Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Grip Puppies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

grip puppies - Grip Puppies Empty
PostSubject: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 11:00 am

Okay, the Grip Puppies. Love them.

What do you think? Keep them whole or cut them down?

Opinions welcome.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 11:05 am

I had to cut about .625" off the ends to allow them to fit to length perfectly over my stock grips.
Get the .875" diameter size for our bars.
Can't ride without them.
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 11:30 am

I did trim about 1/2" off of the 5” grip that is too long for the Silverwing. They will compress so do your trimming on the long side and install with the trimmed side inboard.
I used the old bicycle installation trick and used hairspray for a lube. Hold the grip with the end covered in your palm, spray in to the grip and slide over the stock grip. You have a few seconds to adjust the grip and can ride in within a half hour.
Back to top Go down
hobbydave
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

I cut about 1/2" off as well. I used soapy water on both grip and bike, then just slipped them on. Took 5 min. to install. I love them! Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4180
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm distictly underwhelmed with mine and am thinking of cutting them off, I installed Grip Puppies because of the reviews on here. My own view is it takes longer for warmth from the heated grips to reach my hands, and I'd get more heat through with them off. I'm also sure they are the cause of the cramping of the forefinger and thumb that I now get to my right hand. I didn't suffer from this with my 650 Burgman, or three previous maxi scooters. Grip Puppies are basically just a thicker version of the foam Grab On Grips that I stuck on a couple of two-stroke MZ's in the late 80's and early 90's.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Be careful if they get wet   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:12 pm

trouble1100 wrote:
I did trim about 1/2" off of the 5” grip that is too long for the Silverwing. They will compress so do your trimming on the long side and install with the trimmed side inboard.
I used the old bicycle installation trick and used hairspray for a lube. Hold the grip with the end covered in your palm, spray in to the grip and slide over the stock grip. You have a few seconds to adjust the grip and can ride in within a half hour.

I did the same things on my mtn. bike. If you got the grips wet, the hairspray would loosen up and let the grip slide. Got real tricky on a rough trail when your grips slipped!
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:23 am

buddy19520 wrote:
I did the same things on my mtn. bike. If you got the grips wet, the hairspray would loosen up and let the grip slide. Got real tricky on a rough trail when your grips slipped!
I was thinking the soapy solution that others have posted would prove to be a slippery problem if the grips got wet. I’m on my third set of puppies soon to be four on my other Honda with nary a slip of the grip using the “Aqua Net” trick.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 11:22 am

Still got my can of AquaNet in the garage!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grip Puppies   grip puppies - Grip Puppies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grip Puppies
Page 1 of 1