Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Deer Whistles

Go down 
+3
masscoot
AAAA
Tripod
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tripod
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tripod

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-30

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:02 pm

There's about a two mile stretch during my commute where those moronic deer tend to forget that they don't belong on asphalt. Numerous times they've played chicken with my car, with one glancing blow so far (fender crumpled, stupid deer survived.)

We all know the scenario if that happens on your bike. Hence, I've always mounted a set of deer whistles on my scooters. So far, Bambi & Co tend to stay back further from me on my bike than when I'm in my car.

My question is, do you think it's the whistles, the sound of the bike, luck, or some combo of the three?
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:33 pm

I think its your screen pic. Coming from the geographic center of "holy crap! A deer! " Missouri, we often scare them by screaming KHAAAAAAAN !

LOL !

The best of all the movies BTW, followed by Generations,IMHO.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 pm

They are ineffective. Alert driving skills are the better defense (mixed with a little luck).
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Tripod wrote:
My question is, do you think it's the whistles, the sound of the bike, luck, or some combo of the three?

https://www.silverwing600.com/t834-when-you-see-deer-dont-use-your-horn#6770

https://www.silverwing600.com/t834-when-you-see-deer-dont-use-your-horn#6790
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 6:02 am

masscoot wrote:
Alert driving skills are the better defense (mixed with a little luck).

Not commenting on the effectiveness of deer whistles as I have never used them. But I surely agree with the rest. Keep your eyes in the hedgerows and not so much on the road. The orange eyes are a giveaway at night.

I envy you only having two miles of deer gauntlet to run. I have some eight or nine and and to date have managed to avoid the suicidal critters. There natural camouflage is deadly at night.

I am also a believer in when your day is called nothing will stop that event. So deer or idiot motorist I ride for the moment. Not going to let a deer spoil my riding. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 11:17 am

One night I got stuck at work very late (Okay, I was playing in a company sponsored charity poker game) and driving home I got to a particular dark area through a state park and flicked on my brights to suddenly see a giant deer the size of an elk just standing on the shoulder.

I nearly darkened my drawers.

These state parks are a plot by the state of Tennessee to kill bikers. Another reason not to live here!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm

I don't think they work. In my miles since 1955, several close calls and touches, one kill in Switzerland, 1990.

In Deer Country go slow, they are out day and nite.....and stupid. Just go slower and be alert.

In northern Finland/Sweden/Norway/Lapland there are reindeer-----they don't dart like regular deer, they get in front of you run down the road and poop in motion.

In N America we should have open season on them all year to bring the herds down. With bike hit can be fatal, car just expensive.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Gee John...Old Santa must have a hell of a time keeping the front of the sled clean with all the reindeer pooping in front of it all the time. Poor old Guy. santa

WIPING THE SLED OFF WITH BOWS OF HOLLI TRA LA LA LA...LA LA LA. dancerwithmusic THOSE OLD REINDEER LET LOOSE A NOTHER VALLY TRA LA LA LA...LA LA LA
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 6:20 pm

john grinsel wrote:
With bike hit can be fatal, car just expensive.

John Grinsel

John even in a car deer kill. A friend of mine died after his VW Beetle and a deer had a coming together.

Any bike accident - you just know it's gonna hurt.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

Deer Whistles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer Whistles   Deer Whistles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deer Whistles
Page 1 of 1