Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Deer are evil!

Go down 
+5
The Scootist
DennisB
masscoot
KurtPerthWA
Cornishman
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:24 am

Seriously. They're cockroaches with hooves.

And I hit one of them tonight, which makes me even less a fan of deer than I was previously. Smashed my upper and lower fairings and left turn signal. Plus there is a chunk of bloody deer hide in a crack in the glove box plastic.

I already hate jackrabbits for a similar reason. Now I've added Mule Deer to my list of Species I'd Like To See Extinct.

ARRRRRRRRGH!

Last edited by mickey on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 am

My insurance deductible is $500. Any guesses on what the parts cost?

(Pause for effect....)

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Almost to the penny.

I really, really hate deer. Did I mention that? I mean, I REALLY hate them.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 3:20 am

Sorry to hear of your experience.

What are the circumstances of the incident? Did the deer suddenly dash out in front of you.

Over here we have areas where sheep, cattle, deer and horse are often in the road but there are signs to warn motorists of this and motorists are expected to drive with extra care.

I did have one incident when I was riding down a road when a cow leapt a low hedge and landed on the road in front of me, fortunately I stopped in time,
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:22 am

We got Roos and Emus and wombats!!!

Q Whats the best way to pat a Roo?

With a .303"
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 am

I was zipping along at about 50 miles per hour (speed limit 55), minding my own business and keeping a sharp lookout for deer and cattle, which infest that particular road, when a doe ran across right in front of me. She was on a dead run, for some reason. I had just enough time to shout "F**K" at her, then there was a loud "crunch", then I shouted "YOU!" Literally. The crash split my shouted insult. My first instinct was to drop an F-bomb on the stupid thing. How's that for keeping one's head in the game, eh? A lesser man would have attempted to dodge the animal, but not me.

Actually, there was no time to dodge.

It was just after dark, and the road through the sagebrush was completely deserted.

I nearly always see deer on that road, but up 'til now they're just standing there on the pavement looking at me. I have to stop and beep the horn at them to get them to go away. The cattle are worse. They don't pay any attention at all. Except for one intrepid little fellow who walked right up to my bike and let me scratch him behind the ear.

I need to re-think riding through the rangelands in the night.

The road runs along the base of these mountains:
Deer are evil! 70986111

I thought there was something seriously wrong with the bike because I couldn't get it to stop afterward, but it turns out I had a death grip in the throttle.

I was able to gather up the sad remains of my fairing, put them on my lap, and ride home. The insurance guy is coming tomorrow to look at the bike and authorize repairs.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:46 am

I have no luck with that road. Several years ago I was driving through there with my wife. We were in our bright yellow New Beetle diesel. I saw a mallard duck on the wing, off to my left, flying low and fast on an intercept course. I had time to say to my wife, "That stupid duck is going to fly right into this car no matter what I do! Watch...."

CRASH! Right into the driver's side mirror. Tore the thing right off the car. I'm convinced he was suicidal after a failed love affair.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 am

Bad break, Mickey. Sorry. You are fortunate that you were not injured. For me, I just don't ride at night, at all, ever. Just too hard to see well enough to avoid hazards like deer. Riding is risky enough during the day to me. I don't need the added risk of darkness. I know many people do ride at night, though.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 am

Glad to hear you are ok and retain your sense of humor!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 am

Glad to hear you are OK.

I just got back from visiting friends in southern Arkansas and the Deer were everywhere. Almost hit one. So while I was there I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a set of Deer whisles for the Swing. Got them mounted on my light bar, just under my spot lights.

Deer are evil! Shot110

Deer are evil! Shot210

Deer are evil! Shot310

Ride safe,

DennisB
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 am

Dennis,

How do the deer whistles work?

Thanks,

Mandy
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Mandy,

Deer whisles work with air that you travel through when you ride your scooter. They work best at over 30 MPH and should be placed so they face straight forward on the scooter. They produce a very, very High pitch sound that deer can hear. This let's them know that some one or thing is approching. These are very cool... If a bug gets it's butt caught in one you can easly remove the whisltes and clean them, they just snap into their holders that stay attached to the scooter with a adhesive pad. It comes with them.....peel and stick.

Sound travels at about 768 mph on average and the deer hear you coming from a good distance.

You can buy them at Wal-Mart in either black or chrome for around $6.00 out the door. But you still need to be on guard when you ride. This just makes it a little safer.

