Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New to Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to Swing

Go down 
+3
DennisB
MikeO
mitch
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mitch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mitch

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-09-10

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 4:15 am

Hi from Scotland.

I really wanted to get back onto a scooter as soon as I could but only if it had some presence and decent performance.

I had a Burger 650 Executive in mind but they are way too expensive new and second hand ones just do not exist unless you are prepared to buy one with a large mileage or be prepared to travel all over the rest of the UK to find a decent one.

I really enjoy the performance and excitement of a traditional bike but love the scooter concept and all the benefits associated with them especially now in that I am of a more mature age and enjoy the avoidance of the aches, pains and cramp that I experience way too often now when riding a traditional bike.

In too many cases however the enjoyment of my scooters has been spoiled by a lack of performance especially when in the company of a group of motorcyclists which I am frequently being a member of a motorcycle club.

I have, in addition to a number of traditional motorcycles, owned the following scoots :-

Motoroma 125 / BMW 125 / Piaggio 250 / Yam X Max 250 / Burgman 400 / Majesty 400 / T Max 500 / Burgman 650.

I have just traded in my Kawasaki ER6F (A great little bike) for a 2010 registered Swing with 4000 miles on the clock.

Each of the above scoots has a story and I must admit to having, over the years, never really given the Swing a second glance or thought for a number of reasons (Very remiss of me).

That was until last weekend when visiting a Honda dealer they had a used one in stock at a very reasonable price and offered me a trial run which I accepted without too much hesitation.

I must admit to being extremely surprised by its performance and overall presence.

Anyway I bought it on Tuesday and have done 250 miles so far and I am very pleased indeed and will be keeping this one for a long while.

A bit spongy at the front though and the screen is really noisy, turbulent and creates the old suck and blow effect
which overall detracts from the enjoyment of such an otherwise excellent ride.

I have ordered up a Givi Airflow screen which I had on my X MAx 250 and it transformed that scooter. I am very glad I have read the posts on the forum re fitting the airflow and that plate though!!

Also I am pleased with the MPG, so far, as it is returning 64 MPG (Imperial).

Hope to get new screen on Monday and will report further.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 6:53 am

Hello Mitch and welcome!
Very interesting read.
Glad you've found the site helpful already - as you've seen, there's a wealth of help and information here.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 7:32 am

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the forum. Happy you decided to join in.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Welcome Mitch.

64 MPG, Imp. Wow!!!! You need to open that throttle and get down in the mid to high 40's. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Which part of mid Scotland, I lived in Kilmarnock for 8 years!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Mitch,

Ridden with a light hand, the SWing will get surprisingly good mileage. I just took a 600 mile ride yesterday. I checked three tankfuls of gas for mileage and got 66, 59, and 63MPG (US) respectively. This was mostly back country, twisty, hilly terrain (what they call here 'Mountain grades and curves) with very few stops. The SWing handled it beautifully. I've done the same ride on a GoldWing, and was constantly shifting during the very twisty parts.

Welcome to the forum! There are some very knowledgeable people that can help you customize your scoot as much or as little as you please.
Back to top Go down
KINN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-07-30

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Welcome from the West Coast of Canada! This is an excellent place for the exchange of information about the Swing.

Like you, I found the stock windshield to be a "turbulence generator" and replaced it with a Givi Airflow. I'm very happy I made the change and bet you will be too.

My gas mileage experience is very similar to yours.

Welcome!

KINN

Back to top Go down
Peach
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-06-08

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 6:38 am

I wish I could get better mileage. I bought mine used, so I don't know what is stock and what's been changed. I consistently get 48 mpg. I think I drive the way I'm supposed to, without jack rabbit starts, etc. I have tried to ride "little old lady" style, and I still get 48!! I took my windshield off and usually don't ride with the trunk on it. I don't have a lot of weight under the seat (on top of the seat, yeah! LOL!). I have always put in premium gas and try to get non-ethanol.
Back to top Go down
mitch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mitch

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-09-10

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for welcome everyone.

I am looking forward to actively taking part in forum and getting used to my bike - early days yet

i.e. Just back from a fifty mile ride - I really enjoy cornering but, compared to my other Maxi Scoots and bikes, I feel a bit unsure and jittery about cornering on the swing.

The dealer, during negotiations, had talked to me about the cornering ability of the Swing and assured me that (With all due respect) the Swing itself is far more capable of cornering than me so maybe I will get used to and trust it more as the miles go by.

Peach wishes he could get a better MPG having seen mine at 64 - The difference between the Imperial and US gallon needs to be bourne in mind when comparing figs.
Also I am perhaps taking it easier than normal just now and MPG will more than likely drop once I push it more.

Waspie - I live in the West Lothian district of Central Scotland and know Kilmarnock well as I travelled throughout Scotland & Northern Ireland, for many years, whilst out and about at work.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 2:42 pm

mitch wrote:
i.e. Just back from a fifty mile ride - I really enjoy cornering but, compared to my other Maxi Scoots and bikes, I feel a bit unsure and jittery about cornering on the swing.

Mitch I understand what you are saying, I had similar feelings when I first rode the 'Wing'. However it won't take long to adjust as you know. Now I have no compunction to throw it into corners and such. My only concern now is the wet, but I think most rides are the same.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

New to Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Swing   New to Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Swing
Page 1 of 1