Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Side stand switch

Go down 
+12
GHM-PM
Modernman1953
bikehiker
Meldrew
exavid
Old Limey
Cosmic_Jumper
Bash On!
oldgwingguy
"Hi Yo"
gremlin
spyglass
16 posters
AuthorMessage
spyglass
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-10-05

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Well, salutations from yet another recent S Wing acquiree (I think that's a word, no?) who, while innocently perusing local Craigslist motorcycle listings, came across a lo-mile '08(5k) for an unbelievably low price. Actually, I was hunting a late model TMax, didn't find one, so went and had a look at the Wing, rode it around a huge parking lot for a couple minutes, and decided to pull the trigger. That was 2 wks ago, and after about 200 mi, am quite satisfied. Takes a little gettin' used to (have almost put nose prints on the inside top of the windscreen coming up to traffic slo-downs or stoplites, what with my habit of clutching, blipping the throttle & downshifting - still have 3 motorcycles).

Have already found useful info about the shuddering on takeoff, to brake and give a little throttle to take glaze off the clutch plates...seems to help. But.....has anyone else had trouble getting the kick/centerstand lockouts for the starter to make solid contact? I've had to kick the snot out of the stands a few times to get the %$@*& thing started. Does something need to be cleaned or snugged up?
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi, I am sure you will have lots of fun with your Silverwing and you will find a wealth of information on this forum. Like yourself I had a look at the Tmax and then tried an Aprilia , but whilst they are excellent performers on the road, to me they are more like a motorbike dressed up as a scooter.
If you are having trouble starting and it is related to the switch on the side stand, I would certainly clean it and check the adjustment. Whilst I would not recommend it to everyone; I have disabled my side stand switch, so I can get my SW out of the garage and front gate without having to shut the engine off three times.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Side stand switch 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Spyglass, welcome to the forum, but you should have opened your own thread. That way you would have your own responses. (I notified the admins to split it out so it should be corrected)

As to your starting problems, are you sure it is the side stand and not the brake lever. You should hear a double click before the starter engages. With the low miles and age, your bike may have contacts that need to be cleaned.

I've had Silver Wings for about five years and sometimes I find myself wanting to downshift when approaching a stop sign. Maybe this old dog will learn someday. Probably about the same time I ride a bike that isn't automatic.
Back to top Go down
spyglass
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 am

Stopped at a local Honda shop and told the man about the sidestand problem. He had to get prone and feel around under the bodywork to find the wires for the switch. After some wiggling, etc, it finally started (luckily, the problem occurred at the shop, which doesn't usually happen w/intermittent glitches). He sed to get at the thing, the whole underside body panel had to be removed. I think the above-mentioned idea of bypassing the switch might be the best. Is there a quick way to do this? And anyone know if the switch opens or closes the circuit? Thx
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 8:49 am

By passing the switch will work like a charm, UNTIL that ONE time YOU forget and ride off, that first mild left hand turn or bump will bring the seat pucker factor to 100% or worse.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 am

Putting the sidestand up should be ingrained procedure for anybody who has ridden a motorcycle for a while. Leave the safety interlock enabled if you're absent-minded or a brand-new rider.

Forgot to put the sidestand up once, when I was learning to ride. That was in 1979. Left such an impression that I haven't done it since.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Side stand switch 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 11:59 am

Bash On! wrote:
Putting the sidestand up should be ingrained procedure for anybody who has ridden a motorcycle for a while. Leave the safety interlock enabled if you're absent-minded or a brand-new rider.

Forgot to put the sidestand up once, when I was learning to ride. That was in 1979. Left such an impression that I haven't done it since.

I agree, with "should" being the key word. I'll leave my switch enabled until I'm experienced enough to know I never make mistakes. Of course I've only been riding since 1970.

I respect your choice to modify your bikes in the way that is best for you.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Somewhere on this forum is a thread explaining a Side Stand switch bypass which was linked tha to the Park Brake. Unless the Park Brake is applied first the side stand bypass wouldn't work. Likewise, before riding off, the side stand had to first be raised and then the Park Brake released.

