Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hello from Illinois!
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Throttlemeister?

Go down 
+4
Chinasaur
edbancro
john grinsel
bigbird
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I have had throttle meister on Concours. ok, but not the easiet to use. Not cheap.

Try Nep---under $20 US---work great, I drilled hole in tab and use a little safety wire. So it is very exact

Great throttle stop for picking nose, etc.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:37 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Bigbird,

I have the Vista Cruise on mine (pretty sure it's the MCVICO) and I've been pleased with it. I haven't had too many chances to use it, but it's nice to be able to give one's right hand an occasional break. I haven't really used it for longer times/distances as a 'cruise control' yet, but it seems like it should work as intended once it's adjusted correctly (I keep the little adjuster thing they give you on my key ring so I can tweak it at stops if needed).

The install is easy and takes maybe an hour or less. It sort of gets in the way of the starter switch, but it would only be an issue if you needed to hit the started while driving. I seem to remember Dennis saying that he had the NEP, and besides being a little cheaper, the thumb tab is positioned higher (I think there's a picture on here somewhere) and looks like it's completely out of the way of the starter switch. I sort of like the lower look now that it's on there, but that's just a personal preference.

All-in-all, I think it's well worth the $22.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Also, I think I remember that someone used a BrakeAway lock on a SWing (not sure if it was here). At any rate, if you're in the market for a higher-end lock, it looks like a pretty nice one, and the fact that it releases automatically with the brake is a good safety feature.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 4:45 pm

For Big Bird----NEP work best. Just flick it on when you need, set it up so you can override if you need to slow down. Getting harder and harder to find, but I think Aerostich still has them.

For years Triumph/BMW/MZ had set screw and nut you could regulate throttle friction with. My Kawasaki Voyager even had electronic cruise----once in a lifetime experience----if would give gas to maintain speed just when not necessary. Concours had real bastard throttle set up and only one I could get to work was Throttle meister for then $75.

I have bought and thrown away probably one of everything available----when BMW stopped the set screw deal, bought several, then found out the casting still allowed for screw and shoe. My junk box for throttle stops is now strictly NEP.
Should probably order a couple more, just in case.

\

To me throttle stop necessary if you ride a lot----sometimes fun in open country to set at 65mph or so and see what bikes does on own---mine 75 downhill, sometimes as slow as 50 unhill. Also allows change of riding position as bars seem to me too far back and probably too high---I use the two master cylinders for my hands.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I've used Throttlemeister™ on all my bikes. My Connie still has it attached and will be buying two more.. one for my BlackWing and one for GF's RedWing.

NEP™ works, but it's cheap plastic. The one that came attached to my '05 Wing, and the one I had on my PC-800, always needed adjustment using the screw. During a ride it would lose tension and incrementally lose the ability to hold the throttle.

Throttlemeisters™ are simple to operate, built like tanks and add the added bonus of dampening some vibe due to their weight. They are drop dead simple to operate - Spend five to ten minutes after attaching to get the hang of how you like to operate and you're set. Other than an electronic curise control, the Throttlemeister is the Gold Standard™ to which all other throttle locks are measured.

Without it, I feel like I'm being crucified right around my wrist bone after 2-3 hours of holding throttle. I have a "surgically modified" right shoulder (jeep rollover) and the Throttlemeister™ allows me to sit back and use my left hand to steer while I rest my shoulder.

Expensive? Yeah, kinda. Totally worth it AND will last forever? You Bet!

Highest Recommendation.

Last edited by Chinasaur on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 5:23 pm

I've had a NEP throttle lock on my Silverwing for a couple of years now and it has worked great for me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Can anyone say for certain which of these will fit with Honda heated grips?

The BrakeAway one states definitely that it doesn't.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 am

Since bars on SilverWing are usual 7/8", inside dia. should be ok.

Throttlemeister works on own friction, grips shouldn't mattter but they have to be open end....as I recall some shims to get everthing right.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 7:18 am

Thank you, John.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 5:44 pm

x

Back to top Go down
forgitaboutut
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:05 pm

I think you'll love it!
I took the one off my '97 Triumph and put it on my 06 SW!
Just had to take ALL the washers off....or the throttle would stick,,,
I think you will find if you use the end of your palm,and your pinky,it's real easy to use! (make sure you put Loctite on after you get it adjusted right! I have heard stories of them losening and falling off!!!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Have you got it installed yet?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 pm

x

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:38 pm

We put a Throttlemeister on my brother's BMW a few years ago. It's worked very well for him. I went a bit cheaper on my SW and installed a Vista Cruise which works well. Some time this winter I plan on adding a Rostra electronic cruise control. I really feel the lack because my Goldwing has cruise control which is really a boon on a long ride.
I recently bought Gerbing G3 heated gloves so I'm looking forward to the coming cold season riding both on the GW and the SW. The warmer gloves will be even more welcom on the SW because it doesn't have as much wind protection.
Back to top Go down

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:15 pm

What are J.Costa pins and How do I know if I need them ..I have a 2008 SW,, And what size and what do they do
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Antman94 wrote:
What are J.Costa pins and How do I know if I need them ..I have a 2008 SW,, And what size and what do they do

This has been discussed many times in many threads. Please do a search here for J. Costa
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Throttlemeister? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Throttlemeister?   Throttlemeister? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttlemeister?
Page 1 of 1