Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Captain Dave introducing self

Go down 
+4
JeffR_
"Hi Yo"
robert
Captain Dave
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Dave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-01-12

Captain Dave introducing self Empty
PostSubject: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello Everybody! May name is Dave, I am a retired Detective Captain from my hometown Police Department. (Tonawanda, New York) I was a cop for 30 years, did everything from writing parking tags to investigating homicides, loved the job.
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 16 years old, have owned just about every bike that ever existed. As far as fixing them, I am a jack of all trades and master of none.
I presently own an 08 Harley Super Glide and an 04 Silverwing. I have owned three other wings, one new in 03 and a used 02 and an 06. I love the Wing and it probably will be my main bike until ....... I have ridden on a couple of trips of 400 to 800 miles one way and feel it is a superb machine for touring if one wanted to do that. I have driven about 30K on my Silverwings, also owned a 650 Burgman. I prefer the wing as it seems more agile and didn't seem as big as the Burgman. The Burgman felt like the size of my old Goldwings, just too big.
The 04 I have now has 14K on it, it has a beautiful Corbin seat with a backrest that was installed by the previous owner less than 100 miles ago. He had a back injury so he can no longer ride.
The wing is going to need new tires so I am looking for advice on what to get. My priority on tires is SAFETY. I am not terribly concerned with price or longevity, so if anybody has advice I am all ears. I also intend to change the brakes and the drive belt as well and am looking for advice there too.
So far I love this forum and the friendliness of all the members. I look forward to replies.
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Welcome to the forum Captain Dave,

Just about any question you have on the S/W, you will get a response, many members with alot of knowledge on the S/W and willing to share. Ride Safe.

Robert in Az.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Captain Dave introducing self 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm

welcome Howdy Captain Dave, Tires affraid As you well know with your years of bike and scooter ownership, this is an area with a plethora of opinions. (And opinions are like....) If you put tires in the search function at the top of the forum, you'll get most of these opinions. Myself, I went with the stock tire when I changed due to a flat. It was the easiest way to go. As i learn more, I will probably change. Anyway, welcome to the forum. I'll bet you've had some wonderful riding experiences where you live. small moped small moped small moped
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Hey Dave,

Welcome the site and hope you enjoy it. There are many "Pictorials" on here with instructions on how do do things. One is changing the drive belt which is what you want to do. Here is the link for the Pictorial Section:

https://www.silverwing600.com/f21-pictorials-maintenance

As for tires I have had the OEM Hoops, 2 sets of Diablo's, and my set now are the Metzlers. I think I like the Metzlers better since they seem a bit stickier, but they are very close to the Diablo's. It is hard to decide which are best in my opinion, at least for me. The Hoops are good tires too but the Metzlers and Diablo's are stickier which is really good in the twisties.

You should check out the Pictorials and maintenance sections when you get a chance. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Welcome from Old Dave in Western Nebraska. Take a look at the Pictoral section on this Forum I have the 2005. I have 25000smiles now and like the Metzler tires best of the three sets.
Have fun and ride safe. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 am

Hi and welcome Captain Dave. (Do we salute or courtesy if we meet you on your bike Laughing )

Sounds like you'll settle in well on here. Loads of useful info and experiences from around the globe.

I imagine you have a wealth of tales after 30 years as a 'copper', sorry for the Brit term!!!

Again welcome to the best 'Wing' site with the friendliest riders.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 am

Hello and welcome from another rider from across the pond.

Tyres (note Brit spelling) are something that is probably talked about more than anything else on a lot of two wheeler forums.

At the moment both my Silverwing and Burgman 400 have Bridgestone Hoops on, however, when time comes to replace I'll be going for Metzler Feel Free tyres.

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing word)
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 am

Welcome Captain!

Grab your favorite beverage and have a look around, you'll find most if not all your questions answered or in video form! Our master parts and accessory researcher has compiled a complete a list of nearly every part you can bolt, weld or stick on! We also have a custom parts designer/builder on-board. Knowledge here runs deep! As far as tires, I also vote for the Metelers, they have delivered nearly 9500 miles with no cupping, hold air pressure and perform in the wet like no other tire I've tried (although I am very tempted by the Diablos too)!

Since your state touches mine, I guess we are neighbors!

Good Luck!
Paul
(Proud father of a police officer)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captain Dave introducing self   Captain Dave introducing self I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Captain Dave introducing self
Page 1 of 1