Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Silverwing Brakes
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 11:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» LF extended back rest
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
parting thanks I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

parting thanks

Go down 
+9
"Hi Yo"
trouble1100
jimjotel
mikef
jdeereanton
exavid
MaxB
dspevack
djevanstn
13 posters
AuthorMessage
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-06-01

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 pm

To all - I just wanted to thank you ALL for the gracious welcome, information and assistance as I got back in to riding again - again I thank you so much! I think I've read nearly every post here in the last few months.

The 2008 600D Silverwing was a "far more" exciting ride than I ever imagined. I really enjoyed having that HONDA to get back in to riding as I continue my mid-life-crisis... Smile In the two months I think the final total was about 4000 miles riding nights and weekends and the one trip to "Tail of the Dragon" just to the SW and South of Gatlinburg TN

Unfortunately for me and our pocketbook, Smile I rode a 2006 GoldWing last weekend that even further "floored" me

Today I traded my beloved SilverWing for a 2006 GL1800 GoldWing - I might have kept both, but my wife simply won't even try to ride it by herself - (I doubt she'll let me keep both anyway)

It's a bit like riding a very smooth rocket! Smile (and it has enough buttons to satisfy even someone working for NASA...) I had to have cruise control! The right hand just had to have some relief!

You guys haven't made fun of me yet, so, one more question parting question for the group - someone here is bound to know - I just picked it up tonight and didn't have time for an in depth orientation - also they didn't find the owners manual - someone here is bound to know this and it's driving me crazy tonight - anyone know how to open the side cases on a 2006 GL1800 - I'll know at 9 AM tomorrow morning, but I sure haven't figured it out yet tonight.

I'll check in here from time to time to make sure you all are behaving! Smile

Take care!

Don - Nashville TN

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Of course we hope you enjoy your goldwing, and you're welcome here any time, but you could have easily added cruise control to the Swing.

And now you've got to do all that shifting...
And moving a bike that weighs nearly twice that of a Silverwing...
And if you thought a lot of accessories were available for a Silverwing, its slim pickins compared to what you can do to a GW.

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 pm

- I did see a cruise control for the Silverwing from an Australian company - I thought about it "before the GoldWing ride"

- I will miss "not having to shift" - I did think a long time about that one really nifty feature

- the bike I bought has thousands of dollars of after-market accessories - I only need to add a trailer hitch to use it in the way I want

- It wasn't "just" the cruise...I wanted more comfort for my wife that the SilverWing just didn't offer - she just wants to ride with me on the same bike - the SilverWing is too light for comfortable touring for two (yes, I know people do it, but I didn't like the feel of two on that particular scooter)

- let's see, what else did you mention - "moving all that weight" - You may have "meant balancing all that weight" (which is NOT a problem - trust me, even less of a problem is "moving all that weight" - as good as the SilverWing is, the GoldWing's 6 cylinder approx. 1800 cc engine is staggering in it's power - I think this GoldWing weighs 834 pounds (US) (add about 70 pounds more for the fuel, radiator coolant, and oil) - the SilverWing was over 600 pounds and more with the fluids - not really too far apart

- you're right about the number of accessories for the GoldWing

I certainly will continue to ride as long as I can - I don't know how much longer that will be, but the SilverWing got me going again, and was ultra reliable ...
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 12:03 am

You open the side cases with the lever under the Trunk somehow. Not exactly shure how. Just watching friends while unloading.
MaxB
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 am

Max . . .

Thank you for the reply. The two releases in the trunk are for each helmet holder. When pulled, the helmet holder bars under the trunk flip open. If there are any other releases in the trunk, they are well hidden. Smile

Oh, wait a minute... You said "under the trunk," not "in the trunk."

Going back down for another look...

Oh bless you! Smile

You hit the lock release on the remote and there are 3 rather LARGE "hard to miss" pull tabs under the trunk that I missed - the remote can unlock and open the trunk without pulling the middle one - the remote also unlocks the side cases, but you do have to pull those on either side of the middle to open the cases.

