Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Purchase Advice wanted

Go down 
+5
Opalsboy
MikeO
DickO
jdeereanton
Ishkatan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Purchase Advice wanted  Empty
PostSubject: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 3:21 pm

I am ready to spring the asking price of $3800 for a 2006 Silverwing ABS, with 10,150 miles, extra set of new tires, Givi windshield, Exxtra LED stop bar that flashes when brakes are applied, storage cover, rainsuite, and a couple nice looking 3/4 HJC helmets - one has a sliding sunshade....

I am newly minted rider - I have a whole 10 hrs of sitting on a 250 in a parking lot under they eyes of instructors and 1972 ride from Rome to the beach and back on a 50cc vespa.... so the state put an M on my license and says I may ride the highway.

So... I figured I don't want gears and the Silverwing sounds like just what I want, possibly very long term as my only bike if all I hear is true.

So what should I be looking for in evaluating this bike. I already rode it down the block, made a u turn and survived gettinn back. Hit 30+ mph and it felt fine.

Bike has been dropped once and has very minor scrape on left and rear fairings where they jut out - barely a 1/8 inch white line I hardly notice. Everything looks clean exceptthere is an oily looking discoloration near the filter - looks like someone wiped oil with a cloth but didn't get it all off the housing and road dirt accumulated on it. It does not look wet, just a like old engine oil dried up and dirty from a bad wipe ....

Breaks seem to grip hard with little travel on the brake levers. Some vibration but I think it is normal and acceptable - less with more speed. Tires are worn out and will need to be replaced in a thousand or so miles.

No rust I can spot.

The owner bought it used from a dealer at 4K and put 6K on it this summer. He "got an oil change a little while ago" so he did not do any other service.

So, what should I be looking for to finish evaluating the bike and what should I expect in terms of maintenance in the near future?

I am starting to get the impression I will need a new belt at 16,000 miles. How about break pads?

Besides oil, antifreeze (I think it is water cooled?)

The owner is willing to let it go to a shop for a pre-sale check but the local Honda shop does not really sell many of these and logistics make paying cash and taking the bike for state inspection easier.

Oh, the owner is moving to Slovenia and bought a Burgman to use there.

I would appreciate any advice.

$3800 seems a good price with all the extras thrown in and I have to admit I am enamored of the bike and need a reality check. Especially since service has not been a priority. Still, it runs nice and I have all winter to try to do some stuff myself.... and a friendly local mom and pop bike shop in the spring. Also, a local bike shop can do a state inspection in a few hours....
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:05 pm

The bikes are quite hardy and really difficult to destroy.

If you are satisfied with the price, it sounds like you are entering this with your eyes wide open.

RE: Brake Pads - the service manual gives a wear spec and as long as the pads are within this spec they are fine. With slightly more than 10,000 miles you should be well within the wear spec.

Yes the oil and most likely the anti-freeze should be replaced if for no other reason than peace of mind. But also because it is likely time for those actions to be done.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Oh - I almost forgot - Welcome to the forum - enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi "Ishkatan",

Was in your very same situation about 2 and half years ago. Struck out on my own with a used '05 and never looked back. Had plenty back-country, county highways to get my initial experience on. Then joined the American Legion Riders and Patriot Guard that kinda forced me into riding with groups and gaining even more valuable experience. Have had a wonderful time with my SWing.

However, I'm no expert on these 2 wheel rascals, so I read and research what the gurus on this and other sites have to say. You'll find most of your answers by doing the same. Welcome to the site and Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: How do I verify it's really ABS   Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:33 pm

How do I verify it really has ABS? ie. what do I look for in the serial number?

It does have a red light that comes on that says ABS and it goes out when you gain speed.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Yes, my ABS light does that.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Non ABS Swings don't have the light... normal to go out after gaining little speed...
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Non-ABS do not have the pulser ring and sensor on the front wheel. The pulser ring is bolted just inside of the front disc. It looks like a slotted ring and is used to generate the magnetic pulses that the sensor (reluctor) needs to feed the ABS computer. The ABS electronics compares this speed signal from the front wheel to the signal from the rear pulser ring and sensor when you are braking. If the wheel speeds are different, the ABS is activated.
Sorry for being longwinded, but I thought some may be interested in how the ABS gets its inputs.
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:43 pm

I hate to pay the asking price on anything. Offer him $500 less. You can always to up.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:57 pm

LOL, I fear that I really don't know how to bargain. At least he threw in the (nice) rain suite and 2 helmets when I tried ... and he will drive it to the inspection station. I don't expect it to fail inspection but it's an extra layer of confidence.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Purchase Advice wanted  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:46 am

It sounds like you've done you research and it's not like you're taking a huge gamble in buying the bike. Only you can decide that unless someone wants to send a few dollars your way. Just think of those winter days dreaming about all those places you will ride come springtime. A good deal is when both parties walk away happy. Welcome to the forum whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 am

Seems like a very good deal.
If you later take it to a mechanic, and there is a hidden problem,
you can probably fix it and if necessary sell it for the $3800+repair costs.
This is a no brainer, especially if he is willing to drive it to the inspection station for you, and you can be there when the inspector checks it.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Purchase Advice wanted    Purchase Advice wanted  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Purchase Advice wanted
Page 1 of 1