IIRC the bypass required a jumper wire be run between the Side Stand switch and the Park Brake switch.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Well, I disabled the side stand switch on my first Silverwing, and never forgot to check if side stand was up in the four years and 40,000mls I had it. I also disabled the switch on my current one year old swing, mainly, as someone else mentioned, I have to pass through a set of gates to enter and leave my property. In the sixties when I started riding nearly every British bike had a centre stand and a side stand was rare, so I always put my bikes on centre stand.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 12:03 am

Personally I wouldn't disable the side stand safety switch. I had a near crash on my first Goldwing. It didn't have a safety switch but was also missing the rubber gizmo that's supposed to flip the stand up if you try to make a left turn with it down. I manage to keep upright but it was difficult and really rattled my tree.
There are several incidents of fatal accidents caused by forgetting the kick stand. If all that happens is that you start out slowly and drop the bike because of the stand you're lucky. If you don't have a left turn until up to speed that kick stand can pole vault one right off the bike. There's a good reason for that interlock. If you're a perfect rider go ahead, you don't need the switch. If you're a normal person it ain't a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 7:28 am

It's not a case of being a perfect rider. There are some things I just don't need. I do not need something that tells me my tyres are at the right pressure. I don't need a Sat Nav.I don'need to pull a trailer, a lot of other gadgets that  some people think are essential for riding on two wheels. Iam well aware of the safety aspects of the side stand cut out switch,for me it is not needed.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Good on you, but as my age increases I prefer to have every reasonable safety functions on my bikes working. My memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Back to top Go down
spyglass
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 8:12 am

Hmmm....interesting observations for and against. I guess the best is just to get the thing so it works every time, which will require gettin' the scoot high enuf off the ground to get underneath and see it up close & personal. C'est la vie. And thx to all.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 9:32 am

You can get a really good idea what the side stand looks from underneath by putting it the Silver Wing on the main stand and using a large mirror either outside in the sun, or in the garage with some extra light. I use a 12" X 12" IKEA mirror still in it's wrapper and an LED lamp.

In fact I've just had a look at my side stand this way, and there's not a lot you can do without removing some plastic. But if it's just road crap you could clean it out with a narrow brush, spray the switch/solenoid or whatever's up there with WD-40, and then moving the stand up and down a few time before doing anything more drastic.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 12:00 pm

By removing two screws that hold rear footrest  on you can access the side stand connecter.As was suggested by Dennis B (for anyone that wants to do it) pull the connecter apart and fit a spade connecter to the.main feed. Tape up both parts of the connecter and secure.Job done. Connection back can be done at any time. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 1:16 pm

My Silver Wing had it's third annual MOT today and passed, did you reconnect your side stand switch back at MOT time on your other Silver Wing?
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 1:22 pm

No Meldrew . I did ask before I took my last bike for it's M.O.T's, they said not an issue. Smile
Back to top Go down
spyglass
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 1:54 pm

OK, thx to everyone here. Saturday will be project day, what with fiddling w/the sidestand switch and installing the Givi topcase & windshield that just arrived.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Old Limey wrote:
By removing two screws that hold rear footrest  on you can access the side stand connecter.As was suggested by Dennis B (for anyone that wants to do it) pull the connecter apart and fit a spade connecter to the.main feed. Tape up both parts of the connecter and secure.Job done. Connection back can be done at any time. Smile

Wow, Limey, you nailed it in a few words. Thanks for the succinct info.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Meldrew wrote:
My Silver Wing had it's third annual MOT today and passed,

... and it passed it's fourth annual MOT today too.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 pm

The Silverwing is considered an entry type motorcycle. Many who purchase a Silverwing have not ridden motorcycle for awhile or perhaps never.

The side stand safety switch is there to protect someone's life if the kick stand is inadvertently left down by mistake. If I bought your used Silverwing with the side stand safety switch disabled by you, I would have a pretty big law suite against you if I got injured by such foolishness.

How many Silverwing owner's that have done this modification then just sold it without enabling the side stand safety switch. Probably every one who has disabled it, never bothered to put it back to stock or bothered to tell the new owner of the danger that THEY CAUSED.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 3:13 am

This is another old topic, I remember reading similar posts way back from owners who've disabled the side stand safety switch simply because they never use the main stand, can't or won't use it, or they want the engine running while they do up their helmet strap or whatever.

As for the Silver Wing being considered an entry type motorcycle that's debatable too. Certainly on this side of the Pond in the UK and Europe a novice rider wouldn't be able to ride one. Licensing restrictions would prohibit it until a certain level of proficiency and riding experience was reached.

You can read on here from forum members that have bought used 'entry level' Silver Wings that are clueless about the most basic maxi scooter things. Some even don't know the maxi scooter starting procedure, or how to lift the scooter on and off the main stand.