Whew! Thanks ! Now I can go to sleep in peace! Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 12:42 am

One improvement of the 1800 over the 1500 was that the three levers under the trunk are different. The 1800 has the big wide middle lever so you can tactily tell which lever you have in hand. Too bad you have to sell the SW, I find the combination of a GL1800 and a Silverwing excellent because they fulfill different needs. The SW is the handiest machine for getting around town and the 'burbs while the big GW is the finest long distance road machine ever built on two wheels. I've ridden my various GWs from the Pacific to the Atlantic and back, to Alaska and south to the Mexican border plus a lot of road trips all over the US. I love that bike but the SW is still my favorite for the shorter trips because it's lighter, more nimble in traffic and the automatic tranny is great in traffic. My wife doesn't ride either bike except on the back but I will keep the SW to ride when eventually the GW becomes to heavy for me in my dotage.
BTW you can get an owner's manual for your bike from Helm Inc. do a Google. Also there's a Fob available (should have come with the bike) that will open the trunk and saddlebags remotely.
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 am

exavid . . .

I've already considered buying another SilverWing when I can't handle the GW - I'm already a bit in the dog house abt the GW so I'm "laying low" for a while on the "2 bike issue" - I couldn't agree more though, with everything you wrote.

A lot of my trips "WERE" short or trips to the store and the SW was indeed perfect

The dealer has already mentioned they would get it (the owner's manual) ordered immediately from HONDA.

Since you have one, (a GW) maybe you wouldn't mind one other question - I know this is the SW forum... I assume the little "dial knob" on the clutch lever, "1 thru 5," is to adjust for the clutch cable for stretching - confirm that if you don't mind and which "value" is maximum (or all done, replace cable)

I did appreciate the "Hey, nice scooter" comments. But, I also like the open mouth gawking and "drooling" comments too! Smile I didn't even get it home before someone made a comment. Several comments were made during the test drive. It's a purple'ish deep black and someone paid a fortune for all this chrome, back rests, seat rests, cup holders, lighting systems, and other pieces and parts. (I think that added shift lever might have to go though - you can step on the back of it to shift up - right now it's distracting and affecting my shifting (I miss the next gear progression on occasion))

Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am

You definitely don't have to go away, we are always interested in reading about rides.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-20

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

I agree with exavid. Each bike has it's own virtues. I love my 1500 for the highway and long trips, and the SW is the perfect match for in-town traffic.
Back to top Go down
jimjotel
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-12-01

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm

the 1-5 are size adjustors for different size hands. push the lever out away from you and turn the dial to different numbers depending on your finger reach, then pull lever in tightly. 5 is smallest and 1 is largest
Back to top Go down
http://jimtelford@bellsouth.net
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 9:40 pm

jimjotel wrote:
the 1-5 are size adjustors for different size hands. push the lever out away from you and turn the dial to different numbers depending on your finger reach, then pull lever in tightly. 5 is smallest and 1 is largest

Neat! Very cool...I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I did figure out pushing the handle back, but my hands are so large, I didn't notice "any" difference. I can easily reach it at either extreme. 'Course, I didn't know what I was looking for either.

I appreciate yours and all other replies as well!

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 pm

If you haven’t found them by now here’s a few sites to peruse.

ENJOY the new ride!

http://www.gl1800.org/

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php

Here's a taste on what you have got yourself in to, turn up the sound and listen very closely.

Twisted Evil Yes Virginia, that half ton beast is flickable !!! Twisted Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 11:01 pm

For those that might still be following this thread...

It (the GW) definitely is a bit more trouble, no, let's use the word "busy," when riding in traffic. I rode for about 2 hours tonight, both in and out of traffic. One route was one of my favorite Tennessee SW routes, full of many curves. I guess it's (the GW) still too new to go thru the turns like I did on the SilverWing, Still, the GoldWing does handle well, surprisingly well. I hesitate to call it "nimble," but I don't think it's very far from it. One major difference that I will make in favor of the GW over the SW? "Tracking" - At least my SW had a tendency to hop or feel skittish for lack of a better word, in fairly fast hard turns. (when the bike is leaning fairly hard) I never felt the SW was very well "planted." I know it's a scooter, but I always felt a bit "exposed" / "apprehensive" about the SW in leaning "hard turns." (maybe "it (the rear wheel) jittered or seemed something close to "about to lose traction" better describes what I'm trying to relate - I do not feel I was un-reasonably "pushing" the SW either, but I suppose I could have been 'over driving' it a bit. I haven't gone as fast thru these same curves on the GW as I did on the SW yet either. We'll see I guess.

