Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:19 pm

» New to Me Swing
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 3:47 am

» I said Farewell...
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 10:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch

Go down 
+3
DennisB
Cosmic_Jumper
sonuvabug
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch Empty
PostSubject: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 3:37 pm

A couple of days ago my 2005 SW cranked over slowly a couple of times, then the starter slowed right down ... with no cranking.

I charged the battery (original I suspect) overnight, reinstalled it and same thing happened. I removed the battery and took it to the local auto store where their free battery load test indicated it should be replaced.

Bought a new FTZ-14s battery (a little higher rated than the OEM FTZ-12s) and installed it. Exactly the same physical dimension as the stock battery.

Last night after installing the new battery, the SW fired up like nobody's business. Only ran it for a about 30 seconds then shut it down. This morning, it cranked strong but took about 6 separate tries (about 5 seconds per cranking try/cycle) to get it to start. That was after playing with the throttle wide open, waiting 10 seconds in bewteen cranking cycles etc.

It finally started and I let it warm up for about 1 minute and then i turned it off and tried again. It turned over fine but wouldn't catch. I'm left scratching my head as this is the first time anything like this has happened with it. It usually catches instantaneously.

Thoughts ... or ideas as to what's up? ~ sonuvabug ~
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks BigBird ... I do have a Factory Service Manual to reference. I don't think it's the gas but that's as good a place to start as any.

I understood if the stator is gone ... then it wouldn't turn over. Am I wrong in thinking this? My gut tells me its related to fuel flow somehow but I'm not sure how to check this.

If it comes down to the electricky bits to trouble shoot ... then I am lost and I guess I'll turn it over the the local dealer to sort out.

I was really hoping for an answer like .... "that happened to me and all you have to do is this ... xxx ... and it'll be all better". cheers

Wishful thinking I guess.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 6:00 pm

You can check the fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel return line at the gas tank. Then putting the return line into a container --one quart/liter would be adequate-- and attempting to start the engine. A measured amount of fuel should collect in the container within a certain amount of time --you'll have to check the Manual for the specifics-- if there isn't enough fuel then you've got a problem in the fuel delivery system.

On another thought; has the weather in your area been excessive wet?...High humidity? If so you may well have tiny cracks in the ignition coil which are shorting out due to moisture and causing an erratic ignition failure.Once you get it running you could always spritz the coil with a spray bottle of water to see if there is any arcing going on. Of course you've got to remove the floor skirt, And doing that test in a dark garage or at night would help too.

WD-40 will help draw the moisture out of the coil. And a silicone spray will seal the coil once it is dry and back up running.

In as much as the coil is located under the right side floor skirt it can be susceptible to damage from curbside road grit and water puddles.

Let us know how you make out. Chances are pretty good that your local dealer won't know beans about your Silverwing but will be all too happy to play "maybe it's this..." with your money.

Hope this helps

Tim

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi, If your started your scooter cold the enrichener probly kicked in and more gas was let into your combustion chamber, gas fouling your plugs just enough to make starting again hard to do. You should not need any throttle twisting during start-up, on this scooter...ever. It should start-up without touching the throttle... then let it warm up.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Good suggestion Dennis... I had an experience while waiting to get on the ferry in North Carolina... rode the scoot up to the front of the loading line.. been running like new... killed the engine... waited for the port guy to tell me begin loading... I gave it gas, cranked and cranked.. long line behind me got me frustrated and I know I was giving it more and more throttle. Finally, dawned on me to take my hand off throttle, cranked right up. Never happened again.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
Good suggestion Dennis... I had an experience while waiting to get on the ferry in North Carolina... rode the scoot up to the front of the loading line.. been running like new... killed the engine... waited for the port guy to tell me begin loading... I gave it gas, cranked and cranked.. long line behind me got me frustrated and I know I was giving it more and more throttle. Finally, dawned on me to take my hand off throttle, cranked right up. Never happened again.

My expereince was exactly the opposite ... it only started after I opened the throttle wide open while cranking. Go figure!

Anyway, I tried to start my SW at noon yesterday, in the evening and again first thing this morning. All three times it fired up just fine like nothing ever happened.

This is somewhat relieving ... but also somewhat disconcerting because if it misbehaved once ... I'm thinkiing it could happen again and not in a convenient place like my garage.