Of course a lot of this is down to entry level guy not checking that the little book that resides under the seat comes with the scooter. Or if it has and they'd made the effort to read through it, then at least they'd know how to start the beast, how to use the main stand, and surprisingly all about the function of the side stand safety switch. Then if it was disabled they could take it up with the previous owner or dealer.

There's still plenty of older Japanese, British, and European motorcycles out there with side stands that have no safety cut outs. I've had a few what you'd now call vintage Japanese bikes like that, I've rode away with the side stand down before as a novice rider, but you get a bit of a fright and learn not to do it again.

The old East German MZ's had a basic side stand that replaced the rear wheel axle spacer and you had to be off the bike to move it down or up. They weren't OE on most models and I had a couple of MZ side stands that I used on various bikes over a 20 year period. In fact they were a much sought after accessory.

In all that time I never heard about anything more serious with the side stand accidentally down than a severe case of embarrassment, or piss taking from fellow MZ enthusiasts.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 4:11 am

Moderman 1953,  When I traded my first Silverwing and bought my current one in 2014, I reconnected the side stand switch, iput back the stock screen and took my Givi airflow off, I took my topbox  and bracket off. When I got my new Silver wing I disconnected the side stand switch and fitted all my bits on this bike, after three years and 30600 mls I have never forgotten the side stand. I had not seen this post as it is such an old topic.When I started riding (in the sixties) my BSA 250 and later my Triumph 350 did not have side stands.It was only when people saw Harley Davidson bikes, that were too heavy to lift on a centre stand, that side stands appeared. I only use the sidestand to dismount, then put side stand up and use centre stand. As stated, advice to disconnect is for any one that wishes to do so.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Here is death related to a side stand safety switch disabled in the UK.

https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads/59292-cautionary-tale-about-side-stand-cut-outs

Just the facts. Not gonna argue or reason with those who have decided to disable a safety device on a motorcycle.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 am

I guess it is each to his or her own... On my Trail 90 (1974) there is no such device and yes I have driven off with stand down. Go to turn and abruptly it makes you aware it is still down by hitting and dragging, but has never caused a get-off. Just a sheepish look to see who noticed. LOL That said I have not disabled mine on the SWing; just not that big a deal as I use the centerstand mostly anyhow. The Goldwing will actually start on side stand (manual tranny tho) and displays a big "S" in the dash when it is down. I can live with that.

Just be careful out there and if you must mess with a safety feature PLEASE return it to stock prior to selling to some unsuspecting person? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am

I can start my VT1100T on the sidestand, but if I don't retract it the bike cuts out before I can engage a gear. So, no way to get moving.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 09, 2017 8:05 am

cotetoi wrote:
I can start my VT1100T on the sidestand, but if I don't retract it the bike cuts out before I can engage a gear. So, no way to get moving.
Jay.

Jay, same here, I forgot to mention that if the Goldwing is put into gear with sidestand down it dies also! Complex system but seems to work fine.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: bypass the side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 12:15 pm

First let me apologize for looking like the ZombieMaster because all that resurrecting of old and forgotten threads.
-------------------------------------
My only excuse is that my Wing is new to me. We got each other in 09 2019.
So what for you is a yawn - old and forgotten topic is brand new to me.
Please be gentle.

Yes I did use the search function, both of them and read through all the old threads I could find.

Now to the point.
I remember one on my previous bikes had a side stand with an auto fold back.
The spring did not lock both ways like the modern springs do, you put the stand down and then leaned the bike on the stand.
The moment you sat on the bike again and put it upright the stand was pulled in rest position by the spring.

From all the posts dating back to the beginning of the forum the anti disable side stand switch faction never mentioned this little simple solution.

I read about: what if somebody plays with the throttle - um when the bike is running I am in very close proximity, maybe just to close the gate behind me and there is no one around.
---------------------------------------
I need this simple bypass mod to keep the bike running while it is cold and I close the gate behind me. My bike sits then on a 3 meter long ramp and has 1 meter to accelerate until it hits a 16% incline.

So if I understand things right, the easiest way to do that is remove the 2 screws pillion footrest, disconnect the cable from the switch and electrically bridge the 2 cables what go to the switch.
Is that correct?
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Before you go about disabling a factory fitted safety device, check your insurance allows you to do it & still be covered, you most certainly WOULD NOT in the UK, if I remember correctly it's an EU regulation, if so it will include the Canary Islands
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi Sepp, thanks for reminding us all of the Ducati sui-side stand.

