Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Howdy from Houston

Go down 
+3
Gar Gentry
Waspie
SamHouston73
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SamHouston73
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-06-11

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm new to riding on two wheels all around. Though I work for an airline & can fly a lot, the open ride has always called my name & I've done many road trips on four wheels.

My dad, younger brother, & uncle all ride a lot. So I had to join in on the fun. Although my dad has a Goldwing, my uncle a Harley, & my brother a Yamaha V-Star motorcycles the Silverwing just appealed to me more than a big bike. I also still needed the ability to tour with them. The Silverwing fit what I needed.

I take my first time rider safety course on Monday & Tuesday, and I can't wait to get out on the open roads.

My two biggest questions are as follow. 1). What mods should I look at doing first? 2). Are there any Silverwing/scooter riding groups in and near Houston? I do plan to join with my family, that are already riding members, one of the local CMA groups.

I look forward to reading even more on this forum all the great info.

One more question. How do you get that colored map of all the locations you've ridden on your profile?
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Welcome SamHouston, loads of good info from very knowledgeable folk on what is the best Silver Wing Forum. So I think I shall let them discuss mods and US state maps etc.

Enjoy your course and most of all enjoy the 'Wing' It's meant to be ridden.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Howdy SamHouston73,

Welcome to the Forum. I'm kinda new myself. I've had all the bikes that your Dad, uncle and brother have but I got the Silverwing last fall and got rid of everything else. It's all about personal preference and I find the Swing is very capable of cruising with the other guys. Pulling away at 90 or 100mph (not a recommendation but a confession) surprised even myself. Don't know enough to answer your questions but read through this forum and you will get some ideas........Gar from Nak-uh-tish, LA.
Howdy from Houston Dscn0613
Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.

SamHouston73 wrote:
...My two biggest questions are as follow.
SamHouston73 wrote:
1). What mods should I look at doing first?

I would ride it for a while before spending any money on modifications others have found usefull for their riding. That way you won't spend money on something you won't need. I rode for years before I added a top box, still ride with the original wind screen. My wife did want a louder horn, so she now has one, but I do not. I'm certain others will respond with popular recommendations.

SamHouston73 wrote:
2). Are there any Silverwing/scooter riding groups in and near Houston? I do plan to join with my family, that are already riding members, one of the local CMA groups.
https://www.silverwing600.com/t140-any-other-riders-in-houston-tx?

SamHouston73 wrote:
One more question. How do you get that colored map of all the locations you've ridden on your profile?
https://www.silverwing600.com/t2657-united-states-map-of-states-you-have-visited
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

SamHouston73 wrote:
2). Are there any Silverwing/scooter riding groups in and near Houston?

Welcome to the friendliest Silverwing forum.

We recently started a Google Map so members could locate other members and members willing to assist in rescues.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t3322-silverwing600-google-map
Back to top Go down
SamHouston73
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 2:38 pm

TY guys. I haven't been able to get the map to work through hosting or posting an image to my profile yet. Not sure why.

I've been reading as much as possible different topics on the forum. I'll take y'alls advice & ride the Swing for a little while before making any major mods. However, for safety reasons I'm having LEDs added to increase the likely hood that people see me in the dark. Although, the way people drive in Houston even during the day doesn't give me great confidence. Drivers cut me off all the time in my big Sequoia. Man, people can be extremely rude & careless.

Hey honda_silver, I don't drive up to Austin as much as I used to anymore. However I don't pass up any opportunities to head up that direction, and you're not far away. Maybe we can meet up some time.

Gar Gentry & jdeereanton, I travel to Florida pretty regularly to visit family & friends. In fact I have two trips to Florida setup this summer. Many times I drive because my family friends are spread out all over the state. But these planned trips we'll be flying both times. I bike it over the first trip with my dad, but I don't take my safety riding course until tomorrow & Tuesday. Maybe the next time I drive to Florida I might see y'all somewhere out there on the roads through LA & AL.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

SamHouston73 wrote:
However, for safety reasons I'm having LEDs added to increase the likely hood that people see me in the dark.

I would suggest the Knight RiderZ sequential LED ( http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm ). The red oscillating light (without any brakes) gets a lot of peoples attention.

I have my Knight RiderZ with a very focused and bright beam angle slightly upwards. People tend to not tailgate me to avoid the light.

SamHouston73 wrote:
Although, the way people drive in Houston even during the day doesn't give me great confidence. Drivers cut me off all the time in my big Sequoia.
Make sure you ride ATGATT (All the gear all the time)

You are allowed to drive in the HOV lane on a motorcycle/scooter.

SamHouston73 wrote:
I don't drive up to Austin as much as I used to anymore. However I don't pass up any opportunities to head up that direction, and you're not far away. Maybe we can meet up some time.
That would be great. I am hoping we can get more Texans to show up (maybe in the fall)

When I can, I like to attend the Two Wheel Texans Pie Runs ( http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31 ).
Back to top Go down
SamHouston73
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Hey honda_silver, thanks for the info. I knew about the HOV lanes since both my dad, Honda Goldwing, & brother, Yamaha V-Star, have bikes.

I had my first day of motocycle safety class today. One lady had a horrific story of her accident. I'll absolutley wear all my gear all the time. People drive crazy. People almost run me off the road even in my big Toyota Sequoia. Had a truck just a couple of days go pull in my lane & almost take my front end off. I laid on the horn; he didn't care. Just kept coming.

Are there any Silverwing ralleys in Texas? Maybe somebody should get one going. The Hillcountry would be a great place to have the first for three main reasons. It's beautiful, full of great rides, & centrally located.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 pm

I don't know ralleys in Texas,but if you can get to Florida in November the riding group I belong to is putting on a rally.The web site is still under construction but check it out anyhow.Hear is the link. http://www.sunsandandscooters.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
scootingranny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:21 pm

Welcome SamHouston73 from a fellow Texan. I have been riding a small 150cc scoot for a few years but am new to this size and weight and POWER of scoot but am learning a lot from this board.

Ride Save
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Howdy from Houston Empty
PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Houston   Howdy from Houston I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Howdy from Houston
Page 1 of 1