Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror

Go down 
+3
Waspie
Ishkatan
tarmacburner2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  Empty
PostSubject: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:16 pm

I have pinched this post from Gio over on BurgmanUSA, I hope he doesn't mind.

Looks like this idea may be a good one especially when riding in cities. Often you can find you need eyes in the back of your head to keep track of other riders and drivers as they all juggle for space. The same applies on motorways when an over the shoulder 'lifesaver' look may mean you miss the car in front and in the slow lane pulling out into your path because you are in his blind spot !

http://www.huntercreate.com/index.htm

Me speaking now - I will try and contact this company in the morning and get details of price etc. Also I'll try and get a discount for people mentioning Silverwing600 or BurgmanUSA forums.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 am

Uh Oh... I am not sure I would not spend all my time watching myself and not looking where I am going.... Cool

Seems like a good idea but it will partly block the air flow from the vent in the middle of the windshield ir you attach it to the windscreen ... The Swing needs the airflow... it would have to be shifted forward.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:31 am

Apparently they are working on a means to fix it to the covered handlebars that most scooters have. That would bring it further forward.
When I phone I'll ask about blocking the vented air.

This video shows how far off the screen the Riderscan sits so no problem with blocking vented air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eSsrwDUlY&feature=related

Just spoken to the inventor. £36.00 + postage is an introductory price so probably no additional discount. None in stock at the moment but I am on the list of people to be contacted when he does have them available. I'll post on this site or go and register yourself on his website.

Cheers,

Last edited by tarmacburner2 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 am

Ishkatan wrote:
Uh Oh... I am not sure I would not spend all my time watching myself and not looking where I am going.... Cool

Seems like a good idea but it will partly block the air flow from the vent in the middle of the windshield ir you attach it to the windscreen ... The Swing needs the airflow... it would have to be shifted forward.

My first thoughts re. looking at myself. (Apart from it needing to be wide angle Laughing .) That said, some HBM or Harry Black Masking tape would suitable remove the distraction in the centre.

It would be a real boon for any rider with a problem looking over their shoulder. I'm not getting any younger and the odd shoulder/back problem sometimes negates the lifesaver, more at slower speeds, I find the mirrors quite capable when at motorway speeds.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 pm

For a few years I rode round with a pair of SAENG Quick-Scan mirrors fitted to sides of the Sprint Manufacturing screen on my Helix. I can't say I prefer the convex wide angle look to a conventional mirror, and you have to look at them just that little bit longer as your brain converts the image.

Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Seems like a very clever idea, but like others I would find it very distracting. At the inside-bottom of the regular mirrors I have mounted those small rectangular wide angle mirror add-ons you can get in any autostore. They block very little of the main mirror surface and give me a very effective view to the far sides. Most of the time I can see what I need to by quickly scanning the regular mirror and wide angle mirror. What works for me might not work for everybody, but I just wanted to throw it out there.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Looking at the videos I can see two scenarios where this would be very good for me. One is in towns, the other on motorways.
I am begnning to suffer with a problem in my neck (no-one on this forum I hasten to add!) where I cant turn it as much as I used to. This little device maybe a possible answer,but not a replacement for those 'lifesaver' glances. I'll fit one and post a report (hopefully with pictures) when I have assessed it.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 am

Waspie wrote:
Ishkatan wrote:

My first thoughts re. looking at myself. (Apart from it needing to be wide angle Laughing .) That said, some HBM or Harry Black Masking tape would suitable remove the distraction in the centre.

It would be a real boon for any rider with a problem looking over their shoulder. I'm not getting any younger and the odd shoulder/back problem sometimes negates the lifesaver, more at slower speeds, I find the mirrors quite capable when at motorway speeds.

But if you mask the center part out, then you have . . . .well . . . . rear view mirrors.

I would love to see John Grinsel's take on this idea, i would probably agree with him!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 am

Tagg wrote:
Waspie wrote:
Ishkatan wrote:

But if you mask the center part out, then you have . . . .well . . . . rear view mirrors.

I would love to see John Grinsel's take on this idea, i would probably agree with him!

Not quite rear view mirrors or are your mirrors convex and not flat like my standard mirrors!!! Wink

I simply think the thought of looking at oneself whilst might be off putting, well, distracting if I'm truthful. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 8:53 am

I wonder if I'm missing something obvious here? I don't see what the clear advantage of the rider-scan would be over simple blind spot mirrors attached to the stock mirrors, which is what I've used from the day I picked up my swing. They seem to provide the same essential view that the rider scan proposes to provide, and without any issue of being distracted by a full 180 degree panorama which would include having to watch oneself.
(I agree. That's not something I'd want to have to cope with).

I'm all for better mouse traps, etc., but is this actually one? Doesn't look like it to me.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 am

One of the main advantages I can see with this is that you aren't taking your eyes off the road when looking at it, being placed nearly in your line of sight.

Until I have tried it I can't really say if it is better or not.

(Just in case people are wondering I am not associated with this company or product. Nor am I getting any benefit from them.)

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror    Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riderscan - Blind Spot Mirror
Page 1 of 1