Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» What were they thinking?
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:11 am

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Earth cable stress
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Having to use key to open seat

Go down 
+3
hotwings
trouble1100
SteveO
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Having to use key to open seat Empty
PostSubject: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 5:00 pm

I know that we have talked about how to eliminate the use of a key for the gas cap. I have used this method on other cycles I have had. It is not a good option for the Swing gas cap but to me the key for the seat storage is a big problem so this is how I took care of my problem.

I cut off an extra key and then glued it into a knob, this is left in the key slot. It does not come out when riding but can be removed when needed. It will also work for the lockable glove box. It will not work in the main key switch. The key length to too short and will not turn do if you leave it in the seat key slot (like I do) someone can not take it and use it to steal your Swing. To most people it looks like a knob for opening the seat.

There are more pictures in my album

SteveO
Attachments
Having to use key to open seat Attachment100_4052.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(192 Kb) Downloaded 71 times
Having to use key to open seat Attachment100_4053.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(189 Kb) Downloaded 46 times
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 5:57 pm

It also makes the older style (2002 to 2006) glove box lids a tad more user friendly.

Having to use key to open seat Picture

Having to use key to open seat Picture
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 4:48 am

Looks good guys. Think i will do the same.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 9:57 am

What about security? Are there no thieves in the US of A?
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 12:35 pm

What is wrong with using the key to open the seat?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 1:43 pm

LDB wrote:
What is wrong with using the key to open the seat?
The key is still used, removable if one feels necessary! It would be nice not to have to fumble to get a key, usually by having to shut the bike off to get that key, especially in my own garage!!
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SteveO

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 2:18 pm

LDB, as an old and forgetful guy I was always running around town getting stuff, then at the Swing get the key out, open the seat, put stuff under it, close the seat and sit on the Swing to start it and remember that the key was still in the lock. This way all I have to do is turn the knob to open the seat.
Colin B far as the security goes when you feel the need to lock it up, just pull the knob and drop it under the seat. You will always have a key with you.

SteveO
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Not arguing, SteveO; just curious. If it works..... Smile
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Colin B wrote:

Hell no! We all walk around with guns, keeps folks honest!
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 4:34 am

trouble1100 wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Hell no! We all walk around with guns, keeps folks honest!
And the statistics show it........
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 10:56 pm

The only real downside I see to that is the cut off key also still fits the ignition. I know a Goldwing rider who made a similar cut off key to make it easier to open the gas flap. At a rest stop one of his buddies started the guy's bike while he was in the restroom. He wasn't amused to find his bike idling when he came out.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 1:12 am

The cut off key is not long enough to fit all the way to the bottom of the Silverwings ignition. You can open the seat, remove the gas cap and lock/unlock the left glove box, but it is not long enough to start the scooter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 10:43 am

What did you use to cut the key?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 3:55 pm

model28a wrote:
The cut off key is not long enough to fit all the way to the bottom of the Silverwings ignition. You can open the seat, remove the gas cap and lock/unlock the left glove box, but it is not long enough to start the scooter.    

Very good! The fellow with the Goldwing apparently didn't think of that.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 5:15 pm

exavid I've never ridden a Goldwing so I don't know if the ignition key needs to be as long as the Silverwings key. Having to use key to open seat Dontknow
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 9:03 pm

It's actually a good bit shorter so the technique might not work on a GW. The ignition key was one of my main gripes when I got my first SW. It really required an accurate insertion to get the thing to go all the way in. One of my friend's SW does the same thing, fits into the seat lock easily but touchy going into the ignition. Buffing the key and lubing the lock didn't help much. Luckily he's getting more accurate at getting the key in the ignition.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 9:11 pm

exavid wrote:
model28a wrote:

Very good! The fellow with the Goldwing apparently didn't think of that.

I made the same short key-knob for my 2004 GL-1800 and it would NOT go deep enough in to the trunk or the ignition to work.
Could it be that his was to long? No man on earth would ever make claim to that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having to use key to open seat   Having to use key to open seat I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Having to use key to open seat
Page 1 of 1