Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 11:19 am

» New to Me Swing
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Help and Advice on Purchase

Go down 
+6
dspevack
john grinsel
Sweendog
JeffR
bigbird
jdeereanton
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Help and Advice on Purchase Empty
PostSubject: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Just a bit of background here. I own a 2006 VTX 1800C3 and a 2007 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit. My wife and I both ride.

I am looking at purchasing a 2002 SilverWing for my daughter and Granddaughters to learn on and ride with us locally ( live in a rural area with lots of open Farm to Market paved back roads ). It has 2800 miles on it. The seller, a lady said it sat in a garage for 5 years as part of a repossession action.

She says it runs fine. Is up front that it has been dropped once a low speed and the right side has some minor to not major scrapes. No breaks, cracks or missing body. Looks more like it just laid over making a very low speed turn. I have only seen pics.

Bike is around 600 miles away so a pre sale look without a major investment in gas and time is not possible.

What is the worth of a bike like this ?? What should I be willing to go to and still be a good deal ??

Anything I need to look for special in purchasing the Wing ? All help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 3:44 pm

There were some early recalls: http://www.automotive.com/motorcycle-recalls/141/honda/silver-wing/index.html Nothing major and will obviously be fixed by Honda if not already done. Ask a dealer to search the Honda database using the bikes VIN to find out if recalls are done.

As for price, use Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book to find the reasonable price. A 'good deal' is one you and the seller are happy with Smile .

The FI system has not always liked long term storage and some have noted problems when taking a bike out of very long periods of inactivity - may be a good bargaining point.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 3:49 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 pm

You mentioned you want your daughter and grand-daughters to learn on the Silver Wing. You should know that the Silver Wing is probably just as heavy as the Honda 750 you have and also at least as powerful and fast. You may want to look at a Honda Reflex or another 250cc scooter to learn on.

The Silver Wing's wet weight is about 550 lbs and can go over 100 mph per GPS. So you may want to think about this. It can get away from riders very quickly. I believe the seat height is higher too since it is 29.5". Keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 pm

I just bought a 2003, Non ABS with 2600 miles for $2800. Only one small scratch on the front fender.( about half inch long).

This is my first silverwing, but I did shop around for a couple of months and it was the best deal I could find at the time.

In 04 the original owner brought it to the dealer for the 600 mile service (last oil change). I went ahead and changed all the fluids out. He did ride it regularly just to maintain battery and keep gas from going bad.

Check the tires, mine look good, but I may change them as they are 8 years old.

I have had many motorcycles over the years. (including Gold Wings) an was surprised with how much power these scoots have.
Something to consider for your daughter and grandaughter.

Good luck and let us know if you get it.
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 pm

You'll liekly be very happy with the scoot; however I'll pile on with the others in saying it's not the best bike to learn to ride on. They're pretty dang heavy (although the low CG helps w/that), and pretty powerful as well. I'd recommend a Reflex, Bergie 400, Majesty 400 or even one of those new PCX or SH150i Honda scoots would be fantastic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:00 pm

I realize that it is a lot of bike. On the other side I bought a 2008 Honda Rebel 250 new. We had it 6 months. It was just too underpowered and it got sold and replaced with a Shadow Spirit 750. Don't want to buy something knowing that it is going to have to go in a year or so.

Now if you guys think it is just too much the purchase may have to be re thunked - that is why I asked.

The girls using it are 13 and 13 right now. One is a country girl and very athletic and strong for a female. She is tall enough to handle the seat height and the weight - pulls the 750 up just fine. The other is a city kid kinda but most likely living 450 miles away she won't be on it till she is much older.

Thanks and keep the opinions and tips coming ... you guys are the xperts here on the Wing.

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 am

Honestly, the weight of the SilverWing is only felt in two situations:
1. if you have to pick it up from a drop. And if knowledgeable that is overcome with leg strength.
2. Padding about without power, especially backwards up an incline.

The balance of the bike is quite nice and as long as the feet can hit the ground at a stop and proper technique is used keeping the bike vertical is quite easy.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 am

If you can do work yourself---try $1000 and follow what big bird said.

That said-----Silverwing horrible bike/scooter to learn on....and expensive to fix when they dump it.

Better would be Honda 250 Nighthawk----where they can learn to properly ride bike----like stand on pegs, maybe a little dirt. Cheap dirt bike? Send them to MSF course to at least learn basics

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 8:21 am

I'm sure you realize at 13 that they can't drive it on public roads anyway.
And I think anything over 50cc you need a license for.
I would not get something this large or heavy for a 13 year old.
I would get something that can be fixed easily if it goes down, with very little plastic on it. Also teaching someone to ride a bike with a CVT won't translate to the motorcycle because you aren't teaching them to shift.
Jdeereanton said there are only two times when you feel the weight of the bike. I would like to add a third. When the bike has gone down and your leg is pinned underneath and there is no one to help you lift it.
In most cases I promote this bike bigtime because it is such a great bike.
In this case I invite you to consider its too much bike too soon for a 13 year old.
I understand that you don't want to waste money buying a bike they will grow out of quickly. However, you will probably spend money in minor repairs while they are learning. Better to do that on a bike that is less expensive to repair.
JMHO.

