Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr Pulley Slider Installation

Go down 
+18
Cosmic_Jumper
MarkB
donkeyhater
Vealie
johnd
roadrunner
old fart
goldwinger
andyman
IDwingit
The Scootist
toolboxjesse
ThePPH
honda_silver
RAYJASPER
Daboo
bigbird
Gar Gentry
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Completed the Dr Pulley Slider installation (26g) today and it wasn't as hard as I thought. Took my time, about 2 hours, but I did some cleaning while inside the case (dry brush, air hose). I went by the pictoral that JeffR posted some 2 1/2 years ago. Only have 3,080 mi on my Swing but there was a moderate amount of belt residue. Polished the roller/slider channels with fine steel wool but did not use any solvent or lubricant (anywhere). Did use an electric impact wrench to remove the 17mm variator bolt but my homemade variator tool is 30 inches long which can wedge against the ground while freeing up both hands for the ratchet. Manually torqued bolt to 76 ft/lbs as recommended by Honda service manual. Does anybody recommend using blue threadlock on the variator bolt? I did NOT.
My check ride today was only about 10 miles because it was 105 degrees outside but here is what I experienced:
A noticeable reduction in vibration (no more tingling in the handgrips).
A noticeable increase in overall acceleration, especially midrange.
At 55mph-4500rpm
At 70mph-5300rpm

Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com

AuthorMessage
Vealie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Vealie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 pm

I just installed the 26g sliders and they are fab! Moved the torque nicely down the rev range. Accelerating going up hill is no a pleasure not a chore. But BigBird, could you explain how this works. I was trying to explain it but failed miserably.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 1:55 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:03 pm

A little Dr. Pulley animation:

Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 Drpulley_SR_animation

But in reality the dark grey part is fixed and the light grey part is moving (thats that part which pushes the belt outwards)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:36 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks to all of you who have had input on the "Sliders". I have a question.
I weigh about 215 and with my riding gear probably at some where around 240. I carry about 25 lbs of gear, extra tire plug kit, compressor etc so I am probably about 265 lbs plus give or take. I ordered the 26 sliders and have not received them yet out of Oregon. About $60.00 ttl. I have 24,500 miles on my 2005 Swing. I have "Metzler" tires. Now, Vealie you just put in 26 sliders do you think I will be happy with them? I have not checked the tolerance of the plates etc. but have a new belt installed at 18000 miles.
Old Dave in Western Nebraska altitude 3965 but run to altitudes of 12000 feet when I go over into Colorado. Smile
Back to top Go down
Vealie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Vealie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 am

I regularly have to climb a long steep hill and the Wing would struggle. It would labour and feel like I wanted to change down a gear. With the 26g sliders the slight change in rpm gives it that little bit more and I can get up the hill and even slightly accelerate.

It's the centrifugal forces I can't explain, this thread is getting longer all the time so I'll have a read back through it.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 7:08 pm

I installed the 26g Dr Pully Sliders in my 2005 Swing and "understood" they would improve my gas mileage. . . Wrong! I think it is smoother etc but I am still disappointed with the mpg. What do I need to ck next to get better mpg?
Old Dave Sad
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 7:20 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Exactly what is the advantage of each of the weights? I have the 26g in my 2005 I do like the way it performs now better than the stock rollers. Which of the Dr Pully sliders is most recommended and why?
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Dave:
The way the weights work is this:
Lower weights give you better accelleration, but a bit less mpgs. Heavier weights give you better cruising mpgs, but a little less accelleration. Most guys are opting for weights in the 22g to 26 g range depending on their riding style and other factors like rider weight, and elevation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley Slider Installation   Dr Pulley Slider Installation - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley Slider Installation
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3