Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

inexpensive topbox

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
deepinc
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-25

inexpensive topbox Empty
PostSubject: inexpensive topbox   inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 pm

I just got my Swing and it didn't have a topbox so I started looking around. At first I saw the GIVI's were popular so I checked them out. I wanted one that fit two full face helmets so that was going to come in at around $250 for the case (E460 46L) and another $50 for a backrest. (I used to own a Vespa and I paid $530 for a top box that only held one helmet!) Then I looked on e-bay and found a company called "Bestem". I ordered the Tbox 929 which comes with mounting plate (top box is removable), backrest, and brake light for $79.00!!! I live in Canada and it took 8 days to arrive (they estimated between the 6th and 12th of Oct, it arrived on the 5th) and cost $43.00 to ship so I'm all in for only around $123.00!! This model only comes in black which at first I was skeptical about but it looks great and I don't have to worry so much about scratches as there is no paint on it. I scratched the one on my Vespa and it looked terrible because it exposed the black plastic underneath.
Anyway, it was easy to mount. I had to drill four 5/16" holes for bolts (I used some much shorter ones than supplied) and another small hole for the wire (haven't got that hooked up yet, still have to figure out where to tap in....). There were four rubber spacers supplied, two of which I was able to insert in existing bolt holes in the plate and the other two I had to cut off the stems and just place them beside the two bolts closest to the back. Just have to be careful where you drill the holes because of the ribbing under the carrier and where the plastic cover attaches underneath. The front part of the mount sits nicely on the curve of the carrier. All in all I am quite pleased. The box is easily as good quality as my previous $530. model. The only small bitch I have is that the latch is what I would call a bit 'fiddley" but once you get used to it, it is fine. When you unlock it, you can easily pull the big red release catch and take the box off. The wiring has two connectors which also come apart easily so away you go!
So I just thought I would share this as I do find some of these top boxes ridiculously over priced.
Next up, new windshield and heated grips!
deep
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

inexpensive topbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: inexpensive topbox   inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Deep said : "still have to figure out where to tap in."

You might consider looking at Dennis' perfect connector...

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2847-the-perfect-connector

It will save you any wire cutting. A lot of us here are using it for our scoot.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

inexpensive topbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: inexpensive topbox   inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 pm

I have a Bestem on my Reflex and it's not bad for the money, but I have some issues with it.

I bought the GIVI mount (I think it's called Monokey) for my Silver Wing because of how well it integrates into the rear deck of the bike. The Bestem version almost seems like it would fit in the GIVI footprint and the front part actually does slide in correctly (I believe because it was a GIVI clone), however the GIVI latch and the Bestem latch are on opposite sides of the locking nub thingy so it doesn't work.

HOWEVER- If you have the GIVI mount (again I think its the monokey) and you buy the large JCWhitney trunk (also a GIVI clone) it will fit BUT due to minor design changes to the latch over time you have to do some minor modification to the latch on the topcase to get it to line up to the nub properly. That's what i use on my bike- it looks super-clean and you don't have to use that crappy-looking mounting plate bestem provides.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

inexpensive topbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: inexpensive topbox   inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Jesse, I've just noticed it states on the Bestem site that their boxes won't fit on the Givi plate....as you discovered:

http://www.bestemusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=683

IIRC Shad boxes fit on the Monolock plates.

As for prices: indeed Givi Monokey boxes are expensive but they are robust (mostly double-skinned) and last for years.
There is no distortion or flexing and they are very secure.
I've had mine six years and it's like new.
Back to top Go down
kyouteki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
kyouteki

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-08-10

inexpensive topbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: inexpensive topbox   inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Hm, my Swing came with a Bestem box and a Givi mounting plate, and it works perfectly. Maybe it's just because the box is an older model.
Back to top Go down
http://www.samuelmcconnell.com
Sponsored content

inexpensive topbox Empty
PostSubject: Re: inexpensive topbox   inexpensive topbox I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

inexpensive topbox
Page 1 of 1