I'm still experimenting with the air suspension system, but the "planted feel" and reaction of the bike is FAR better on the GW in turns as far as I'm concerned. (and it's not just a little bit better - the GW simply handles far better in turns, I suppose because of the weight and design.

Now "in traffic," I love them both with the edge as most have mentioned, going to the SW. In my case though, with admittedly limited experience on the GW, the edge to the SW "ONLY" because of the CVT. Otherwise, I have NO difficulty maneuvering the GW in traffic and if fact, strongly prefer the GW except for the constant "shifting."

I will comment more later if anyone is interested in my thoughts on this change. I also realize comparing these two very different vehicles is definitely like the proverbial oranges and apples discussion. BUT, I definitely don't mind riding the GW in traffic anymore than I did the SW...

"trouble1100" - I did find all three of those sites looking for information on the side case locks, but thank you. The guy on the GL1800 is nuts! I was there on the SW about 3 weeks ago! That is some road! Aside from being NUTS, the bike sure is handling well!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
parting thanks 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 am

I hate to see you go, but you know what they say, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!". Sounds like you're going to have a great time with your new Wing. I know I've enjoyed reading your posts. Best of luck down the road. I had a bike with the heel and toe shifter and thought it was trouble at first, but I grew to really like it.
Back to top Go down

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 5:59 am

If you didn't trade it in ,and don't try to hard to sell it ,you will still have the silver wing . i would love to have that combo as well .I just can't afford both
also don't have room . By thw thw gold wing is almost as good on gas as the silver wing .
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:10 pm

"Hi Yo" wrote:
- clip - Best of luck down the road. I had a bike with the heel and toe shifter and thought it was trouble at first, but I grew to really like it.

OK Hi Yo, I decided at work today, to do nothing tonight but use the heel toe shifter - aside from the numerous times I forgot to use it, you are correct. It wasn't quite a bad as I had imagined, I guess I got a bit more used to using it. The shifts were certainly better. (meaning more reliable/certain shifts)

Hi Yo, right now, I guess I'm a bit "busy," what, with all the buttons, Smile still keeping an eye on the traffic from all four directions, and the general "newness" of this beautiful machine. As you would expect, it handles differently than the SW. You might find this hard to believe, but the GW, to me, reacts faster in turns that the SW. I guess part of it is timing and the two bike's designs, but it's different, much more so than I expected.

I guess I thought since the SW was so much lighter and pretty good in turns anyway, I'd at the very least, be able to adjust. As of the moment I bought the GW, ALL TURNS ARE MUCH SLOWER for a while! Smile But I sure like driving this thing! (now I have to get good at it!) Smile Take a look at that link that trouble1100 posted - I was on that very road on the SW a few weeks ago. I can't believe someone on a GW would go that fast on that road. That's a 30 mph road for good reason. "CARS" will never make the turns at high speed! Smile (apparently a GW can!)

Excell . . .

I've seen reports of 42 mpg. I hope that's the same mileage I get with my GW. I was getting an average of 42 to 50 mpg on nearly every tank on the SW

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 4:52 pm

I've owned six Goldwings over the years and have ridden around 200,000 miles or a so on them and like to carve the twisties but there's no doubt in my mind that the SW is more nimble. I won't say it will handle twisties as well as the big 'Wing unless the road is very smooth because the SW does tend to want to wander when driven hard in a curve. It will however go from a hard left to a hard right faster than the big bike. More 'flickable' as the sport bikers say. Takes a lot less handlebar pressure to switch directions than the GW too. I'd really hate to have to make a decision which bike to give up, I enjoy them both way to much to do that.
BTW, I really can't stand the H&T shifter, the standard shifter is easier on the shift forks and gives a lot cleaner, quieter shifts.
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:28 pm

exavid . . .

