Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions Empty
PostSubject: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

I searched on this but couldn't find a similar description. Under moderate acceleration and deceleration above about 60 KPH, there is a fairly noticable sound I could best describe as a low pitched whistling. I'm sure it's coming from the transmission area. The bike has about 5000 KMS on it. I'm not sure if this is normal or not as it accelerates fine IMHO. Is this just a "Silver Wing sound" ?

Thanks

Chris
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 1:38 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm

cjuzda wrote:
Under moderate acceleration and deceleration above about 60 KPH, there is a fairly noticable sound I could best describe as a low pitched whistling. I'm sure it's coming from the transmission area. The bike has about 5000 KMS on it.

Have you changed the Final Drive oil??

The first time I changed it, I was amazed how dirty it was. The subsequent oil changes were not as dirty.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks bigbird, can you get at that filter just by removing the cover?

I put it on the centre stand and took this video. The sound is much less noticable than when I'm on the road, you can hardly hear it in the video but if you turn the volume up you can hear it on acceleration and deceleration a bit. Up to 60 KPH, nothing. but as soon as I hit 60 it starts up and is actually quite loud. Much louder than when on the stand. I suppose it COULD be wind noise but sure seems like it's coming from the transmission. Above about 90 KPH it goes away.

Chris

bigbird wrote:
You could try cleaning your belt air filter inside the front cover. The outer variator sheave has fan fins cast into it. Their purpose is to pull cool outside air into the variator and belt area to cool things down. You may be hearing this fan, or a partially blocked air passage creating this whistling.
Or it could just be the interaction between the belt and the variator. Every belt and variator interaction is different due to production tolerances.
As long as there is no heavy vibration, no smell of burned rubber, or any scraping sounds, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:23 pm

I'd love to bring it to the Peg, but that's a little longer than my normal riding distance Surprised

I'll definitely follow your advice and get the cover off, clean things up and change the final drive driver oil. I'll wait til I have a free rainy day (and we haven't had many of those this summer). Actually based on your comments on another thread I'm thinking about putting in the Dr Pulley Sliders before next season. Thanks

Chris

bigbird wrote:
Hi Chris.

To access the belt air filter you remove the left passenger peg (2 large hex bolts), then the long front plastic cover. The filter is on the inside of that long front cover. From your video clip I couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary.
Maybe it's just time to check your belt, filter, clean out the belt dust from the large aluminum belt cover, pull the variator, clean the stock rollers, change the final drive oil, and then re-evaluate everything.
There's not much to adjust or that can fail in the belt/variator area. The clutch is a different matter, but any problem there would manifest itself by grabbing, slipping, or vibrations.

Bring it to Winnipeg and I'll take it apart and clean it up for you. Then we'll slap in a set of Dr. Pulley 26 gr sliders and away you go. Smile

Terry
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I also could not hear anything unusual. I did hear a slight whirring noise, but that is typical. I believe it is the belt as it forms a smaller diameter in the rear and larger diameter in the front as the variator and clutch do their things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions   Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whistling sound at certain speeds, conditions
Page 1 of 1