Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just got my Silverwing

Go down 
+3
Waspie
"Hi Yo"
carlosw
7 posters
AuthorMessage
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Just got my Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi everyone, last week I got a new to me pre-owned 2004 Siverwing. I have done only a few miles on it but I am very happy to have it. I traded my Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 for it and I am very happy. The Shadow is a great bike but I was mostly using it in the city and for short trips, so it did not make sense to me to have such a big bike. The Silverwing is just about perfect in that regards.

I will ride more soon, but for the moment I think I am happy with the trade and surely have found a new jewel, at least for my needs.

I have a couple of questions if I can ask.

I am pretty tall at 6' 2" and I think I adjusted the backrest to the most backward position. Anyone knows if there is any trick to gain another inch of space maybe?

The former owner had it down on both sides, nothing bad but small scratches on the back plastic sides. Short of painting the whole thing, does anyone know of anything I could do economically? I was thinking of possibly putting on the scratches some bumber plastic cover, maybe 1" wide and a few inches long to cover and protect the sides, anyone else done anything like that?

Thanks a lot.

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Just got my Silverwing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:46 pm

welcome Carlosw, we are happy to have you here. There are a number of posts about more leg/butt room. By using the search function (top of the page middle of the topics) a lot of information will come your way. Then you can decide what is best for you. This is true of most topics and eliminates going over the same topic over and over.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Welcome Carlosw, "Hi Yo" said it really regards information. There is a wealth already on here and the search facility is your friend in this regard.

However if really stuck, by all means shout, we're all here to support each other.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Welcome to the friendliest Silverwing forum. Please add yourselves (or post to be added) to the Silverwing600 Google Map https://www.silverwing600.com/t3322-silverwing600-google-map#30262

carlosw wrote:
I am pretty tall at 6' 2" and I think I adjusted the backrest to the most backward position. Anyone knows if there is any trick to gain another inch of space maybe?

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3766-seat-adjustment#34362

Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 2:48 pm

I dropped my first Burgman 400 on both sides. I already had reflective tape on those areas, which got chewed up along with the paint. When I replaced the reflective tape and touched up the paint, the scratches weren't that noticeable.

You can buy reflective tape from eBay or Streetglo in various colors. Mine is black and doesn't show up hardly at all in the daylight, but does at night. If anyone sees it in the daylight, they've just thought it was factory pinstriping.

Chris
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the data. I did look a bit for the seat adjustment and that's how I learned to do it in fact. After adjusting the backrest I fit much better but another inch or two I think could help. Since I won't using it for long stretches it is not really vital though, so I will keep it as is for the time being. Unless I find some good info on how to get more space without being uncomfortable.

Great info on the streetglo tape, this seems really what I could use to cover the small scratches and make myself more visible too. I guess this stuff is pretty durable.

I will post photos of my Silverwing soon too, it is silver and it has a Givi trunk which is very practical. I love it.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:09 pm

carlosw
Welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web.
Take a look at this ,see if it helps.
http://leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Thank you very much for the welcome and the link. I did see that modification and it is very ingenious actually.

I am not really looking to do something like that though, I would prefer actually to have a more normal seat, maybe even a little taller and more sloped backwards rather then forward, probably if it was a little longer it would be more comfortable for me, I think. But I am pretty sure I pushed the backrest as far as it goes and I understand it would not be comfortable without it.

I need to ride it more now to see how it goes, maybe it will be fine like this for now. Will see. I guess I could also look for another type of seat but since I just got this and since my funds are limited, I will take my time to do the research... Wink

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:42 pm

I have done Leroys mod and it gives you a lot moor leg room.You can always put it back to stock if you dot not like it,but I would leave it on.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 7:47 am

Hello and welcome.

I use fluorescent vinyl stickers to coverup my 'indiscretions'. If you put a sticker in the same place on both sides people don't even know you are trying to cover up marks.
Fluorescent vinyl tape / sheets available on ebay.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 11:34 am

Thank you very much, yes I think I will do just that, get some tape and cover the small scratches. In the meantime I posted some photos. As one can see the sctatches are really small and limited to the edge of the side sticking out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just got my Silverwing   Just got my Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just got my Silverwing
Page 1 of 1