Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Best Bag For Silverwing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
B&M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2020-08-17

Best Bag For Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 4:25 am

Hi, I've just bought a Silverwing for touring, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for the best tank bag and any other touring accessories? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 5:08 am

Hello mate, play the game and Introduce yourself to the socially distanced and lockdown members of the forum like it says above. A couple of paragraphs about yourself, your Silver Wing, location in Blighty etc. Then possibly you'll open up the floodgates to a shed load of suggestions.

I'll start, it isn’t a tank bag you need but a tunnel bag. They're similar to a tank bag but the dimensions have to fit the gap between your legs above the fuel flap. They usually secure with straps or Velcro, and need to be easily removable for refuelling. They can also be a pain in the ass to clamber over to get on and off the Silver When Wing.

B&M... Do you own or work at the chain of home bargain stores of that name? 🤔😷
Back to top Go down
B&M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 7:10 am

Hi @Meldrew thanks for your reply... Sorry for my ignorance.... new to the forum world! Embarassed

Only got our silver Silverwing at the weekend, based in the Midlands she is going to be our chariot for road trips for me and my boyfriend. We're hoping to take our Silverwing on a trip around Europe as soon as current restrictions allow.

Not affiliated with B&M Bargains.... would be a dream to be though! ha

Any advice on packing her for touring would be greatly appreciated, we've got a back box but are looking for ideas and suggestions of how to make the most out of her awesome space capacity....

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 am

SilverWing---Hump Bag...Givi works ok, is not waterproof, makes getting on bike hard. I held mine on with Velcro---hate straps.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Welcome aboard the board B&M. In addition to the tunnel bag and rear top case, if you really want storage/luggage capacity, check out Fehling's (Germany) rear, side racks for the Silver Wing. With those racks, you can affix most of GIVI's or Kappa's hard luggage pieces that utilize the Monokey mounting/locking system.

You can also consider soft sided saddle bags that can be temporarily slung over the rear grab handles and give you lots of extra luggage capacity. I've had a few different sets ... never used any of them ... and eventually sold them off because I went with the pricey Fehling racks and GIVI E22 side cases. I like the hard cases better and didn't like the way some soft side saddles rubbed the scoot's tupperware and were strapped across the back seat making underseat access a pain.

Also, if you end up with a Utopia driver's back rest or similar setup to provide a driver's backrest, the Utopia guy sells a small pouch separately to affix behind the drivers backrest that is ideal for sunscreen, eyeglasses, eyeplugs, mobile phone etc. that is easy to access, not too intrusive and doesn't bang around in the hard sided dash cubbies.

Good luck and let us know how it goes ....
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Sadly, Fehlings no longer make the bars for the FJS & R Silverwings.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 1:34 pm

MikeO wrote:
Sadly, Fehlings no longer make the bars for the FJS & R Silverwings.

Don't be sad because yes they do! I just received and mounted mine last month (July 2020) for my 2009 FSC600 Silver Wing which I believe is your EUR FJS model.

Fehling's website listing reads as follows:

The Honda Silver Wing SWT 400, (NF03) 2009- and SWT 600, (SWT 600) 2010-

but the years and models their rack fits is not complete. This same rack ... (their product number = 7811 ST HO SWT 400/600) absolutely fit my 2009 FSC Silver Wing to a "T" ... no alterations needed.

The mounting instruction weren't the best though and only supplied in German ... thanks goodness for a German speaking sweetie! Google translate was also useful. Once you lay out the pieces and get the first ojne mounted, the second one is a breeze. I started with the muffler (right) side as it was more intuitive to figure out.

I did advise them their listing is incomplete and misleading but to no avail.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 pm

I stand corrected.
My understanding was the 'new' chrome didn't fit the 'old' 600.

I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

Looking at the prices, I don't think I could afford it now! Wink
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 2:18 pm

MikeO wrote:
I stand corrected. My understanding was the 'new' chrome didn't fit the 'old' 600. I wasn't prepared to take the risk. Wink

I had the same uneasy doubts about it as you did MikeO. Especially based on, what I now know to be, Fehlings incomplete and misleading description on their website. Believe me, I did my homework, both on the various Silver Wing sites (including this one) and with the Fehling people themselves.