Ride Safe,

DennisB sunny
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Mickey:
Sorry to hear about your deer encounter (which is not to be confused with a dear encounter). Looking at those mountains, I am wondering where you are. That could be my neighborhood. Anyways, good luck getting your bike back in order and be safe out there.
DCC
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:49 pm

DennisB wrote:
Deer whisles work with air that you travel through when you ride your scooter. They work best at over 30 MPH and should be placed so they face straight forward on the scooter. They produce a very, very High pitch sound that deer can hear. This let's them know that some one or thing is approching. These are very cool... If a bug gets it's butt caught in one you can easly remove the whisltes and clean them, they just snap into their holders that stay attached to the scooter with a adhesive pad. It comes with them.....peel and stick.

Sound travels at about 768 mph on average and the deer hear you coming from a good distance.

You can buy them at Wal-Mart in either black or chrome for around $6.00 out the door. But you still need to be on guard when you ride. This just makes it a little safer.

We have so many deer in Southern Maryland, I'm pretty sure they outnumber the people. The whistles sound like a really good idea, I'll check them out for both me and my husband when I go to Wal-Mart next. I'm guessing that they're in the auto parts aisle?

Do you know if dogs are affected by the whistles, as in , will my neighbors' dogs start to bark at me b/c of the whistle sound?

Thanks again for your help.

Mandy Smile

Last edited by Emeskay on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:43 pm

We have deer on the island of Newfoundland but they're called moose (largest of the deer family). They're not native to the province but they must like it as they are like rabbits and quite a problem on the highways. Here is an excerpt from the local government's website:

Deer are evil! Placeh1
Deer are evil! EnvnameDeer are evil! Logo
<table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><tr><td bgColor=#0a2918 align=middle>Government Home</TD>
<td bgColor=#ffffff width=1>Deer are evil! Placeh1</TD>
<td bgColor=#0a2918 align=middle>Search</TD>
<td bgColor=#0a2918 align=middle>Sitemap</TD>
<td bgColor=#0a2918 align=middle>Contact Us</TD>
<td background=../../inc/gr_fade.jpg width=40> </TD></TR></TABLE>
Deer are evil! Placeh1
Deer are evil! Placeh1

Moose-Vehicle
Awareness
About 700 moose-vehicle collisions occur on the Province's highways every year. People have been killed in these accidents. More often they are injured, resulting in hospitalization, time off work, and loss of pay. Cost estimates for vehicle damage alone are more than $1 million annually.

Keep in mind that there only 500,000 people on the island. The biggest problem is that bulls can run 1000 lbs so a car moose accident can be deadly - let alone what theyu'd do to a Swing!!

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3qiKigMGU
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Mickey,

I'm glad your ok but sorry to hear about your bike. Hope all goes well with the insurance too. Keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:41 pm

I've had a hankering for a new Kawasaki Concours 14. Supposedly the 2010 models will be available with FLIR and a heads-up visor display. If that pans out I WILL buy one. Guaranteed.

"Night vision" sounds like an obvious solution for motorcycle riders.

Moose are truly scary, but there are no moose where I hit the deer. I see them on the way to work up in the mountains near Park City from time to time. They are HUGE. The doe I hit was no bigger than a Great Dane. Taller, I guess, but no heavier. I'm sure she ended up a lot worse off than I did.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Mickey:
Sorry to hear about your deer encounter (which is not to be confused with a dear encounter). Looking at those mountains, I am wondering where you are. That could be my neighborhood. Anyways, good luck getting your bike back in order and be safe out there.
DCC

It almost is your neighborhood. I'm in Utah. Tooele County. I commute to Park City every day. That's why I have 4000 miles on my bike after just 2 months of ownership.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Incidentally, "so far so good" with Progressive Insurance. I called them at midnight last night, spoke to a real person, and the adjuster contacted me first thing this morning. The bike is at a local Honda shop.

Since it was an animal I hit it's covered under the "comprehensive" part of the policy, which means I won't take a hit on my premiums. Deer strikes are considered the deer's fault, not mine. There is just no way to predict what they're going to do.

I need to re-think my anti-HID stance. I still don't want to put an HID bulb in my stock headlamps, but Dennis B's photo has me thinking. HID driving lights would work nicely. I'd wire them in such a way that they'd turn on and off with my high beams, but I'd include a switch to lock them out. I like to drive with the high beam lamp on during the day, but I don't want to annoy people. I do enough "boondocks" driving at night that I could leave the HIDs turned on for long periods of time and thus avoid harming the ballasts with excessive switching.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:15 am

The whistles work well at around 250- 300 feet on 'roos , crows, feral cats, dogs but best of all on outlaws... go figure, maybe its the animal in 'em

But use them only as a backup, You can't place your trust in them.
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:28 am

mickey wrote:
The doe I hit was no bigger than a Great Dane. Taller, I guess, but no heavier. I'm sure she ended up a lot worse off than I did.

