Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?

Go down 
+2
"Hi Yo"
ulflyer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 8:13 am

I guess its to catch large particles, but have any of you ever found any particles in that thumbsize screen thats part of the oil drain plug? I would think the oil filter catches most of the bad stuff. My Helix uses a similar screen in place of a filter and with 10,500 miles of frequent changes theres never been anything in it. Nor the previous two that I've owned. Also the Burgmans, Majesty, Piaggio, and prob others don't use anything like that. I'm guessing the SW is somewhat akin to the Helix in that its been in production for a long time and Honda is not one to make a lot of changes. If its not needed tho, I'd think they'd just leave it out and save a buck or two.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 am

ulflyer wrote:
If its not needed tho, I'd think they'd just leave it out and save a buck or two.
Or,more likely, they leave it in so that when you have to replace it they can charge you a buck or forty. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 8:57 am

I fitted a magnetic drain plug to my Helix and it was surprising see the amount of metal particles were stuck to it when I removed it to change the oil. There was never any metal on the oil filter screen but always on the drain plug.

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 10:57 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 am

It is really just a hold-over from the days that less decomposed dinosaurs were used for lubrication. Honda engineers, like all other engineers, do some things because of TRADITION (sorry, I watched the Fiddler on the Roof for the nth time the other evening).
:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 11:30 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm of the opinion it is there for a purpose other than tradition. Engineers tend not to think like that. Sometimes the simplest devices can be the most cost effective. If that little mesh screen saves something from entering the system it gets my vote.

Meldrew
In days of yor when they allowed me to service her majesties naval helicopters we had magnetic plugs on most of the gearboxes and such and I was always amazed at how much debris/swarf was collected by these tiny magnets. (If a nice collection of particles was found it usually meant a nights work changing the particular gearbox.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 4:07 pm

If you know the size of the Silver Wing sump plug Hein Gericke might have a magnetic one, they sell a range of them for £3.99, and a set of 5 washers for £1.99.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 6:17 pm

bigbird wrote:
Waspie wrote:

In days of yor when they allowed me to service her majesties naval helicopters we had magnetic plugs on most of the gearboxes and such and I was always amazed at how much debris/swarf was collected by these tiny magnets. (If a nice collection of particles was found it usually meant a nights work changing the particular gearbox.)

Did your heli's run mag chip plugs on the main sump and bearing collectors? I know on the Rolls Royce 250 series of turboshaft engines that those detectors are critical in the prediction of bearing failures.

Don't remember any in respect to bearings but most certainly in the sumps of the gear boxes. On the RR Gazelle engine we had to 'drop' the main engine filter and empty the contents into a filter paper which was sent away to RNAY Fleetland for spectro analysis. This showed any breakdown of bearings in the engine.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Meldrew wrote:
If you know the size of the Silver Wing sump plug Hein Gericke might have a magnetic one, they sell a range of them for £3.99, and a set of 5 washers for £1.99.

Useful to know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?   Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the point of the screen thats in the oil plug?
Page 1 of 1