They really weren't too much help because they wouldn't make a definitive declaration ... because I guess they didn't know for sure either ... I know ... sounds strange!

Everything I read and researched led me to understand the basic Silver Wing scooter chassis has remained the same throughout all the production years and throughout the various 600cc models (2001-2018? and FJS, FSC and SW-T's).

What finally convinced me to roll the dice and order the rack set was this post below from hayesfamilyscoots and his pics of the Fehling racks fitting on his 2013 model year scoot. With luck, I came across him on another motorcycle website and he confirmed the Fehling racks fit well except for the cramped keyhole access for the underseat cargo bay. A trimmed down key blank fixes that issue easily.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t10578-looking-for-7811-st-ho-swt-400-600-fehling-side-case-holder-for-givi-kappa-monokey-case-new-or-old

I asked Fehiling to update their website with the correct information and even provided them the information they needed to do so. To date, they only made one change and that was in the description of the side racks ... going from " piece to pair" which was also one of my questions to them.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Wow!

Thank you very much for your comprehensive explanation!

It really is most interesting.

I think another thing that is/was confusing is with regard to the front chrome; the pictures show it but it's not listed.

I has the rear bars - not the carriers - on my previous bike, as did a friend with the full kit on his big Burger. He went to the lengths of having it all re-chromed since the chrome as it comes is pretty poor as I found to my cost. I sold it before having to do anything myself.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 8:39 am

sonuvabug wrote:

You can also consider soft sided saddle bags that can be temporarily slung over the rear grab handles and give you lots of extra luggage capacity.  I've had a few different sets ... never used any of them ... and eventually sold them off because I went with the pricey Fehling racks and GIVI E22 side cases.  I like the hard cases better and didn't like the way some soft side saddles rubbed the scoot's tupperware and were strapped across the back seat making underseat access a pain.

Also, if you end up with a Utopia driver's back rest or similar setup to provide a driver's backrest, the Utopia guy sells a small pouch separately to affix behind the drivers backrest that is ideal for sunscreen, eyeglasses, eyeplugs, mobile phone etc. that is easy to access, not too intrusive and doesn't bang around in the hard sided dash cubbies.

Good luck and let us know how it goes ....  

Somewhere in the boxes of assorted junk cluttering up my garage shelves are two sets of soft panniers/saddlebags. A set of expandable 28 to 33 litre Givi, and a set of roll top waterproof Cameron bags. I've used these on both the 650 Burgman, and the Silver Wing, when Mrs M used to tour with me.

Neither set marked or damaged the rear paintwork on either scooter as I backed them with sheets of non-slip plastic mesh matting found in hardware stores. Neither do the straps restrict access to under seat storage or affect passenger comfort, as the straps go across under the seat, not over it. That way they're also more secure against an opportunist thief making off with them.

Another plus in favour of soft luggage is how often in a year do you actually need a set of panniers anyway? I don't need them for everyday riding or for solo touring, I have enough storage with under seat and my Givi E55 top box.

My trusty Ortlieb bags carry any extra stuff on the passenger seat and act as a free and supportive back rest. I quit using a tunnel bag a few years ago when the novelty wore off and clambering over one became annoying.

Minimal is better, packing and unpacking is quicker, there's less stuff to lose or accidentally leave behind in hotel rooms, and there's more space to bring stuff home from your travels.

In regard to Utopia back rests, they're a US product and purchasing and importing one into the UK would is an expensive buy. In the same way that North American Silver Wing owners have mainly shied away from purchasing Silver Wing leg wind deflectors from over here. 😷
Back to top Go down
B&M
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi everyone, thank you for all of your help! There's plenty to go at here. Im going to look into your suggestions and I'll let you jnow what we decide to do! Thanks again thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Bag For Silverwing   Best Bag For Silverwing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Bag For Silverwing
Page 1 of 1