Thanks for your comments!

I don't have enough experience or knowledge of the system to know anything about the "wear" of the "transmission shift forks" of the GoldWing, so I'll just "store" what you're saying without commenting.

I drove it most of the day today. The H/T shifter 1st. I am "kinda" getting to like it a bit. I'm shifting pretty well with it now. I still forget to use it at times, but it's working a lot better now. Hi Yo might be right. Maybe we just have to try it for a while

Now, "Flickable" - You are quite correct on the GW feeling heavier, in immediate switch turns, But, I am really liking the response of such a large bike.

A new issue - I am now hitting the pegs on many turns in just moderately hard turns. I have no idea what to do now, but when they hit it scares the "bejesus" out of me. They do fold, but I can't have the bike doing this. I'm going to check with the parts and then the service department on Monday. I was scraping the center stand on the Silverwing at times, but no where near as much as the GoldWing has been scaping the pegs. Do you know if I should run the air ride system higher than 10? Would this solve this issue? But would it be at the expense of control? "10" seems quite comfortable. The bike visibly rises when I adjust the air up, but I more or less preferred it around the 10 setting without a passenger.

On the decision to sell the Silverwing...After the last 3 days, I'm really hooked now. If the Goldwing comes out with CVT, I'll consider trading, but I'm quite good for now, even with the shifting. That's all coming back too. I'm pretty sure I "really like" shifting the GW. I probably would drive the GW even to the store, I made a bunch of short trips today. 'Course, it costs well over 3 times as much too, for a two year model older GW.

Don . . .

Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 1:46 am

My experience is about the same as Exavid's... Six GW's since 1983 and LOTS of miles. I agree completely with his comments about H/T shifters. In reading the forums and listening to the experts, most people who have transmission problems with GW's use H/T shifters. The transmission is not designed for them, and the shift forks get bent. Then you have problems shifting and/or problems keeping them in a particular gear (jumps out of gear under load). As long as you shift as if the shifter is an egg, you probably won't have a problem. However, with a H/T shifter, it is very easy to cram it into gear, and that's when things bend. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Exavid has suggested taking his "tutoring" private and I agree. Most here probably don't want to "hear" my questions and comments. But I wanted to reply to your "experienced reply."

I bought two years of HONDA warranty and the dealer is probably going to do all the work, routine or otherwise. I was having a lot of trouble shifting at first, but I am making much lighter shifts, I'm just "feeling for the success" of the shift more carefully... Smile

I do appreciate your information and will be as careful as I can about forcing it in to gear.

I really think, at first, I was a little panicky, and more than a little concerned about "doing something stupid, like dropping the thing or something similar...
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Ok - a post for the Silverwing group

Someone needed to brake hard today, "quickly," because of, well let's just say that person needed to "rear brake" quickly.

Let me assure the group, a person who is used to a Silverwing and is driving a Goldwing, just might, in a reflex "braking need" situation, disengage his transmission.

If you don't mind, I'd also like to add, that this action, (pulling on the clutch lever) well, not only doesn't slow you down, but only makes an urgent situation, much, MUCH more urgent, bordering on panic. A certain "puckering" might also occur as well.

I'm not exactly writing necessary implying I might have been involved, I just thought I'd mention this to the group.

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Don,

I don' think others will have a problem with the questions or comments about the GW and SW. If others here decide to go to a cycle I wouldn't doubt if the GW would be high on their list. I know if I ever wanted a MC it would be something like the NT700 or a Goldwing, depending on what kind of riding I was going to do.

But I like reading this on comparing the 2 bikes. So if you would like to keep this going please do. I think it would be great to have a bike like the GW but just can't justify it at this time since I don't have time to tour at all. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Well Jeff, Thank you!

Apparently though, more than a few here have BOTH cycles! I'm getting a lot of good feedback here on this forum... (I'm getting my "newbie" answers for sure!) That last private message from Exavid was great. He seems to have nailed at least part of my "peg scraping" problem. He related a simple check and then basically told me what he expected the result would be. (He was right - I'll buy some HONDA hydraulic fluid on Monday)

I can't help but compare 'em. I did want to say a bit about "touring" and "going to the store."