Dan
Back to top Go down
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm

During Labor Day weekend in 2010, I purchased a 2002 Silver Wing with 6,650 miles for $2,800. Prior to that purchase, I actively followed as many Silver Wing sales, auctions, etc. as possible. $2,800 was definitely at the low end of the price spectrum of actual sales. Otherwise, I would not have bought mine.

Although not quite as closely following Silver Wing sales since then, I have noticed the typical low price creeping above $3,000. You can find them for less, but more likely somewhere around $3,250 on the low end for 2002s and 2003s. With such extremely low mileage, sellers may want to more than what I paid. But the responders before me have good points about vehicle inactivity for long periods. As gas prices creep upward, the demand may pick up somewhat and boost prices further.

Although I will agree with others that the Silver Wing seems an unusual choice for the riders specified in your original post, you seem comfortable with that issue and your question was primarily about the value and likely price. If you can get a better deal, congratulations!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Took the plunge -- Thanks Everyone for chiming in.   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Just added a 3rd ( can't believe that ) set of two wheels to the barn.

I bought the Wing ..... The price was $1350.00 less than any other comparable year SW I had seen up for sale on the internet. And the $1600.00 was the entire cost including shipping. I was figuring $350.00 minimum to go and pick it up.

This is not the bike but it is the same model and color.

Help and Advice on Purchase SuperScoot38

I emailed the seller, got the particulars and started mulling. With the bike 600 miles away this is the first blind internet purchase I would have ever made. Pros and Cons - Cons and Pros - back and forth and beyond my better judgement decided to do it. I had found out there were some extenuating circumstances to the sale and there was a need to get it done quickly and that the price had been reduced from over $3000.00.

Still the only reason I would even consider a blind purchase is that it is a Craigslist Sale handled by YardSales.com as a broker. I had never heard of them before this transaction. Did a bit of research on them and the seller reassured me that they had used them before with good results .... so I took the plunge. There is a 10 day approval money back guarantee and the return shipping is paid by the seller if it returned. So the initial price includes shipping the bike to me and return shipping paid if it is not what the seller claimed it to be.

So we will see if this "Little Wing" lives up to all the hype I have read and been given by Wing Forum riders and those from the Cafe. Really looking forward to getting it in and see. Should be here by next Wednesday.

This has been an interesting almost 3 year bike life for me. Shadow 750 then Rebel 250. Sale of the 250 and then the 1800 X. Then a 600cc Scooter. Oh well....

I figure if I have to spend $500.00 to get it tip top running order I am still ahead....

I may have bought too much bike - but if it is it will go on the block and I will get something else. Really felt this was too good a deal to pass up... We'll see.... Again thanks to all.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Help and Advice on Purchase 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Congratulations. Sounds like a good deal. Are the 13 year olds involved in checking it out and getting it ready to ride? Never too young to learn that riding is more than just twisting the throttle. Get them to researching on this forum [the best] and others. They're probably computer experts. The hard part will be waiting till the weather improves.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Congratulations - enjoy it as I'm certain you and your family will.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Let me add my congratulations. Sounds like you have made a great deal. Someone on the forum described a good deal as one you feel good about after it is over. You may have fallen into one of the best deals I have heard about. If so, you are gonna feel really good about it. Welcome to the Swinging world.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:47 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

bigbird wrote:
Great price. As you said, factor in $500 for tuning and fixing and you're still way ahead.

I want to reinforce what all the others have suggested. Start the girls on something lighter and smaller. Then they can graduate up to the Swing.
It weighs the same as an HD Sportster for goodness sake.
Can you see 13 year olds safely wrestling with a Sportster?

Not really going cold turkey and putting them on. About the time this is ready weather wise for riding the oldest granddaughter will be 14. She handles heavy loads pretty good.

But everyone around here knows the rules. No Gear - No Taking the Bike out or Riding as Passenger. No MSF course you don't get behind the bars.

She can pull the 750 up. It is a load but it is a good steady controlled uprighting. It is 503 lbs dry weight. Figure close to 550 the way it is modded and with fluids.

I appreciate everyone's input. We will be careful.....
Back to top Go down
FlyingWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FlyingWing

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 6:06 pm

that is a helluva deal on that bike....my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Yerabuilder.com
redeye
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Nice work! Congratulations on your purchase!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help and Advice on Purchase   Help and Advice on Purchase I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help and Advice on Purchase
Page 1 of 1