Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tips for riding cross country

Go down 
+6
GHM-PM
Marvincon
Terry Smith
Mech 1 twa
john grinsel
Lugwrench
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Lugwrench
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-08-15

Tips for riding cross country Empty
PostSubject: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 4:20 pm

I have a 2002 SW with just 48k miles on it in really good shape. I am planning a long ride out to Colorado From Cols,Ohio to Denver. I plan on riding Rt36. Or maybe 50 to Missouri then 36 from st Joseph to Denver. Has anyone on this forum ridden that way. And if so any tips would be helpful. I know Kansas is going to be a long haul and Im concerned about gas and motels., such as how many miles per day, what to take as far as tools, what should I service before taking off. I have new tires on front and back. I have a new belt and rollers to install. I also am thinking of having a mechanic check it out.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 4:56 pm

With over 400,000 miles rubber band drive scooters since 1990, 80% US, the other 20% in Japan or Korea-----been as far as Alaska and Nova Scotia with SilverWing.

You need #1 professional riding clothes waterproof including boots! Good supply of foam earplugs
#2 Complete tool kit including tire repair kit/hand pump better/bike jumper cables nice to have

For me, SilverWings, for over 90,000 miles were reliable----but, at now 81, a little heavy for me.

I once rode US 50 across all of Kansas with Helix-----pay attention and there are no motel or gas problems-----back roads can make place like Kansas interesting. When I do not exactly know where I am going or where I am----I gas every 100 miles as I hate walking----my experience only one place in N. America you have to carry gas---James Bay Road in Quebec.

Daily rider since 1955, motorcycles mostly---And still going strong----Lifetime over 1.5 million miles 2 wheel----I use the following rule.....every 50 miles or one hour, stop get off bike/walk around/pee---you can go a long way and not be tired this way-----250 miles ideal day, me, at 400 miles besides being tired, my ear canals start to hurt from foam plugs, and bored.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Good advice from John. Plan for weather. Day after day riding will wear you out. Back roads are nice but miles are slower and take more time. Keep hydrated makes you pee more another reason for a break. 200 a day on back roads can equal 4-6 hours seat time.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 10:11 pm

For me the biggest challenge on a long-distance ride is fatigue and some of that is down to dehydration; stopping to drink regularly is a great idea as long as the subsequent pit stops can be managed. But avoid coffee.

For long days in the sadlle I always take a decent puncture repair kit (gummy worms and the insertion tool plus glue) and I've recently started carrying a tiny compressor; I have a plug wired to the battery that makes this easy to use. If the bike is well maintained (especially oil, coolant, belt and tyres) then I doubt there is anything mechanical that will slow you down, but a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere certainly will. I also have a TPMS which is great for peace of mind.

I carry a wet sponge in a ziplock bag for visor cleaning, spare gloves (in case one set gets saturated) plus a selection of wire, cable ties and nuts and bolts plus some basic tools. You should also consider security when you are parking away from home, maybe a cable lock or disc lock.
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 6:50 am

Terry Smith wrote:
For me the biggest challenge on a long-distance ride is fatigue and some of that is down to dehydration; stopping to drink regularly is a great idea as long as the subsequent pit stops can be managed. But avoid coffee.

For long days in the sadlle I always take a decent puncture repair kit (gummy worms and the insertion tool plus glue) and I've recently started carrying a tiny compressor; I have a plug wired to the battery that makes this easy to use. If the bike is well maintained (especially oil, coolant, belt and tyres) then I doubt there is anything mechanical that will slow you down, but a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere certainly will. I also have a TPMS which is great for peace of mind.

I carry a wet sponge in a ziplock bag for visor cleaning, spare gloves (in case one set gets saturated) plus a selection of wire, cable ties and nuts and bolts plus some basic tools. You should also consider security when you are parking away from home, maybe a cable lock or disc lock.  

Terry, I see you've moved to the Northern Hemisphere Laughing
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 am

I carry very little in tools, just the bare minimum. Used to take what seemed like hundreds of pounds of tools and didn't need them. No air compressor etc. I carry an automobile club card to tow the scoot if necessary. That said all maintenance is performed before the trip.

As to comfort, hours in the saddle are the key. I have done 400+ days with some discomfort but the worst day was less than 300 miles but due to roads etc. 11 hours in the saddle. OUCH I was sore for days after that. 200-300 mile days are ideal for me giving me time to stop for pictures and sightseeing.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 am

I sorted out my my riding and travel gear requirements years ago, and a lot of the stuff I pack for touring is also useful for European long weekend breaks where we're restricted to hand luggage.