I don't understand the hesitancy to drive it (GW) on short haul trips, say to the store. I really don't see the difference. Both bikes are fine. I don't view the GoldWing as a "touring only" bike. I'll hop on that "puppy" in a second to go to the store. Smile Just give me a reason, any reason! Smile Maybe they are saying it's (the SW) is easier to handle. I guess that's true to some degree, but only at and for very brief moments.

One other thing I learned here, (hopefully my owners manual will be "in" soon) the GW has adjusters for hand size on both the clutch and the front brake. Very accommodating!

One "slightly' negative note on going to the store: The Goldwing doesn't "conveniently store" a larger amount of food quite as easily. If the Silverwing had a large GIVI top case, (mine did) that case, with the under-seat storage, was more convenient. Yes, the Goldwing has more storage space, but the side cases are harder to pack "food in" than the SW underseat. Then, if the side cases on the GW don't close properly, the dash warnings flash like crazy until you shut them harder. (further messing with the food) Smile

Thank you so much for the hospitality. I'll keep passing them (the comparisons) on then, as they occur.

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm

djevanstn
Thumbs up on your new ride. As a life member of GWRRA I can understand your excitement. Can't beat these things for long distance touring and I don't mean Interstates.
There are quite a few of us that own both the SW and GW and they definetly compliment themselves. The SW is such a blast.
I have a 1500 that we have owned so long that it has become part of the family. I do know that there will be a day when I will want to get away from all that weight because of age and physical strength fading. The SW fits that bill just fine but who knows what will be available in the future.
Enjoy the ride and be safe. Dick
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 pm

dickie . . .

I simply love it. I get up early to ride it. (unless the roads are wet of course - we wouldn't want to get any dirt on it!) Smile

Same to you!

Be careful!

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 5:54 pm

OK three tanks of gas - so far, nearly "dead on" 35 mpg every time in mixed, fairly hard interstate driving during half the "mixed driving" - My Silverwing was averaging 42 to 45 in mixed driving (about 600 miles of driving on the GW to arrive at that average)

Oil/filter change was around $70.00 at the dealer using HONDA HP4 50% synthetic, actually only a little more than the SW

I pumped up and run the hydraulic loading on the spring to "18" for average single riding and I'm definitely not hitting as much (but I'm probably also still concerned about hitting and I might not be leaning quite as aggressively - so the same for both - rubbing foot pegs on the GW and rubbing the center stand on the SW)

I had the hydraulic system inspected - mechanic said it was normal - I'll write HONDA, see if they reply and see if they agree

The GW's weight is simply not bothering me. The bike is so well balanced, I don't care. Very slow speed maneuvering is a bit more difficult than the SW. I definitely pay more attention at very low speeds.

In spite of the larger tank, I gained nothing to speak of as far "distance to empty." I still have to fill up too often in my opinion. (actually "dte" seems to be a "wash" for me...)

No radio on the SW - unbelievable system on the GW with three frequencies, CD, and aux input - I use SANSA CLIP player which has incredible sound played thru the GW aux audio input (to me the surround sound system is a big deal! Smile )

Considerably more parts, maybe more "somewhat" more complicated to disassemble the GW - the 12vdc power outlet was a breeze, (push 4 pins, remove a piece of trim, pull the box out, drill a hole, and plug it in to the supplied jack) but, in taking it apart to see where the hitch will attach, it definitely took me a while, but I wanted to clean what I could too... Once you figure out HOW things comes apart, it's not bad at all. I'd have to leave it at, "there's just more things in the way that have to come off." It does seem like everything has a wire attached to it. Smile

I'm still "over steering" it (the GW) in fairly hard turns "at speed." I guess I still don't believe how well it turns.

Because of the weight of the GW, cross winds and trucks are no longer even much of a consideration.

Don . . .

Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 6:44 pm

There are many things that can contribute to good/bad fuel economy.