You mean she's not in your freezer!

I had to Google Mule deer. Named for their mule like ears.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 12:01 pm

mickey wrote:
II need to re-think my anti-HID stance. I still don't want to put an HID bulb in my stock headlamps,

You could put an HID 55W bulb in just the low beam (light pattern for low beam will be identical) which would provide you might much better peripheral lighting. However when you put on your high beam you will will see a big difference between the low and high beam bulbs ... some people say the non-HID bulb would be yellow or green looking next to the HID bulb.

mickey wrote:
but Dennis B's photo has
me thinking. HID driving lights would work nicely.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95058
Here are some pictures:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38726&hilit=driving+light

mickey wrote:
I'd wire them in
such a way that they'd turn on and off with my high beams, but I'd
include a switch to lock them out. I like to drive with the high beam
lamp on during the day, but I don't want to annoy people.

On the SWing, the low beam is the most dangerous ... the low beams need the most "extra lighting". If you aim the lights properly you should be able to leave them on with the low beam.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Mickey, I am really glad you're OK. Hitting a deer with a car is no fun but being on a bike could be really bad. So, take a deep breath and tell yourself that you are really really lucky. Don't worry about your bike, it will be fixed, that is what insurance for.
We have plenty of deers here. They are mostly in residential subdivisions not only in wooded areas. I try not to ride at night but sometimes it does happen. And I do not beleive in deer whisles, it's an urban myth, it used to be on every other car in WI but somehow not anymore. This is just my opinion of course. Extra lights on the other hand could always be helpful. I am shopping for them myself now.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle_Xenon_HID_Conversion_Kits_s/34.htm
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 pm

dspevack wrote:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=107&parent=61

55W $80.00

"All DDM HID kits come standard with a FREE lifetime warranty. This is an important consideration"
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 9:22 am

mickey wrote:

It almost is your neighborhood. I'm in Utah. Tooele County. I commute to Park City every day. That's why I have 4000 miles on my bike after just 2 months of ownership.

That is quite a commute you have. I live about 80 miles north east of you. Glad your deer encounter wasn't anything worse. I agree, they are evil. They absolutely destroyed my shrubbery last winter. They even resorted to eating pine trees. Never seen that before.

I came within inches of hitting a deer on the pacific coast highway a few years ago. We took too long enjoying the redwoods and the last 70 miles of our trip was after dark. Someone had warned me about deer so I was on the lookout. I saw one walk across the highway and was able to stop in time. The she just stood there and looked at me until I honked the horn. Then she turn around and walked back the other way. Acted more like a cow than a deer!
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:41 am

I finally got my scoot back today, after a month and a day. A total of $1180, only $150 of which was labor. That stupid deer broke a LOT of bits.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:44 am

honda_silver wrote:
dspevack wrote:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=107&parent=61

55W $80.00

"All DDM HID kits come standard with a FREE lifetime warranty. This is an important consideration"

I had to check that link to make sure you weren't mistaken. GOOD HID kits are over $500. These guys want $80. Can you say "China"?

On the other hand, if it turns out to be a POS you're not out much. I'd say the biggest danger is your bike will catch fire.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:19 am

mickey wrote:
I had to check that link to make sure you weren't mistaken. GOOD HID kits are over $500. These guys want $80. Can you say "China"?

On the other hand, if it turns out to be a POS you're not out much. I'd say the biggest danger is your bike will catch fire.

I have had my HIDs installed for almost two years with no problem ... and I know there are other SWings with the DDM/Apexcone HIDs.

If you feel the need to spend $500.00 to get a good HID kit ... then please make the remaining check for $420.00 out to me.
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:19 pm

I generally don't ride at night just because of all the deer in my area. I've had a few run out but have always had enough time to stop. That is really scary affraid I hope I never hit one!
Back to top Go down

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Mickey,
Maybe you should upgrade your M4 to a Mini-gun 7.62mm. At 3,000 rounds per minute
you stand a better chance of eradicating the little darlings and anything else that may be thinking of crossing in front of you. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deer are evil! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deer are evil!   Deer are evil! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deer are evil!
Page 1 of 1