This year would have been the last for Brits travelling to Europe as full EU ctizens, but of course Covid-19 and lockdown has changed all that. Finalising our Brexit deal has taken a back seat to the pandemic since lockdown and it's still unclear what extra documents we'll need at European entry ports in 2021. There's talk of International Driving Permits and insurance Green Cards for again, documents I haven't used since EU countries went open borders many years ago.

Coronavirus also means what we were used to in hotels and other accommodation isn't going to be the same either. There's all sorts of measures being introduced, the end of the help yourself breakfast buffet just one example.

I've no idea what's going to happen in the next few months so I'm not making any touring plans for this year. I had a few ideas and destinations at the start of the year, and obviously during lockdown I've had a lot more time to research them, but at the moment going riding in Europe is very low priority.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 pm

My wife and I, when we were younger, made two trips to FL from MN.

The first was on a 1974 Honda CB750. I had a luggage rack and two hard saddle bags. I put tools, chain lube and a quart of oil in one and Cigs and toiletries etc in the other. I told her whatever she could fit in the topbox for clothes she could take. I loaded my clothes in a small duffel that I strapped onto the topbox.

We didn't make any reservations and played motels by ear. We'd wake up when we woke up and had breakfast and got underway. Everytime we stopped for gas we went in for potty breaks and coffee or lunch. It took us 3 days to get to FL but it was fun.

The second trip was on a 1980 Yamaha XS 850 with a driveshaft instead of a chain. It was a bit heavier but handled great.

The first trip we hit about 150 miles of rain but not all at once. The second trip we hit only about 10 miles of rain but it was so hot we didn't even stop to put on rain gear. It felt great. And a few miles down the road we were dry again anyway.

This probably wasn't totally on topic but I thought I'd share it.

She's been gone for 7 years now but sometimes I swear I can still feel her on the back. I ask, "Are you enjoying the ride Honey?" I haven't gotten hit upside the head yet so I guess she's enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 8:41 am

There seems to be dozens of YouTube clips on riding tips, motorcycle touring, camping, and touring in various countries and regions. I watched one recently on motorcycle touring in a region of France I'm interested in.  At first I thought it was just the cameraman doing his thing and talking about about his touring trip, then he panned to a road junction where a procession of another seventeen bikes and riders came out and slowly rode past him.

I lost all interest in watching after that. What is it with the majority of motorcycle riders that that they need to be in a group before they'll go anywhere.

It was evident a couple of weekends ago when they started to lift our lockdown restrictions. A sunny Sunday and there they were out in groups as usual joined together by an invisible umbilical cord, or grouped together chatting at roadside stops.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Lots of good advice here. I would reiterate that it's hours in the saddle that hurts, not the miles.
And don't forget that its supposed to be fun - too many folks get fixated on the 'must do 4/5/600 miles today' and end up having a miserable time.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Want to stay alive? Do not ride in groups.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Want to get called miserable, anti-social, negative etc on a maxi scooter forum? Just mention that you prefer riding on your own, enjoy solo touring, and dislike like group riding. 😱  😊
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 7:17 pm

I must be miserable, anti-social and negative as well then. I hate riding in groups and am much happier in my own little bubble of misery.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 pm

I'm copying and pasting several members post HERE.  
 The first trip we hit about 150 miles of rain but not all at once. The second trip we hit only about 10 miles of rain but it was so hot we didn't even stop to put on rain gear. It felt great. And a few miles down the road we were dry again anyway. Dale N  

I got so soaked in downpour once had to dump my boots filled up.  Hot day and 50 miles later was mostly dry.

Want to get called miserable, anti-social, negative etc on a maxi scooter forum? Just mention that you prefer riding on your own, enjoy solo touring, and dislike like group riding. 😱  😊 Mildrew

I ride solo all the time my escape.  I've been riding a whole lot lately.  Scofflaw to social distancing working for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 1:29 pm

I have always packed light, stock honda bag tool kit, Small can fix a flat, Clothing to dress up or down depending on temp. Rain Gear, one change of cloths. Always a Wallmart around. Plan on a SW refuel at 145 Miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for riding cross country   Tips for riding cross country I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips for riding cross country
Page 1 of 1