Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! Empty
PostSubject: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 am

Six months ago my honda dealer removed/replaced the rear wheel for service. Yesterday I removed the rear wheel and and put on a new tire. To 'crack' the axle nut I had to use a 25 inch (1/2 inch set) long breaker bar, put the SWing or rough concrete to prevent tire spin, set parking brake, and place a 2x4 behind the tire to keep it on one place - while I stood on the breaker bar with little hops to get the nut to crack/break. I am sure that I applied in excess of 400 ft-lbs (maybe a lot more) - which is about 10x the recommended installation torque. The nut/thread were dry -but no evidence of excessive corrosion. I believe that the honda dealer may have considerably over-tightened the rear axle nut - but maybe my removal experience is within the normal bound for a SWing. I see no evidence of thread strain on axle/nut- but not sure if I could even see the strain. Questions: How much torque does it take you to crack the rear axle nut? Do you think there is anything for which I should be concerned? Should I replace the axle nut just to be on the safe side? What would you do - if anything?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:39 am

I would think just making sure the nut is "properly" torqued would be sufficient.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 pm

bigbird wrote:

I doubt if you applied 400 ft. lbs.

To answer all your questions...... if nothing broke, there's nothing to fix.
Life is short.
Just go ride your Swing.
I weigh close to 200 pounds. My lever arm is approximately 2 feet. I was standing on the end of the bar with both feet on the breaker bar - then grabbing the sissy bar to give me even greater leverage in pushing down. So, I am pretty sure that I was at around 400 foot pounds (i.e., 200 x 2 = 400). When you crack your rear axle bolt do you need to apply this much torque to do it? Just asking if all of you need to stand on your 2 foot long breaker bar to get your rear axle nut loose. There are likely very few of us that could apply a 100 pound force with their arms to a breaker bar - let alone the over 200 pounds force that I applied (body weight and pushing and a bit of jumping). Bigbird - your advice is valued and I thank you for it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 5:02 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 pm

bigbird wrote:
If the axle nut is that tight I would use my pneumatic impact wrench. If you don't have air tools, then a 120V electric impact wrench is my second choice.
My last choice would be jumping on a breaker bar with extension.
400 ft lbs could easily break a tool, a part, or your ankle if you slip.

Don't have either an air or electric impact wrench - but I guess it needs to be higher up on my 'must have' tool list (and DennisB recommended that I get one!). Thanks for pointing this out as this practice could lead to a nasty accident. While I did think of this when I did it (i.e., jumping on breaker bar) - now that you mention this hazard I am not planning on doing this again.

Got rear axle nut torqued to 102 ft-lb (and thank you very much for saying 'read the service manual') and I can now say with certainty that the breaking torque was indeed on the order of 400 plus foot pounds.

Reading the manual it says the axle bolt is a U-bolt. My bolt looked pretty much like any bolt. When I think of a U-bolt I think of something that has a clip-like apparatus attached to the bolt - which mine does not. What is a U-bolt as it applies to the rear axle bolt of a SWing? Maybe I have the wrong bolt?

By the way, I installed NEW honda brake caliper bolts with their lock-tite (why take the chance). So, I do read/listen/act. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Sorry - I think. My manual on page 1-14 refers to a the rear axle NUT as Note 8 - which is a U-nut according to the legend on page 1-11. So, what the heck is a U-Nut? It is the ONLY nut called out in the Torque Values Table - so what is a U-NUT?? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!   Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Excessive Torque on Rear Axle Nut!
Page 1 of 1