Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Went down today I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Went down today

Go down 
+16
Ishkatan
Windrider
jobo2mi
lcseds
smorkle
bigbird
Jinglebob
honda_silver
MaxB
Waspie
DennisB
dspevack
Buickguy
Sweendog
GaryL
ehaughn
20 posters
AuthorMessage
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, I finally went down for the first time after riding for 25 years.

I was making a turn and the front wheel hit an oil slick in the center of the road.

I have road rash on my left arm and leg.

I was able to walk away.

Bike has probable abour 1k worth of damage.

What really pissed me off was the stupid cop taking the report. Said he did not see the oil slick or damage to my scooter. He even questioned if I was hurt as I have 2 large fresh abrasions. If I was not in shock, I probably should have slugged this MF prick.

Oh well, guess I will call the insurance.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 pm

The important part is that you are OK. The rest can be fixed.

Obviously not a Motor Cop... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Sorry to hear you took a spill, but I'm glad you're well enough to be properly miffed. =)
Back to top Go down
Buickguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Sorry to hear that!
Get better soon!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:16 pm

There are two kinds of bikers:

Those that have gone down, and those that will.

Glad you got that out of the way with only minor injuries.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Erick,

Happy to hear your OK. Heal-up and get that scooter fixed.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Sorry to hear of your 'off' Erick. Your OK and your 'Wing' can be repaired by the sounds of it.

As for the police! I will stay out of that side as I have pretty strong views. (Of our not so magnificent UK force anyway)!!!!

Hope you mend quickly and painlessly.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 4:10 pm

I did the same thing years ago. at least the car behind stopped.

Glad you werent hurt.

MaxB
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:27 pm

ehaughn wrote:
Well, I finally went down for the first time after riding for 25 years

I was making a turn and the front wheel hit an oil slick in the center of the road.

How fast were you traveling when you hit the oil slick?
Were you wearing any protective gear?

ehaughn wrote:
I have road rash on my left arm and leg.

I was able to walk away.

I am glad to hear you are ok.

Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 pm

I am guessing around 25mph when I hit the oil slick in the turn.

Stupid me, shorts and tee shirt.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:58 pm

As a retired LEO, let me apologize for the lack of compassion you received from the officer. He should have been a bit more understanding. As stated earlier, he was no motor cop...probably considers all motorcyclists to be a pain in his backside, but that's really no excuse...sounds like he needs attitude adjustment. I suppose that to him, it was just another T/C, but it was very personal to you. While I can understand the sentiment of wanting to smack someone who is supposed to be there to help you but doesn't and doesn't appear to give a rip about your situation, smacking him would have made things infinitely worse, so pleased that you didn't.

Sounds like you'll heal up OK and motorcycles can be repaired or replaced. Not the optimum situation, but could have been worse. Glad you'll be OK...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 pm

ehaughn wrote:

Stupid me, shorts and tee shirt.

Good to hear you only had some abrasions.
I'm sure that will be the LAST time you ever ride in shorts and T-shirt.
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Been down myself before and know it's not any fun. Hope you heal up soon and the bike is easy/cheap to fix.
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 11:25 am

dspevack wrote:

God I hate seeing that presumptive statement all the time. Simply not true.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 12:07 pm

lcseds wrote:
dspevack wrote:

God I hate seeing that presumptive statement all the time. Simply not true.

Let's do a poll if one hasn't been done before.

How many have been down because of a collision, poor road conditions, or poor riding technique?
I haven't.
Back to top Go down

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 12:34 pm

No offense to the original poster. I'm sure he drives as carefully as he needs to in order to feel safe. I'm glad his injuries are minor and I hope he is as good as new or better very soon.

I just find it kind of amusing that in general, people who dress like most people advise on this board, in full helmets, mesh over pants, motorcycle boots, Kevlar jackets and full medieval plate mail almost NEVER wreck.

Of course they don't. They're careful. They drive like they dress, very carefully!

Personally, I think you should dress however makes you feel as safe as you need. If you need a Kevlar body suit to get on a bike, that's what you should wear. Maybe you shouldn't be on a bike at all because it's much safer on your couch, but if it gets you on two wheels it works.

But when I see a guy wearing shorts on something with two wheels and a motor, I always think here's someone who doesn't understand risk at all.

I am not a safety nut. In fact I'm very far from it. I wear half-helmets, sneakers sometimes and if it's hot I'll shed my riding jacket, which doesn't even have shoulder pads, elbow pads and a back pad.

But shorts are a pet peeve of mine. It just screams "I'M CARELESS."

I know the last thing Erick needs or wants is a lecture, and I'm not talking about you specifically. It's been hot as hell here in TN lately so it can't be a lot better in GA. It's very tempting to jump on my scooter when I'm wearing shorts too. I just don't. If I want to stay in my shorts, I jump in the car. If I want to ride, I slide on some jeans. It's a pain in the ass, but it's not THAT much of a pain in the ass.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Nope, not cuz of any of those, DID go down because bike over tipped and I couldn't hold it, but no damage (except to the ego) even tho I dumped it in the middle of the road!! :D
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 1:44 pm

in almost 40 years of riding, only dropped bike in parking lots due to foot slipping on gravel. I wear full gear 99% of the time, although I do admit to riding in shirtsleeves on really hot days when only going a few miles down to the corner store. Long pants and Helmet... Always! small moped
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

I empathize with you guys in hot climates, but only in the summer. I would be tempted to ride in shorts and T-shirts if it were 90+ F and humid. Fortunately we don't get that kind of weather. Our average summertime high is 82F with 50% humidity. If it were ridiculously hot out I'd just use the car and leave the scooter for evening.
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Let's do a poll if one hasn't been done before.

How many have been down because of a collision, poor road conditions, or poor riding technique?
.[/quote]
I have,but it's been years ago. Had Another Motorcycle turn left as I was passing him.
Back to top Go down
ehaughn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ehaughn

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm

I have been riding close to 30 years and consider my self a very good driver. Unfortunately, there are some circumstances that could not be avoided. I have been reliving what happened a few days back, over and over again, trying to figure out what went wrong.

I did got back to the scene yesterday to take some pictures, only to find the road was cleaned as I saw many brown patches, that looked like it was degreased or something equivalent. I did see the 30 foot mark in the asphalt where my center stand dragged.

I am not sure if I can take any action here. To repair bike just in parts is around 1.5k.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Congratulations on surviving with only minor injury. I hope you get your bike back together and still enjoy it.

for the Poll: I dropped my bike at a stop sign after coming to a stop while still leaning a little from the right turn.

I had less than 700 miles under my seat at the time. I'm up to 1250, all this spring. I might have saved it if I had not been startled by the car pulling up next to me. Or maybe that is just an excuse. I almost did it again yesterday but managed to stand forward and muscle it straight again... no excuses. Just tired and too relaxed. I still need to find that relaxation spot between too tense and too loose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 5:46 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:

I just find it kind of amusing that in general, people who dress like most people advise on this board, in full helmets, mesh over pants, motorcycle boots, Kevlar jackets and full medieval plate mail almost NEVER wreck.

Of course they don't. They're careful. They drive like they dress, very carefully!...

I'm not sure I agree people who wear full gear almost never wreck... I just think they have fewer scars to explain.

One reason I wear my full sleeve mesh jacket and pants and High boots even in 99 degree heat is ... I like to sweat.... errr... oops, wrong board... Smile Seriously, a co-worker used to wear his leathers to work and one day told me the story of how they saved his life and skin.

He was an experienced rider who wore all his gear every time, crashed and lived to tell about it and wear it (or new gear) again.

I am a new rider, wear my gear, and see at least some of the mistakes I make.... and where I saved my a55 vs. where I should have been more aggressive. Now... I really do need to slow down a little on the straights.... So far I consider myself lucky. Hey, I even won $4 in the Powerball lottery (on a $10 ticket).
Back to top Go down
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Well it was my turn to dump the biKe today. Winding road down from a plateau, I stopped to take in the view and learned that my 500 lb Silverwing doesn't like to be on an angle on gravel, I slipped righting the tilt and it was all over.

I suppose stationary is a good speed to dump your bike at though. A few very minor scratches which should buff out, phew! The only ill effect is going to be how sore my fat ass will be from picking the darn thing up by morning. Shocked

Good thing for this website - I found the place for a touch-up pen already:

https://www.silverwing600.com/t527-touch-up-paint-pen-for-the-honda-silverwing

Last edited by Acquit on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Acquit wrote:
I stopped to take in the view and learned that my 500 lb Silverwing doesn't like to be on an angle on gravel, I slipped righting the tilt and it was all over.]

I learned similar lessons.

I was on regular road, but there loose rock on the right side when I planted my feet the rocks slide under my foot causing the Silvering to start leaning. It took everything I had to keep it from dropping. A little more and it would have.

