Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riding in wild life country

Go down 
+7
joncallihan
RickV
bigbird
ulflyer
jdeereanton
"Hi Yo"
tinman
11 posters
AuthorMessage
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Riding in wild life country Empty
PostSubject: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Does anybody instals these ultra sonic whistles on their scoots to prevent hitting these big animals out there. Other then myself,-- because they work. I would like to know.----('Evil or Very Mad')('Rolling Eyes')('Twisted Evil')
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Riding in wild life country 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey tinman, I went to the top of the page and plugged deer into the search function (most of the people seem to refer to these as deer whistles) and came up with about five different threads and sixty replies, The usual hodgepodge of serious answers, jokes, and whatever. It seems the consensus was yes they work; no they don't. Well,maybe. It's worth the time to read through them and decide for yourself, but from what I've read, not even a diesel air horn can convince a moose not to go where he pleases.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:17 am

tinman,

I think that Hi Yo has really hit upon the reply. It is a matter of perception.

You claim they work and I'm certain you make that claim because so far in your riding experience you have not hit any of the large mammals while riding with the whistles on your bike. If you had been riding with a certain key fob for that entire time how would you know that the key fob and not the whistles is the reason you have been unscathed?

There is plenty of conjecture about the deer whistle and its efficacy, but little empirical evidence. In other words there is no objective science that claims the whistles are effective.

If you have confidence in them then ride like there is no tomorrow.

If you were to hit a deer or moose while riding with the whistles on your bike - I would have to conclude that the animal was deaf. So far in my life I've had the opportunity to witness the carcasses of 4 deaf deer. The car owners all proclaimed the whistles worked, yet the damage to auto and deer was real.

Last edited by jdeereanton on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because spelling and grammar matter (to me anyway).)
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:07 am

If I had a set I'd put them on the SW "just in case" they might help.

A couple years ago, running about 50 mph on a secondary road, a deer leaped out of the bushes right across in front of me. Had it been a few feet closer, we would have connected. A buddy riding behind said a second one was standing in the bushes about to follow. They usually travel in pairs or more.

Perhaps I'll order a set................
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:26 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 am

Well that's my mistake for this year - dang so close.

bigbird - You failed to detect a mispelled word in my post.

I'm so sorry this has derailed the OP's question. Folks in the great white north need answers.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:38 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 am

You posted after my post which means you failed to detect it had already been moved.

Crap happens - everybody back in the pool. Let the magic deer whistle discussion resume its cintillating fever pitch.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:50 am

Watch out for the traps we set for ourselves...

If nothing else this torrid scholastic discussion of scintillating may serve to remind ourselves and others of the need to check first then hit send.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:57 am

x

Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Oh heck, guess I will put in a few cents worth too - after all I think MN was ranked #7 in vehicle/deer collisions and do see deer about every other ride.

I think "Hi-Yo" probably hit on the best overall response and don't have too much to add to that.

For an investment of $6 I did add deer whistles to my SW - originally didn't consider them worthwhile but then noticed some of our State Highway Patrol had them mounted - maybe they knew something or maybe not. So for "just in case" I added them to my SW - thus far I've noticed some cows look up but on the other hand I haven't hit a deer!!! Smile Now what can I do about Turkeys??? Wink

Ride safe and look out for those wild critters,

Rick V
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Turkeys? Thanksgiving was just past, Christmas is coming up. That's two down. :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Last edited by jdeereanton on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because spelling and grammar matter (to me anyway).)
Razz
One time you corrected my use of the word jest instead of just. I use a spellchecker and wish I had something to help with my grammar. I just did a Google search and got overwhelmed with suggestions. I will go "threw or is it through" Razz them and see if I can come up with something I like.
Sometimes it takes me a long time to post something because I can't even come close enough for the spellchecker to know what I am trying to spell so I have to reword it.
I do hope my posts are a little more understandable now I do not misspell many words. But it still will not tell me the "jest" "just" or "gist" Razz of things.
But hay at lest I am trying to improve my posts.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 pm

x

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 am

model28a wrote:
jdeereanton wrote:
Razz
One time you corrected my use of the word jest instead of just. I use a spellchecker and wish I had something to help with my grammar. I just did a Google search and got overwhelmed with suggestions. I will go "threw or is it through" Razz them and see if I can come up with something I like.
Sometimes it takes me a long time to post something because I can't even come close enough for the spellchecker to know what I am trying to spell so I have to reword it.
I do hope my posts are a little more understandable now I do not misspell many words. But it still will not tell me the "jest" "just" or "gist" Razz of things.
But hay at lest I am trying to improve my posts.
Roger,

Sorry about that. In my work - I supervise a team of 17 - 20 technical writers and spend a good bit of my day editting documents. And as a bit of an answer Smile Our common language is very important. How could we possibly resolve a problem unless it is clearly stated with accurate terms? Words have specific meanings although they often sound alike. The number of times I've read about someones problem with there breaks - just about causes a stroke. I'm certain they are not having a problem taking a few minutes to relax, but are most likely having a bit of trouble stopping. Y'all think about that their for a minute while I take a brake.

tinman,

My apologies on the thread hijack. It would seem that the deer whistles are not a very engaging topic. I am pretty sure they are just a snake oil product, but I do know that the MN Highway Patrol uses them - just because. They have no data that using them reduces deer strikes. If you feel better using them, then that is what you should do.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:38 pm

I didn't have deer whistles on my Burgman when I had a deer jump out in front of me. I got a chance to see how well the brakes worked as the deer ran for all it was worth.

I spent the money the deer whistles would've cost on a latte at Starbucks. I feel much better now. cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Dale
No offense taken that is why I put the raz ( Razz ) face in the post. It was all meant in jest. Razz As I said do prefer to improve myself as to not to look to uneducated.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 6:16 pm

model28a wrote:
Dale
No offense taken that is why I put the raz ( Razz ) face in the post. It was all meant in jest. Razz As I said do prefer to improve myself as to not to look to uneducated.

I got that. Laughing And, the fact that you used 'jest' in a conversational sentence is a notch up for you my friend.

Daboo - Love the latte comment. Did you invite the deer to Starbucks?
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Why? What did the deer do to deserve that?

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 pm

I've done a bit of touring in Sweden where elk or moose ( the Bullwinkle one! Smile ) are a problem wandering out into the road in Summer, and they like to lick salt off the roads in Winter. While I was there I didn't see any bikes or cars fitted with deer whistles. In forest areas where Bullwinkle and his mates are a problem, the trees are cleared away from the sides of the road to help motorists spot them. There are also triangular roadside warning signs with an elk logo on them, as lots of signs are stolen as souvenirs you can buy small warning signs, stickers/decals, and t shirts in most tourist shops.

I saw one elk on my travels, a big fella minus his antlers who had wandered back into the forest by the time I'd stopped and got my camera ready. I did manage a couple of photos when he emerged a few minutes later, and I spotted I'd ran through some elk crap on the Helix. Where it had stuck to the mud flap fitted below the radiator. I later covered the area with waterproof clear adhesive tape as my 'souvenir'. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

You can install all the safety features available, but in the end you will never second guess a clueless deer/elk/moose or whatever.

When it's your day - it's your day!

In the mean time, look fir the tell tale orange eyes staring at you from the road sides. :rendeer:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:07 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
...Daboo - Love the latte comment. Did you invite the deer to Starbucks?
Naw...the deer didn't stick around long enough to invite her to come along, or get her number. Well, phone number anyway. I did get the "number" of every hair on her rear as seconds seemed like hours. Laughing

I can laugh about it now. But back then it was affraid

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding in wild life country   Riding in wild life country I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding in wild life country
Page 1 of 1