I'll post here if it misbehaves starting again. ~ sonuvabug ~
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 5:50 pm

My 2 cents... It sounds like cranking with a low battery, not once, but twice, flooded the engine (lots of fuel, but no spark from the weak battery). When the new battery was hooked up, it was still flooded, and when it finally did catch, it was not run long enough to clear the fouling of the plugs. Then all of the extra cranking probabaly flooded it again. Now that it's been run a while, it is back to normal, and IMO it will stay that way. I think, once again, Dennis B had the correct solution. Fuel injected engines do not need ANY throttle to start. True of my cars, the GoldWing, and now the SWing. If it had not been for the battery problem and this just spontaneously happened, I might agree with the other suggestions. However, as a long time troubleshooter, you always look at the last thing that happened as a starting point. cyclops
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 3:42 pm

DennisB wrote:
Hi, If your started your scooter cold the enrichener probly kicked in and more gas was let into your combustion chamber, gas fouling your plugs just enough to make starting again hard to do. You should not need any throttle twisting during start-up, on this scooter...ever. It should start-up without touching the throttle... then let it warm up.

Dennis

I've looked all through the Service Manual for a "Cold Start Valve" or cold start "Enrichener" and I can't find anything.

We've got a similar "Cranks strong, but won't start" problem with a SW here in our group, so I'm anxious to find out more about the starting/fuel circuit so that this problem can be dealt with.

Needless to say, but all the local dealers seem to be blithering incompetents when it comes to SW service.

Regards,

Tim
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

GaryL wrote:
My 2 cents... It sounds like cranking with a low battery, not once, but twice, flooded the engine (lots of fuel, but no spark from the weak battery). When the new battery was hooked up, it was still flooded, and when it finally did catch, it was not run long enough to clear the fouling of the plugs. Then all of the extra cranking probabaly flooded it again. Now that it's been run a while, it is back to normal, and IMO it will stay that way. I think, once again, Dennis B had the correct solution. Fuel injected engines do not need ANY throttle to start. True of my cars, the GoldWing, and now the SWing. If it had not been for the battery problem and this just spontaneously happened, I might agree with the other suggestions. However, as a long time troubleshooter, you always look at the last thing that happened as a starting point. cyclops

I think you are spot on Gary. It now starts and runs with no issues. When I finally did get it started with the former (weak) battery, I shut it off after about 10 seconds ... probably not enough time to burn up all the excess fuel I had put into the system.

Thanks all for your advice and support. ~ sonuvabug ~
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Weak battery, happened to a friend of mine recently. He changed to new battery and no more problem,

My theory is that during cranking , voltage drops below the threshhold that the ECM needs to work at and thus no spark or other controlled functions. (probably 9-10 volts)

MaxB
Back to top Go down
Phred501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Phred501

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:55 am

I just enetered into this situation a couple days ago. While out scouting cheaper gas (really just an excuse to scoot) I stopped for a Burrito and suddenly for the first time the scoot didn't start on a couple cranks. I owned a Ruckus years back that would clog the inline fuel filters so that's immediately were my mind went. I tried cranking with just a hint of throttle and the still hot engine fired right up. After reading up on fuel filter replacement I don't want to go there and the low battery idea sounded much more palatable. The scoot has started cold no problem the last 2 mornings but once in this ridiculous heat we have been eduring it needs a squirt to reserect. I checked the voltage right after I got home this afternoon it was 12.85 & now 4 hours later it's 12.75. I turn on the ignition, it dips to 12ish, cranking it's headed for 11 & not starting. A hint of throttle it starts right up & voltage is in mid 13's off the alternator. Me thinks it's time for a new battery. Much easier than a fuel filter. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 am

Hi Phred501,

What year is your scooter and have you ever replaced the battery on this scooter?

Back to top Go down
Phred501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Phred501

PostSubject: Won't start without throttle   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 3:38 am

It's an 02 (4000mi) battery less than a year old. Ruled it out by hooking up (jumpers) to my work truck & symptoms remain. After checking out other posts here my symptoms are pointing to the pressure regulator. It needs throttle to start then runs down the road OK w/no problems. About six weeks ago it just died idling at a light. Now the starting issue is pretty consistent and the idle is not reliable. I ordered the part online. Gonna park the scoot tile I can get the new on in. Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by Phred501 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : New better info, less baloney)
Back to top Go down
Phred501
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Phred501

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 am

Regulator did the trick! ThanksAgain.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Phred501/IMG_0277.jpg

Last edited by Phred501 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photo link)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch   Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cranks Strongly but Really Hard To Catch
Page 1 of 1