Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Fuel gauge anomaly
by AV-40 Today at 15:47

» Trike Kit Installed
by Pastor Ron Today at 15:44

» Dr Pulley sliders
by steve_h80 Today at 13:45

» Everything Died!!
by Easyrider Yesterday at 14:04

» Better sounding Exhaust
by ItBeMe Yesterday at 12:43

» 2002 SW 600
by Nillinator Thu 16 Nov 2017, 18:56

» Pastor Ron's Honda Silverwing Trike (GT3 Kit) Pics
by Pastor Ron Thu 16 Nov 2017, 17:17

» Fuel pump problem or what !
by codge Thu 16 Nov 2017, 16:29

» Left turn signal intermittent
by Dale N. Wed 15 Nov 2017, 17:04

» Hello from California
by "Hi Yo" Wed 15 Nov 2017, 13:41

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
Share | 
 

 Riding in wild life country

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru


Number of posts : 1293
Age : 69
Location : Matheson, Ontario, Canada
Points : 3562
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Riding in wild life country   Mon 05 Dec 2011, 22:07


Does anybody instals these ultra sonic whistles on their scoots to prevent hitting these big animals out there. Other then myself,-- because they work. I would like to know.----('Evil or Very Mad')('Rolling Eyes')('Twisted Evil')
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 3022
Age : 68
Location : Garland, Texas, U.S.A.
Points : 6081
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Mon 05 Dec 2011, 23:39

Hey tinman, I went to the top of the page and plugged deer into the search function (most of the people seem to refer to these as deer whistles) and came up with about five different threads and sixty replies, The usual hodgepodge of serious answers, jokes, and whatever. It seems the consensus was yes they work; no they don't. Well,maybe. It's worth the time to read through them and decide for yourself, but from what I've read, not even a diesel air horn can convince a moose not to go where he pleases.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1997
Age : 70
Location : Huntsville, AL
Points : 5327
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 05:17

tinman,

I think that Hi Yo has really hit upon the reply. It is a matter of perception.

You claim they work and I'm certain you make that claim because so far in your riding experience you have not hit any of the large mammals while riding with the whistles on your bike. If you had been riding with a certain key fob for that entire time how would you know that the key fob and not the whistles is the reason you have been unscathed?

There is plenty of conjecture about the deer whistle and its efficacy, but little empirical evidence. In other words there is no objective science that claims the whistles are effective.

If you have confidence in them then ride like there is no tomorrow.

If you were to hit a deer or moose while riding with the whistles on your bike - I would have to conclude that the animal was deaf. So far in my life I've had the opportunity to witness the carcasses of 4 deaf deer. The car owners all proclaimed the whistles worked, yet the damage to auto and deer was real.


Last edited by jdeereanton on Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:35; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because spelling and grammar matter (to me anyway).)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 157
Location : Lexington NC
Points : 2407
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 07:07

If I had a set I'd put them on the SW "just in case" they might help.

A couple years ago, running about 50 mph on a secondary road, a deer leaped out of the bushes right across in front of me. Had it been a few feet closer, we would have connected. A buddy riding behind said a second one was standing in the bushes about to follow. They usually travel in pairs or more.

Perhaps I'll order a set................
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2479
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 5445
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:26

x


Last edited by bigbird on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 16:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1997
Age : 70
Location : Huntsville, AL
Points : 5327
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:35

Well that's my mistake for this year - dang so close.

bigbird - You failed to detect a mispelled word in my post.

I'm so sorry this has derailed the OP's question. Folks in the great white north need answers.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2479
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 5445
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:38

x


Last edited by bigbird on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 16:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1997
Age : 70
Location : Huntsville, AL
Points : 5327
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:43

You posted after my post which means you failed to detect it had already been moved.

Crap happens - everybody back in the pool. Let the magic deer whistle discussion resume its cintillating fever pitch.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2479
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 5445
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:46

x


Last edited by bigbird on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1997
Age : 70
Location : Huntsville, AL
Points : 5327
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:50

Watch out for the traps we set for ourselves...

If nothing else this torrid scholastic discussion of scintillating may serve to remind ourselves and others of the need to check first then hit send.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2479
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 5445
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 08:57

x


Last edited by bigbird on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 100
Age : 72
Location : MN
Points : 2661
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 12:23

Oh heck, guess I will put in a few cents worth too - after all I think MN was ranked #7 in vehicle/deer collisions and do see deer about every other ride.

I think "Hi-Yo" probably hit on the best overall response and don't have too much to add to that.

For an investment of $6 I did add deer whistles to my SW - originally didn't consider them worthwhile but then noticed some of our State Highway Patrol had them mounted - maybe they knew something or maybe not. So for "just in case" I added them to my SW - thus far I've noticed some cows look up but on the other hand I haven't hit a deer!!! Smile Now what can I do about Turkeys??? Wink

Ride safe and look out for those wild critters,

Rick V
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru


Number of posts : 1025
Age : 79
Location : Lafayette, Colorado, USA
Points : 4369
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 13:36

Turkeys? Thanksgiving was just past, Christmas is coming up. That's two down. flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2104
Age : 64
Location : St.Pete.FL.
Points : 5029
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 16:40

jdeereanton wrote:
Last edited by jdeereanton on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because spelling and grammar matter (to me anyway).)
Razz
One time you corrected my use of the word jest instead of just. I use a spellchecker and wish I had something to help with my grammar. I just did a Google search and got overwhelmed with suggestions. I will go "threw or is it through" Razz them and see if I can come up with something I like.
Sometimes it takes me a long time to post something because I can't even come close enough for the spellchecker to know what I am trying to spell so I have to reword it.
I do hope my posts are a little more understandable now I do not misspell many words. But it still will not tell me the "jest" "just" or "gist" Razz of things.
But hay at lest I am trying to improve my posts.





Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2479
Location : Winnipeg
Points : 5445
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Tue 06 Dec 2011, 17:51

x


Last edited by bigbird on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 16:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1997
Age : 70
Location : Huntsville, AL
Points : 5327
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 08:37

model28a wrote:
jdeereanton wrote:
Last edited by jdeereanton on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because spelling and grammar matter (to me anyway).)
Razz
One time you corrected my use of the word jest instead of just. I use a spellchecker and wish I had something to help with my grammar. I just did a Google search and got overwhelmed with suggestions. I will go "threw or is it through" Razz them and see if I can come up with something I like.
Sometimes it takes me a long time to post something because I can't even come close enough for the spellchecker to know what I am trying to spell so I have to reword it.
I do hope my posts are a little more understandable now I do not misspell many words. But it still will not tell me the "jest" "just" or "gist" Razz of things.
But hay at lest I am trying to improve my posts.
Roger,

Sorry about that. In my work - I supervise a team of 17 - 20 technical writers and spend a good bit of my day editting documents. And as a bit of an answer Smile Our common language is very important. How could we possibly resolve a problem unless it is clearly stated with accurate terms? Words have specific meanings although they often sound alike. The number of times I've read about someones problem with there breaks - just about causes a stroke. I'm certain they are not having a problem taking a few minutes to relax, but are most likely having a bit of trouble stopping. Y'all think about that their for a minute while I take a brake.

tinman,

My apologies on the thread hijack. It would seem that the deer whistles are not a very engaging topic. I am pretty sure they are just a snake oil product, but I do know that the MN Highway Patrol uses them - just because. They have no data that using them reduces deer strikes. If you feel better using them, then that is what you should do.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 269
Age : 65
Location : Seattle, WA
Points : 3199
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:38

I didn't have deer whistles on my Burgman when I had a deer jump out in front of me. I got a chance to see how well the brakes worked as the deer ran for all it was worth.

I spent the money the deer whistles would've cost on a latte at Starbucks. I feel much better now. cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2104
Age : 64
Location : St.Pete.FL.
Points : 5029
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 15:11

Dale
No offense taken that is why I put the raz ( Razz ) face in the post. It was all meant in jest. Razz As I said do prefer to improve myself as to not to look to uneducated.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 1997
Age : 70
Location : Huntsville, AL
Points : 5327
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 18:16

model28a wrote:
Dale
No offense taken that is why I put the raz ( Razz ) face in the post. It was all meant in jest. Razz As I said do prefer to improve myself as to not to look to uneducated.

I got that. Laughing And, the fact that you used 'jest' in a conversational sentence is a notch up for you my friend.

Daboo - Love the latte comment. Did you invite the deer to Starbucks?
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru


Number of posts : 1025
Age : 79
Location : Lafayette, Colorado, USA
Points : 4369
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 19:25

Why? What did the deer do to deserve that?

flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2746
Location : York, North Yorkshire, England UK
Points : 5362
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Wed 07 Dec 2011, 19:25

I've done a bit of touring in Sweden where elk or moose ( the Bullwinkle one! Smile ) are a problem wandering out into the road in Summer, and they like to lick salt off the roads in Winter. While I was there I didn't see any bikes or cars fitted with deer whistles. In forest areas where Bullwinkle and his mates are a problem, the trees are cleared away from the sides of the road to help motorists spot them. There are also triangular roadside warning signs with an elk logo on them, as lots of signs are stolen as souvenirs you can buy small warning signs, stickers/decals, and t shirts in most tourist shops.

I saw one elk on my travels, a big fella minus his antlers who had wandered back into the forest by the time I'd stopped and got my camera ready. I did manage a couple of photos when he emerged a few minutes later, and I spotted I'd ran through some elk crap on the Helix. Where it had stuck to the mud flap fitted below the radiator. I later covered the area with waterproof clear adhesive tape as my 'souvenir'. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2392
Age : 65
Location : Portland, UK
Points : 5586
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Thu 08 Dec 2011, 15:50

You can install all the safety features available, but in the end you will never second guess a clueless deer/elk/moose or whatever.

When it's your day - it's your day!

In the mean time, look fir the tell tale orange eyes staring at you from the road sides. :rendeer:
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 269
Age : 65
Location : Seattle, WA
Points : 3199
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Thu 08 Dec 2011, 16:07

jdeereanton wrote:
...Daboo - Love the latte comment. Did you invite the deer to Starbucks?
Naw...the deer didn't stick around long enough to invite her to come along, or get her number. Well, phone number anyway. I did get the "number" of every hair on her rear as seconds seemed like hours. Laughing

I can laugh about it now. But back then it was affraid


Chris
Back to top Go down
 
Riding in wild life country
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Inventions. Let your imagination run wild.
» Wheelin in the Country , Summertown,TN New Years !!!!
» 2 wr's battle a klx in a rugged cross country enduro ride..
» 315/70/17 Falkin Wild Peak AT
» IOC reject cross country running for winter games

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Safety Section-
Jump to: