Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ignition switch glitch

Go down 
+3
spike
Winger61
Old Limey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Ignition switch glitch Empty
PostSubject: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 am

I had a wierd experiance the other day with the ignition switch on my Swing, i wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. After coming back from a run I put the bike in the garage,all was okay. The following morning the key went in okay but would not turn, either to run ignition or lock steering it just refused to turn. After realising if i kept on the key might break off, i had a brew[ sorry, a cup of tea]. I eventually found if i drew the key nearly out the top part of the switch it would turn, going back and fourth a couple of times the key lined up and worked. It has been okay since but Iam puzzled as to what happened. Anyone any explanation? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 6:08 am

I had a similar problem with my '04 Wing - needed to gently push the key towards the screen when turning. My local dealer lubed the barrel with something, and it seems to have eased the problem.
I think Waspie had to have a replacement barrel fitted to his Wing. Have a look under 'Ignition barrel - may have a problem'. (Page 3, Silver Wing topics)
Spike has also had a similar problem.

You are not alone! Smile
Back to top Go down
spike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 am

I've had the same problem, not very fond of the ignition switch. I found if you gently push down just a little bit, it turns real easy. I am now hesitant to use the fork lock, because of the difficulty to unlock. I used dry graphite in the lock and that's when my problems started. Because I bought my wing used, I am not sure if someone oiled the lock and the graphite balled up or what. It seems to be working better, but I have to use a very gentle touch when turning the key.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 7:33 am

I think dry graphit can be a problem if someone uses for example silicone Spray...

Did you tried to "flush" it? If it is really a problem like this i think i would try to flush the Graphite out with WD40 and if this helps i would use siliconespray for lubrication if needed
Back to top Go down
spike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:23 am

I used brake cleaner and blew it out with air, then reapplied the graphite. I am hoping that after a few weeks of working the key, it will loosen up.
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 am

If it don't work, try it with WD40. I think this is better than brake cleaner because the brake cleaner will dry very fast. I think they will also ball up the graphite...

The best will be to remove the locking cylinder from the housing and flush it then, but i don't know it is possible or not...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 am

Similar problem with mine. Replaced under warranty.

Honda requested all old barrels and keys be returned to Honda for investigation.

Link;

https://www.silverwing600.com/t2243-ignition-barrel-may-have-a-problem?highlight=ignition+barrel
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 am

Believe it or not one side of the key works better than the other,that why I mark it so it would go in the same way in every time
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes bigbird, i will fully agree
But if someone before used a spray or any other liquid lube and you use then powdered graphite you will have possibly this problem...
An if you have this condition it is in my oppion no good idea to use more graphite. I think in this case you have to flush all the old lubes out and i think wd40 is one of the best sprays for this. But after this flushing you cannot use powdered graphite...

I think it is safer to use a spray over powdered graphit (and flush the graphite out) than otherwise. If i have a new lock, i will use normally graphite but if i have a "used" lock and i don't know what was used before, i take the spray.
For lube i prefer silicone spray, for the flushing i prefer WD40 because of the viscosity and i had good experience with this
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 12:16 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BlackFly
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
BlackFly

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes, but you can mostly flush most of the graphite out...

Very intresting link, it seems that it was a good idea that i used the MOS2 spray for the lock of my mothers door Wink
In this case it work very well! She bought the flat with a very stucky lock and after my MOS2-flushing it is smoother than a new for nearly 1 year now;)
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 am

Waspie, did Honda ever get back to you, to explain the problem?. I know if this happened in USA the would have to give a full explanation. It makes you a bit nervous never knowing if it's going to happen again doesn' it? Crying or Very sad

Did I mention I did spray WD 40 on the lock?

Last edited by Old Limey on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignition switch glitch   Ignition switch glitch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ignition switch glitch
Page 1 of 1