Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Dropped it I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dropped it

Go down 
+8
kbcmdba
Opalsboy
lcseds
eddy
matthew
DennisB
MikeO
Skyman
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Skyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 8:14 am

Yesterday I dropped my wing putting it up on the center stand. I had just stopped at a local UPS store and my foot slipped of the center stand just before the top. The bike then headed off to the right side with me hanging on to the handle bars and side. There was just too much weight going in one direction for me to keep it up right. I surprised myself how fast I had it back up and on the side stand, embarrassed for sure. There are a few marks from the pavement on the bottom skirt but all in all not too bad. I do feel stupid though and only 1500 miles on her. I did not put my full attention on what I was doing and the result was a dropped bike. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 8:32 am

Really sorry to here that - glad it wasn't worst.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 8:47 am

Sometimes that center stand can be a little tricky. Most of the time I just used the side stand and used the center stand for maintance when needed.

Happy to hear your OK. Tupperware can be replaced.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 9:36 am

I was told when I first started riding - only 4 years ago - how to get a bike up onto the center stand. And it was actually a good bit of instruction. The piece that seemed to me to be the key was making sure, before putting any hard foot pressure on the stand, that the bike is evenly balanced on both legs of the stand. This is determined by gently rocking the bike with the legs of the stand on the ground to be sure both legs are in fact evenly in contact with the ground. Only then do you exert the pressure needed to get it up.

It's worked for me all the while, though I've dropped my Swing numerous times for other reasons. I feel like an old hand at bike-dropping now.
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 9:40 am

Working slow..no hurry, is the key.

First full body weight on the step.
Then pulling up the hand bar side of seat.

I am only 80 kg, it's no hell of a job.

And yes, i to, only use the main stand for maintenance, taking new fuel, checking the oil level.

Specialy on dirt, not paved ground, i use the side stand with a metal plate under it.

Keep it under the tank cover with a foam .
( anti noise)

Eddy
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 2:22 pm

If someone is going to drop a bike, parked is the way to go. Sorry to hear about it, but it could always be a lot worse.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Ski... don't feel too bad. Right after I got my first scoot almost 4 years ago. I dropped mine 13 times in the first 7 days. Never moving, always just turning around in the drive way or somewhere like that. The one "stupid" time I had was once, I just got off with my head up my rear. I must have thought it had auto park or something. I learned that the side stand must be pressed down before it engaged.
Golly, now with the trike, I get to walk away every time.

I am sure I will find a way to be the first man on earth to "Drop" a trike.
Back to top Go down
lcseds
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Few weeks after we bought my wife,s 09, I was riding around the hood enjoying the nimbleness when I made a too sharp turn at low speed. Dropped. A few scratches. Couple weeks after that, wife did the same thing, but it dropped onto the other side so it matched.
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 11:51 pm

The first ride my wife and I took together on any bike was on my shiny new swing and she wasn't familiar with the "don't wiggle (reposition yourself) without telling the driver" rule yet. As I was getting ready to depart from home, she wiggled and I wasn't in position for it so the bike landed on her foot. Thankfully, the side panel was the only visible crack though it wasn't cheap to replace, it was a lot cheaper than a trip to the horse pistol.

Since then, she doesn't wiggle any more and I figured out a better way to help her get on the bike while it's on the center stand without risking stability. Since, no spills and we're both enjoying the bike together. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:00 am

I dropped my ninja 650r same day you did by trying the figure 8 full lock, locked up and went over broke the rt mirror, cost was $40 used on ebay
Back to top Go down
Skyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Thanks   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. My Swing is fine and I was not hurt just embarrassed. The marks are minor thanks to me holding on for dear life as long as I could but they will be a reminder to me to pay attention to what I am doing.
The stories you so kindly passed on got me laughing out loud and certainly picked up my spirits. Drop a trike! lol again!
Thanks all,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm

This is the place for embarrassing drop stories? Here's mine!

I hooked up my video recorder to my handlebar using a flexible tripod and drove around and into town. I parked in a store parking lot which was a bit of a side-hill. I set the swing on the side-stand and grabbed the recorder to see what my video looked like, not noticing that the bike was teetering. I was about a foot away, focused intently on the tiny video screen when I heard the crash of my swing hitting the pavement.

A nice guy came running from the store entrance and helped me lift it back up. The only damage was a few scratches and a severely bent brake lever.

The brake lever still functions perfectly and I'm thinking of keeping it that way as a reminder not to get pre-occupied with stupid things.

I deleted the video without watching it and never tried it again.
Back to top Go down
martins
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
martins

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 7:52 am

Dropped my previous Swing once. Parked up on a camber. When I came back to the bike, I took it off the side stand while standing beside the bike. I had to lean it over a little to let the side stand flip up, and with the camber it was off balance, and I was in the wrong place (should have been on the bike, not beside it). So with the weight of it and me on the wrong side, it was too much to hold. The only thing I could do was to let it down as gently as I could so there was no hard impact. No real damage, just a few scratches.

Mental note #1 - when parked on the side stand, make sure your on the bike before flipping up the side stand.

Mental note #2 - if it is going to fall, don't just let go. Hang on as long as you can until it is on the ground.

Mental note #3 - note #2 only applies while standing still. If moving and about to drop it, always let the bike go. Save yourself, the bike can be easily fixed.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Dropped at Red Light   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:48 am

Well, it's embarrassing to say so but confession is good for the soul - I dropped my Honda Silverwing Scooter ata red light. Apparently you can drop your bike or you can lay it down. Laying it down means you were riding and fell over and slid. Hopefully you survived without too many injuries. Dropping is just that - you are standing still and it simply falls over.

I came off the highway to a stop at a right turn. Still had it leaning slightly when I came to a stop. A BIG no-no. Always stop with the bike vertical. At the same time a car pulled up on my left. I am not sure if I got distracted or was just brain dead from the highway, but suddenly the scooter was really heavy, I did not have a great grip and I could not hold it. It dropped to the right in slow motion. A simple undignified kerplunk.

I tried to lift it while still straddling it and could not - it is 500 lbs +/-. So I got off the scooter, gave it a heave-ho and up it went. The scooter suffered minor scratches on the bottom of the right running board but very little damage anywhere else. No harm to me except that my ego is badly bruised. Compounded by the fact that my bag with my work computer which had been on with bungi cords was now hanging off to the right instead of on the seat and I did not notice until I reached my destination - about a 1/2 mile.

I think, or hope, dropping the bike at least once is a ritual for newbie riders... and that now I have paid my dues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 11:53 am

I have to confess I've never dropped my Swing or any other motorcycle I've owned. I think it's because my balance may be better than the average rider. I have been riding bicycles and playing hockey since I was 5 years old and still ride almost an hour daily. I ride my bicycle in the winter through snow and ice (I have studded bicycle tires for the winter) and if that isn't a test of balance, I don't know what is. So for those with balance troubles, spend some time at slow speed on a bicycle. See if that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dropped it Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dropped it   Dropped it I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dropped it
Page 1 of 1