It used to be fun watching folks sit on my mates Ducati (like you do). The side stand would flip up and then they would start to get off again blissfully unaware the thing was about to topple over.
Matey meanwhile would be as nervous as the proverbial long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory.

Frankly a ridiculous design idea but given the reputation of Italian electrics at the time it might have just been the lesser of two evils.

Ducati now have decent electrics and proper side stand interlocks.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Sepp wrote:
the anti disable side stand switch faction

Sleep

Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Sepp wrote:
the anti disable side stand switch faction

Sleep

Hi bud, if I'd read that bit I'd have not posted & joined in with the Sleep instead, why oh why do people think it's a good idea to disable a vehicular safety device  scratch
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi bud, we both know this is a topic that's been done to death but still gets regularly dredged up. My own view it that's simply laziness or just plain ignorance mainly by those that can't or won't use the main stand.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 4:40 am

people , why does a simple yes or no "- look here" technical question forced you to yabber if you do not have a simple answer for me?
It was a simple enough question and I did not ask for nor am I interested in your opinion about this topic, since I read your opinion on all the old posts.

... and no, I never had a Ducati, it might have been 40 years ago I just can remember a Yamaha 125 DTE and a 250 Honda or Suzuki Enduro.

... and not on all places does the center stand work or would make sense to engage
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 am

Meldrew wrote:
Hi bud, we both know this is a topic that's been done to death but still gets regularly dredged up. My own view it that's simply laziness or just plain ignorance mainly by those that can't or won't use the main stand.

Hi bud, yep, there is also the question as to wether the 'modification' is returned to standard before the modifier sells the machine on to some unsuspecting punter
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Sepp wrote:
people , why does a simple yes or no "- look here" technical question forced you to yabber if you do not have a simple answer for me?

... and not on all places does the center stand work or would make sense to engage

It's the yabbering season mate, six months riding season, and with winter approaching we spend the next six months humouring weirdos.

'...and if not on all places does the centre (not center) stand work or would make sense to engage’

Why do you need to disable or disconnect the safety cut out switch at all then, just flicking the side stand down as it is works fine.

... and stop complaining, you're getting more replies than you've probably ever had on that self obsessed  Spidermax blog you're constantly peddling on here. Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 6:30 pm

Both sides of this discussion are reasonable; as in so many issues, it's not a one side or nothing. Experts tell us that most wear damage to an internal combustion engine occurs at cold start up. I shudder every time I start out with thousands of rpms just to get my Swing moving 5 mph out of my back yard, especially during winter months. Though I haven't disconnected the ss switch, I would feel more comfortable being able to run the engine on the side stand because center stand use is difficult on my imperfect lawn terrain. The introduction of the ss switch is a very good safety item. Though die-hard riders prefer no safety items like this one and ABS, etc., I have experienced a FEW occasions on an older bike when I pole vaulted on the side stand. It wasn't any loss of control that almost killed me, but the near heart attack from shock.
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 5:43 am

It is very simple for me to just make a bypass switch, what would be illuminated and placed in a highly visible location, or a little push button relay module what just simulates stand up and returns to normal state at the next power off.

And Meldrew, who is complaining with all the people who just answer my questions and not peddling their useless opinion like a broken record.
and the problem with all the replies is not quantity but quality, I rather have just one correct answer to my technical question than 10 posts from people who want to sell me their opinion on how I should do things.

My awesome (visitors comment) blog is not an issue here, and if it was, I can show you screen captures when the blog was in it`s active state and I had a 24 hour app what recorded who visited from where - since my blog pretty much covered the big engine of every Euroscooter around that time. It had readers around the globe.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 6:30 am

Then why don't you make that bypass switch quietly and do your own thing, instead of blowing your own trumpet about a 400 version of the Silver Wing that was never on sale in the US, Canada or the UK. Apart from looks it may be identical in spec to the FSC or FJS versions everyone is more familiar with, and maybe it isn't.

I bet you don't have a Factory Service Manual for it either, and you're asking your technical questions to a forum of owners of the original model.

You're also asking how to bypass a safety feature which has always been a subject of contention. So if you've you're read all the previous topics on this as you say you have, you shouldn't be surprised by the replies.

Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 6:51 am

This is one of those subjects that is better left OFF a public forum. Disabling a Honda safety feature is something this forum cannot legally sanction. Since this rabbit has been chased around the briar patch enough; I am officially locking the topic. Any more discussion can be done among your selves via private messages.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Side stand switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Side stand switch   Side stand switch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Side stand switch
Page 1 of 1