Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Member - Springfield, IL

Go down 
+9
honda_silver
AAAA
Opalsboy
CathyN
wayneliz
"Hi Yo"
bob wells
MikeO
mrcaveman
13 posters
AuthorMessage
mrcaveman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-11

New Member - Springfield, IL Empty
PostSubject: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 am

Hello to everyone.

I have been following the site for over a year now and decided to jump in as I will be picking up a new black 2011 wing today. Looking forward to chating with all. Is there any suggestion on what I should be asking before accepting the wing? This will be a short post as I will get back to all after I know a little more and I'm sure I will need help and advise.

I live in Springfield, Illinois
Thanks.

Update:
I have owned 14 motorcycles over the years including two Goldwings. In 2008 I purchased a VTX1300R which I still have and it is a great bike. I now have just over 25000 miles on it. I went into the military in 1965 and retired after 30 yrs. I just finished my first 60 mile ride on the Wing and it was great. I will be riding my VTX on the longer rides at least until I am use to the Wing. Looking forward to reading everyones comments. Thanks again from the midwest.

Last edited by mrcaveman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:37 am

Hello and welcome!

A new black 2011 Silverwing! Fantastic! cheers

Not sure what you might need to ask - all I did was ask the mechanic to remove the underseat light-bulb.

There'll be lots of opinions about running-in; I just kept the revs down (below 6000, I think - I was always told 75%) and didn't bang the throttle open. Otherwise I just rode it.

Lots of good suggestions for add-ons, especially Dennis B's perfect accessories:

https://www.silverwing600.com/f23-dennis-shop
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Welcome! Ride it, don't thrash it and don't over baby it. It will serve you well! Smile

Bob
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Member - Springfield, IL 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm

welcome Welcome and thank you for your military service. cheers I think you will really enjoy your new Silverwing. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
wayneliz
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wayneliz

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Welcome- you have made great choices in bike and forums! Enjoy the ride-
And thanks for your service.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 8:12 pm

welcome mrcaveman

I love my Swing. I'm sure you will too.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Thank you sir for your service. Glad to welcome you aboard. Enjoy the ride and don't be afraid to ask ANY question. You will be treated with respect and patience while you cruise the streets of this forum.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 pm

bob wells wrote:
Welcome! Ride it, don't thrash it and don't over baby it. It will serve you well! Smile

Bob

Thrash it, its a bike!
Back to top Go down
mrcaveman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 am

What a wonderful reception. You're most kind. I'm looking forward to taking part is the Forum. Please feel free to pass along anything you feel will help me have a better understanding of the S wing.

I plan on maintaining the bike myself. Is there enough info here or should I invest in a Service Manual.... Although I'm not a motorcycle/scooter mech.. I have been a FAA licensed aircraft mech for over 30 yrs so I feel Ok about most items. Thanks again for the great welcome.

CP

PS: Anything I should know about the breakin period.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 am

mrcaveman wrote:
Is there enough info here or should I invest in a Service Manual

Invest in a Service Manual too Cool
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey CP... I can use an FAA licensed aircraft mech for over 30 yrs so I feel Ok about most items. Do you make house calls?
Sounds like you are gonna be leap years ahead of MOST posters here. There are some that know it all (or claim to Rolling Eyes ), BUT most of us depend on reading about it here or out of the service manual. You are gonna be very popular in your surrounding area. Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 am

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 11:11 am

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it. And I'm sure you will really enjoy the SWing as it is a nice smooth bike with some power. I used to live not far away in Champaign, so it's too bad I'm not there or we could ride. Have fun with your new toy.
Back to top Go down
teachwisdom51
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Hello,
I live near Macomb IL and we are sort of neighbors. Welcome to the site. I have found a lot of useful information and a nice spirit of friendship here. I got my Swing last year and have added 6k on it since. Once out in the country, there is no better way to travel. Besides the tabletop flat spaces I hope you can find some curves to ride. Let me know what you find. I always go to the rivers for real fun. Great info here especially for mods and fixes and tuneups etc. You will get a lot of great questions asked about your Swing at the pump. It's just one of the social benefits.
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2011 11:43 pm

mrcaveman
Hi and welcome from Louisiana.

You can find just about anything on this forum concerning mods and add-ons for the Swing. The "search" function is really handy. Or, just post a question. With your A&P background, you might become one of the "go-to" guys on this forum.

Enjoy your scooter,
Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Springfield, IL   New Member - Springfield, IL I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member - Springfield, IL
Page 1 of 1