Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2-wheel attitudes

Go down 
+4
The Scootist
MikeO
Waspie
tubeck
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 10:50 am

your going down the road. Do you wave at all 2 wheelers? or try to determine if they are first. you wait, then they wave and you don't get a chance (darn it!!) or you wave, they don't. (DARN IT!!!!)
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 am

In the UK the greeting used when encountering a fellow rider is to nod. France I believe they stick out a leg!

On the whole I tend to acknowledge most riders. Not to the detriment of safety though. Until the other day I had an open attitude to all riders. Twisted Evil

Peak summer over here is a no - no to rice rockets. There too busy with their noses up there own exhaust pipe. HD riders are on another ethereal plane and see no one other than HD riders!!! (Strange breed.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 am

Ours is a unique down low 2 fingers out motion
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3797
Registration date : 2009-06-29

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 am

Here, riders coming in the opposite direction 'wave' by taking their left hand off the bars and sort-of just straightening the arm - it's not an all-out wave as such.
Overtaking riders do stick out their right leg if one waves as they come past.
I tried the 'leg' thing once on my X9 and the wind nearly yanked me off the bike so I don't do that!
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 am

thats close to ours. I don't thinks i'm going to adopt the stick - the - leg - out thing either
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 12:54 pm

"Ours is a unique down low 2 fingers out motion"

Around here most riders acknowledge each other with a similar friendly gesture - two fingers down low. The exception to that would be that only a few Harley riders wave to other riders who are not on a Harley. I agree - strange indeed.

Then of course, there is the tightly clenched fist held at arms length with middle finger extended towards the sky which is used to acknowledge idiots in SUVs talking on their cell phones who mindlessly drift into your lane without so much as a glance to see it the lane is clear.

Last edited by The Scootist on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 1:07 pm

I waved, nodded, and acknowledged headlight flashes for years but nowadays it's pretty meaningless so I don't usually bother, and it's no big deal if no one waves or nods at me. You don't wave to every other car driver on the road do you. I'll still give and acknowledge courtesies from other drivers and riders with a wave or nod or a headlight flash, and I like to give bus drivers the extra space they need on busy streets.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
2-wheel attitudes 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 2:24 pm

I've always tried to wave, nod, or signal to other riders. I never heard of the "stick out the leg" thing. Maybe they did that and I didn't notice. Whether they wave back makes no difference to me. Maybe I'm the tenth person to wave at them and they'll realize that the biker community is special and they will join it. Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 3:25 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm

I find in the spring when the temperature gets over 50F and the sky looks like it won't rain, that motorcycle riders come out like a bug hatch. They are everywhere. In their excitement, they will wave at anything on two wheels, no matter how far away it is. If it isn't moving, they have this instinctive need to polish it. Laughing

My point is, that there is a logical time to wave and not to wave. I saw a list once that I wish I could find again. It said things like you didn't wave at riders on multi-lane roads. Or when going to or from Sturgis. Your arm would fall off!

There's a guy who I used to see every morning on the way to work. I loved his excitement. He rode a sports bike, and his left arm was flung up as high as it could go waving at every biker he saw...which was almost constantly. His side of the freeway was only moderately busy. My side was always jammed with rush hour commuters. I only returned his wave a couple times, then decided it was better to keep both hands on the grips in case one of the cages next to me decided to be where I was.

I can see myself lying in a hospital bed, all broken up. My wife and kids are standing next to the bed and ask me how it happened. I tell them I had to see if the rider on the other side of the freeway returned my wave or not. Or that I was looking for riders on the other side and didn't see the guy cut me off till it was too late. Rolling Eyes Nah...that won't go over so well.

People who don't live in heavily populated areas usually don't understand. But if you live in an area with lots of traffic like Seattle, and especially with the thousands of bikers that come out for a couple months, you will. I'll wave at other bikers on every two-lane road. But otherwise, the traffic is too heavy to pay that much attention to wave at others...who probably won't see you anyway.

In a week or so, the garage queens will be tucked away safe and dry for another 8-9 months and there will be only a few bikers on the road. They are easy to pick out at times like that...and I do feel an affinity for them. At times like that when the temp is in the 30s and the rain is coming down...I'll wave at them if at all possible. They are like me.

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 4:04 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 4:07 pm

bigbird wrote:
Daboo wrote:

In a week or so, the garage queens will be tucked away safe and dry for another 8-9 months and there will be only a few bikers on the road.
...If I lived there my bike would be active year round. ...
I ride a "real" motorcycle...a scooter. In the winter, it gets washed by rain and road spray. Laughing Cool

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2-wheel attitudes Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2-wheel attitudes   2-wheel attitudes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2-wheel attitudes
Page 1 of 1