time to get more shots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horn replacement on swing   horn replacement on swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

horn replacement on swing
Page 1 of 1