The BIG thing I found on all the GL’s I have owned was keeping the tach under 3000 RPM, over that they become rather piggish. From my first 1100 thru a few 1500’s and now the 1800 they all had enough torque for two up riding at low RPM.

I've done several things to help boost mpg. Most of these have small effects, but added together they may make a significant difference.

Oil: Try good 10w40 synthetic oil in the engine and a good synthetic final drive lube.

Tire pressure: Pump 'em up to 41 cold front and rear, and check it often.

Air drag can have a lot to do with highway mpg. Windshield, air wings, highway boards - anything else sticking out in the wind. I've been seeing some positive results switching to the Firecreek Windbender windshield (similar to the Givi Airflo).

If you try any of these, keep us posted and let us know what, if anything helps.
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 5:46 am

trouble1100 . . .

Appreciate the reply and info...

YOU HAVE 3 SCOOTERS?! Smile (AND A GOLDWING?!) What, the whole family travel en masse? Smile

I do keep the windshield in it's lowest position. I actually don't mind the mileage, I was more or less relating the mileage to the group. I guess I'm far more interested in driving it thru the "twisty's" at the moment than mileage right now. Smile

I did switch to 50/50 synthetic (HONDA HP4) last oil change. (last Friday) One note: shifting is much better now - I definitely should have switched to synthetic earlier, for that reason alone. I'm not normally a synthetic type person, but the shifting is definitely better. I guess I'll see if the mileage improves

I have used 50/50 (Castrol Syntec) in our diesel RV at times and like it well enough. If it contains "MOLY" additives, I won't be able to use it, but, I don't mind using or the price of the Honda lubricants.

I don't check the tires often enough. That I need to do and will try to do better.

Keep a Goldwing under 3000 RPM? OK... Naw, " 'ain't gonna happen" Smile

Thanks again!

Don . . .

Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Speaking of the Silverwing's handling in the turns.....I think the "HyperPro" springs helped my 2005 a whole bunch.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Don,

If you are still looking for a hitch here is one of the more stable ones manufactured for the 1800. Below is a link to the "for sale" section on the GL 1800 site.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264493

It's not clear by the post which model Bushtec he is selling but here's a link to the V-2 I have.

http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res8tr14/bushtecv2trailerhitch/index.html
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 9:27 pm

trouble1100 . . .

Do you know if I can still remove the rear tire without un-installing the hitch if using a BUSHTEC? That's important to me. I actually checked on the hitch yesterday. If I don't install it, the tech that will be installing it, recommended the Kuryakyn.

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 9:38 pm

DaveR wrote:
Speaking of the Silverwing's handling in the turns.....I think the "HyperPro" springs helped my 2005 a whole bunch.
Old Dave

I don't know anything about the HyperPro springs at the moment, but I really appreciate the "heads up." I will definitely look in to it and see if it's a fit for me. Thank you!

I'm already shocked at the cornering! It still "freaks" me out! Smile My "twisty's" are still GREAT! I like the heavier feel and the what truly seems like improved tracking thru the turns. Anything that "improves" that, MUST be investigated!

BUT, that trailer hitch first! Smile

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Don,

There are three hitches that connect to the 1800’s main frame Bushtec, Rivco & Hitch Doc.

Rivco is the lightest constructed from aircraft grade aluminum. Bushtec and HitchDoc are steel and weigh in at 35# or so. Bushtec V-2 & the HitchDoc have a removable center / receiver section for rear tire removal.

**A WORD OF CAUTION**
All other hitches load the secondary parts of the frame, something they say not to do if you are going to do a fair amount of trailer pulling. The 1800's sub frame has a weight rating of 40 pounds, this includes trunk & bag loads.
The Kuryakyn hitch is NOT mounted to the main frame. The lower forward mounts come off the bag guards and the rear mounts are suspended from the bag / trunk sub frame. BUT ........ It’s easy to mount!

Install time for the Bushtec V-2 on my 04 wing was six hours with a few Lieinenkugel Sunset Wheat’s to calm my nerves. That includes chafe guard for all the wiring, factory and added, installing the trailer light isolator, loctite on all fasteners and the prerequisite cleaning and buffing.

Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 am

trouble1100 . . .

Well, that's information I'm won't be willing to ignore. I'll discuss your comments with my dealer and will probably take my own "look see" when I can get some time to take it apart.

You seem to have been thru this. Of three 3 above, which do you recommend? If you basically like all three, which is the easiest of the three to mount?

I guess I'll add that Kuryakyn has a terrific name, and my bike is "chock full" of their products. These Kuryakyn parts seem well thought out and of good quality.

Do you personally know of or even, "have you heard" of any failures (even one failure) of the Kuryakyn hitches?

Thanks VERY much for the info! If you have any "discussion links" (URL's) I'd very much like to do some follow up reading! Smile

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 12:00 pm

Don,

I based my final decision on the recommendation of this gentleman who by the way does not manufacture or sell hitches.

http://tailwindtrailers.com/tom.htm

My thoughts on which to install on your bike? That’s your decision; my passenger and my safety will not be ruled by one person’s opinion.
Like you I did the research and made the decision based on what I thought was the best equipment for the job that needed done.

Here is another site that will give you a bit of info on motorcycle trailer towing.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/?

Below are a few responses I found on the topic requested.

The first thread, tenth post shows the trunk & bag sub frame I referred to in a prior post.

In the second thread, starting with post four is one of the reasons I installed the Bushtec.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257425

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188067
Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 am

trouble1100 . . .

I'm still in the discovery process...

I've been back to the dealer - they will reply Monday to my additional questions

Kuryakyn has replied, but the weren't specific enough - I'm going to call them on Monday, rather than email them again.

A complete service manual for the bike should be here on Monday. I want to remove everything and take a look for myself at where the Kuryakyn mounts.

I really appreciate the info. I've read and am still reading many posts in GW forums as well.

Don . . .

Back to top Go down
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:53 am

- final average mileage, combined driving 37mpg

- went with the Kuryakyn hitch - the rest of their stuff has simply been terrific and the bike is simply stuffed with Kuryakyn addons

- the bike is utterly awesome - never ridden anything like it or even close, including the 1200 BMW (although doable if there were no GW's)

- that other brand is simply "not in the running" and too loud for long rides and definitely not as "refined..."

- I ride every day I can (when the roads aren't wet! Smile )

- so far, I've ridden at 17 degrees F - a bit cold but "doable" - with the windshield raised to the top, I'm pretty well shielded from the wind

- the heat vents are about the only "poorly designed anything" on the bike (not much heat, but somehow my legs also don't get very cold)

- still dragging the pegs - not sure, but that may be intentional - the bike handles so well maybe they don't want it leaned any further, but it's just a blast to ride

- When I took the bike apart for the hitch "look see," I found both top tabs broken by the previous owner or maybe a service shop on both side cases - not sure how I'll repair them, but I bought some bullet resistant plexiglass laminate strips - I'll try to find some way to mount and work with that material - not a great design, but it should have been adequate it the previous disassembler had been careful in re-assembly - it is a little weak though

- waiting on the 2012's - I don't see how it's possible to improve it other than mileage

- I doubt I'll ever have any other type bike - It's true, "don't test drive one unless you're ready to buy! Smile"

- I do drive this bike as much as, even more than the Silverwing - any errands I can use the GW, I do...

- the service manuals are amazingly clear

- best feature I can't determine, but I really enjoy the gutsy music system, and too, the brakes, and the engine, and the etc. etc. Smile

- I did purchase a two year extended HONDA warranty, but I'm not sure that was necessary - It just made me "feel" better (I think it was about $500.00 for the two years)

- If I can ever get the wife to ride on her own, knowing what I know now, I probably would purchase a 150i for her

That's about all I can think of...

The dealer hasn't resold my Silverwing - It does make me a little sad seeing it sit there - someone needs to be riding that machine! Smile
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
djevanstn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
djevanstn

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 11:11 am

Merry Christmas jdeereanton and group! I have so enjoyed reading the posts of this forum!

Don . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

parting thanks Empty
PostSubject: Re: parting thanks   parting thanks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

parting thanks
Page 1 of 1