Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:32 am

» LF extended back rest
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake

Go down 
+11
"Hi Yo"
Meldrew
BlackFly
vmaximus
ulflyer
model28a
bigbird
edbancro
DennisB
Waspie
trouble1100
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 9:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

To do this the safe way use your parking brake to bypass the side stand switch ......... Your scoot will start and run with the side stand down only when the parking brake is on.

Both the parking brake light and the start/run relay need a ground to be activated. How convenient!

The parking brake light gets its ground from a micro switch mounted to the brake handle that you can't get to unless you remove the front tupperware.
The side stand switch closes a ground to the starter relay. You don't want to splice in that area because it will be exposed to all the nasty road grime and gook.
That being the case, let's tap in to the other end of the conductor from those switches.

You will need to have a way to run a small gauge wire (I used 16 stranded) from behind the windshield garnish to left side rear body panel. I think DennisB has an easy way to do this by using the hollow tubing from the running board frame as a conduit. Chime in on this if you will sir.
When I performed the side stand bypass all of my body panels were removed.

To tap in to the parking brake switch ground you will need to remove the windshield garnish. You will see a brown connector feeding the headlights; to the left you will see a metal tab that holds it in place. Bend the tab down far enough to move the brown connector out of the way. To the right of the opening you will find a rubber boot over the two connector packs feeding the information center. Pull the tab on the rubber boot and slide the boot down the harness. Disconnect the lower connector; the lock tab is on the left side. You will see a white with a black trace wire on the bottom part of the connector; this is the trigger ground from the parking brake switch, splice in to this conductor.

Now for the left rear starter relay area, splice in your diode so the flow is from the parking brake trigger to the starter relay. Pull the connector pac from the starter relay and connect your trigger wire to the green with a black trace wire from the side stand switch. Test the bypass and button things up!

BTW, if you don't use a diode your parking brake light will come on when you fold the side stand.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:18 pm

I just can't stand it when I recognize a bad trait that I have in others.

Good thing we are not in the same room.... as both of us wouldn't shut up enough to listen to the other.

Thanks for the great pictures on the mod and the thread.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:26 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 pm

ENOUGH! BOTH OF YOU!

I get the last word.

Thread closed for 24 hours so that you both cool down!

And for the record, I've had my sidestand bypassed since 2004.

No accidents yet.

Dangerous? Yes. My choice? Yes.

Got a problem with that? It's just that. Your problem.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Okay, Topic unlocked.

Play nice and focus on the topic.
Not sniping at each other.

Mod Dan
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:59 pm

Seconds Out, Round 2! catfight
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 4:03 pm

x.

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:41 pm

I guess anybody forgetful enough to not put the side stand up before trying to start the engine is also probably forgetful enough to ride off with the side stand down once disabled.

Honda is protecting us from ourselves but as rational adults it is
your decision to weigh the risks involved.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:44 pm

bigbird wrote:
For those that wish to be able to start their Swing with the side stand down, here's the easy way I did it. I don't want to get into a debate over the appropriateness of doing this mod, as that's your final decision.

I missed the OP's wish to not debate the appropriateness of doing this mod. Had I got that, I never would of posted anything.

I meant what I said and I take nothing back and do not consider this an apology, it is a statement of fact.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:58 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 pm

bigbird wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:
bigbird wrote:
For those that wish to be able to start their Swing with the side stand down, here's the easy way I did it. I don't want to get into a debate over the appropriateness of doing this mod, as that's your final decision.

I missed the OP's wish to not debate the appropriateness of doing this mod. Had I got that, I never would of posted anything.

I meant what I said and I take nothing back and do not consider this an apology, it is a statement of fact.

So if it's not an apology, what's your point?
I don't thing anyone cares why you went off on me.

Did this group designate you as a spokesman for their feelings? Who died and left you in charge here? Just wondering.

My statement is exactly that. I wouldn't have posted had I read that correctly.

Last edited by larryinseattle on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 7:07 pm

::SIGH::

You two can't make it 24 hours without picking up where you left off.

So here is the deal.

This thread is off limits to both of you.
Either one of you that posts more here will be suspended,
and your post will be deleted.
EDIT AS OF 7:57PM THAT INCLUDES EDITS TO PREVIOUS POSTS.
VERY SNEAKY LARRY.

If you have more to say, do it in PMs (to each other, not the mods).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake   Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disabling the side stand safety switch using parking brake
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2