Lesson 1 was the hardest but I did have smaller similar lessons. On soft, loose, wet or dark hazards, I learned to try to stop in balanced upright position and try to position my feet closer to the Silverwing to prevent reduce sliding by extending during foot placement.

Once I have my feet positioned, if I have loose rock under either of my feet ... without raising my feet I will test both feet to determine which has a better footing then without raising my other foot push the rock out. Only push the rock enough for a solid footing.

I have been able to stop safely.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 5:47 pm

I had a near miss just after getting my first 'big' scoot! (Burgman 400.)

Mrs Waspie was sat behind me when I stopped in a shopping centre car park. I simply forgot to put my feet down straight away, the bike started to topple, both of us stuck our feet out and fortunately saved what could have been very embarrassing!!! Embarassed

A bonus was no-one was looking and I only suffered a tongue lashing from the mem saab about my carelessness.

I haven't done it since though - lesson learnt!!!!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Waspie wrote:
I simply forgot to put my feet down straight away, the bike started to topple,

Maybe Honda should put a safety decal on the windscreen.

"Place left or right foot on ground whilst stopping vehicle."

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 6:04 pm

bigbird wrote:
Waspie wrote:
I simply forgot to put my feet down straight away, the bike started to topple,

Mr Suzuki needs to!!!!

Never happened on the 'Wing'
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Sorry, Suzuki, not Honda.

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 pm

bigbird wrote:
Sorry, Suzuki, not Honda.
I have corrected the statement in my post.

I ain't editing mine, the readers who follow will have to guess!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Waspie wrote:
I had a near miss just after getting my first 'big' scoot! (Burgman 400.) ...

A bonus was no-one was looking and I only suffered a tongue lashing from the mem saab about my carelessness.

The laws concerning inanimate objects is what saved you.
"all tipovers of two wheeled vehicles must have an audience"

Were there spectators, over it would have come, damned what the two of you did.

:flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:08 pm

Shoot, I've been riding on two wheels since 1958. I've unexpectedly dismounted from a moving motorcycle several times over the years, riding on dirt, hitting oil in the road, hitting black ice a couple of times and a rear wheel blowout. The past ten years or so I've limited myself to dropping my Goldwing(s) when barely moving or stopped. Lots less paint damage that way. So far the SW hasn't laid down to take a nap on me. Not too surprising since I've been riding the heavyweight champ for a bunch of years. Still am.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 am

[quote="bigbird"]
Waspie wrote:

"Place left or right foot on ground whilst stopping vehicle."

Not another sticker please!!! Plus, if you only put one foot down the bike will fall over to the other side. javascript:emoticonp(':arrow:')
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 9:41 am

Ishkatan wrote:
Plus, if you only put one foot down the bike will fall over to the other side.

You'd better tell the other millions of riders including me who use only 1 foot at stop signs or traffic signals. Haven't fallen over yet using only 1 foot.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 1:00 pm

bigbird wrote:
...millions of riders including me who use only 1 foot foot....

I'm just thinking of Murphy's law. But maybe I should start to practice, especially if I am going to someday ride a regular bike: Stop with the left foot down, right on the (virutal) brake, then switch to the right foot down and left up for the gear shift ...

I was hoping riding a bike would give me more exercise than riding in my cage so I guess the dance will help.
Back to top Go down
jsgeg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Please don't feel like you're alone. Not only did I go down because of uneven asphalt and gruves in the road, but I had to be life-flighted to the hospital where I had 3 surgeries and stayed for 3 weeks. Luckily, I had my helmut and jacket on or I wouldn't be telling you about this! I almost lost my foot but thanks to the great Dr. LeBlanc, I doing fine. Believe me when I tell you that I now ALWAYS ride with my motorcycle boots on, not sneakers ever again. My '04 Silverwing was fixed, but it was later totaled when a young girl ran into our garage. I now have a new '09 model and I love it. Please everyone, be safe and wear all of your gear! Safe riding to you!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 6:23 pm

jsgeg wrote:
Please everyone, be safe and wear all of your gear! Safe riding to you!

+1
Back to top Go down
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 1:18 pm

bigbird wrote:
jsgeg wrote:
Please everyone, be safe and wear all of your gear! Safe riding to you!

+1

My son is 16 and wants a bike - I ran down the hill (1/4 mile) to get air and put on the jacket, helmet, gloves etc and heard "it's just down the hill" - I considered it a teaching experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Went down today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Went down today   Went down today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Went down today
Page 1 of 1