Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Why I like the Swing over Burgman

Go down 
+8
crahar
MikeO
JeffR
Opalsboy
DennisB
eddy
jdeereanton
MaxB
12 posters
AuthorMessage
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2009-10-06

Why I like the Swing over Burgman Empty
PostSubject: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 am

This week i have been working on my S'wing and 2 burgman 650's. I have done all my own maintenance for ...all my life.

Ok , I replaced the transmission stop bolts on both Burgman's (mention in other threads as probable cause for transmission failures). Simple easy quick. (i have recently learned that the transmission has been totally redesigned in newer Burg's)
On one Burgman, I had to replace the right switch housing, due to bad starter switch. (you can't just buy the switch) What a nightmare!
I had a service manual (leaves much to be dedsired) took off all the tupperware LOTs of tupperware! but ended up taking to independant service to finish replacing the switch. I could NOT get one piece of tupperware off. Even with all that I took off, it took him 2 hrs to complete the job. (He is SUZI trained tech.) Now I don't feel so bad.

I asked him to check the air filter and change spark plugs for the owner.
He did clean the filter and did not do the plugs. You have to remove the radiator to get to the plugs. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! it's true.
The burgman is not maintenance friendly , compared to the Swing. And the swing is not compared to a M/C.

I remember reading somewhere about a Burgman service interval (xxxx miles) and it was VERY expensive. I guess so if you have to remove the radiator to change plugs and to change belt in transmission you have to remove the whole engine drivetrain.

Needless to say i will not be working on Burgmans again , unless broken down on the road.

MaxB (who is finishing my scoot now)

P.S. from a seat of the pants ride, I think my Swing is faster more nimble that the Burgman. A friend said that "Yeah, but look at all the performanc stuff you put on. I said yeah but still cheaper and and better looking than The bergman, hahahhaha)
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 am

Well, I feel like I need to stand up for the typical Burgman owner here so...

Wait a minute while I put on my "Born to be Obnoxious Attitude."

Oh yeah, well the 650 is bigger!

-curtain-

That's it, that's pretty much about all they got. Oh and when you write about them you must use the full model number otherwise we won't be able to figure out that you have the "Executive" model.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:31 am

I still think , the Burgman 650 is a fine scooter.
I was also afraid for the maintenance.
So...choosed for the Honda.

But only people who have own both scooters and have a objective way of thinking, can judge.

My 2 Eurocents.
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 am

jdeereanton wrote:
Well, I feel like I need to stand up for the typical Burgman owner here so...

Wait a minute while I put on my "Born to be Obnoxious Attitude."

Oh yeah, well the 650 is bigger!

-curtain-

That's it, that's pretty much about all they got. Oh and when you write about them you must use the full model number otherwise we won't be able to figure out that you have the "Executive" model.

They both were EXEC models BV650A ....uh something.

HAHAHAHA a whale is bigger also.

I am sure they are "nice" scooters , just not my style.

I needed to "rant" and to forewarn all those who do their own tinkering on scoots.

UH ............ Mine is prettier.

MaxB ( who likes style and function over WHALENESS)
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:43 am

eddy wrote:
I still think , the Burgman 650 is a fine scooter.
I was also afraid for the maintenance.
So...choosed for the Honda.

But only people who have own both scooters and have a objective way of thinking, can judge.

My 2 Eurocents.

Eddy, I don't need to own one to work on one. That said, They still look like a whale from behind.
MaxB (who would rather drive a ferrari than a delivery van. HAHHAHAHAHA)
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 am

One thing...I'm sure glad we have a choice and when all the facts are on the table....you choose. That's why I ride a Honda.
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 am

DennisB wrote:
One thing...I'm sure glad we have a choice and when all the facts are on the table....you choose. That's why I ride a Honda.

Me too, DennisB. The only reason I can think of to get rid of the Swing is for the new Euro model or If I give it to one of my kids.
It is still my preferred UAS (urban assault scooter) vehicle.

MaxB (who's knees are killing me today (woke me up at 2:35am) and may not finish the Swing today)
Back to top Go down
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:16 am

Oh Dennis, I ordered a Corbin seat friday on your recommendation. I finally bit the bullet and did this because I hit a pothole a week ago and my back has been hurting since then.
OH the aches and pains of getting older, If I had known i would live this long I would have taken better care. (bad back bad knees , diabetes, carpal tunnel, and the list goes on.)

maxB
Back to top Go down
eddy
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 am

MaxB...said...

Eddy, I don't need to own one to work on one. That said, They still look like a whale from behind.

Yess...
You are talking about woman, i suppose?
Back to top Go down
http://edho@operamail.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 9:38 am

MaxB,

Some of these pot holes around Tulsa are almost big enough to stop a scooter at 70 mph. Jars the hell out of me some times. They are working on filling them now.

There's a company in Min. that makes a decent backrest for around $90.00 a copy. This back rest can be used in ether front or in the back for the passenger. Here's the thread.

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HS&Category_Code=MB
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:13 am

Last Saturday (the day before my birthday)... I was returning from a visit to Sheridan. I was taking my time going about 55 or less. Suddenly I hit a ??? ripple??? in the highway that the first ridge started the launch trajectory. There was a short time that my arms actually compressed into my shoulder sockets and my top teeth said hello to my bottom. I then traveled about 1 foot laterally and 6" vertically. That doesn't seem like much now, but for a short period of time, all I could think of was "Oh!!!S@@T!!!!! There was a sharp pain down my lower back. Went away in a few seconds. It did change my driving method for the day... I slowed down the rest of the way home... now I am more anxious to get the Day Long seat ....
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Out here it seems that the B650 outnumbers the Silver Wings and most in our group do ride the B650, or those who want the bigger twins, vs the smaller single 400's. I thought about both, and I'm sure I would have happy with the B650, but there was just something that drawn me to the Silver Wing. I really didn't want all of the transmission modes because it it broke it would be expensive to repair.

But I'm very happy with the SWing and would buy another one, unless they do offer the GT version, which I hope they do. They say they are a bit smoother, how that is possible I don't know, and they get about 9 percent better mileage due to the aerodynamic change in the body style. I was even thinking of ordering a new set of pins for my J. Costa and playing with that for awhile. But the SWing is king in my book and it is fun to have a bike that you can "mod" out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 4:39 pm

eddy wrote:
MaxB...said...

Yess...
You are talking about woman, i suppose?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I think I can honestly say both will fit the bill (fat behinds)

There is a song i hear once in a while about fat bottom women. But durned if I can remember the singer.

At my age I still look and once in a while I even stop in the middle of a sentence.

HAHAHAHAHA

Ain't life grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Lord for the little distractions sent my way.

MaxB ( who sits on the River path and watches and talks about stuff with his buddies when it's not 100F outside) (another one walks by and another moment of silence. HAHAHAHA)
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 4:42 pm

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D99n9f3vU4
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Alright I haven't sent this thread in the ditch, but as long as it is headed way south...

A "Queen Concert" was one of the (if not the singular) greatest live performances of all times.

Although I'd have to say I believe that Freddy Mercury could eat corn on the cob through chicken wire.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MaxB
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
MaxB

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Yup Thats the song, I still can't make out the words past the first stanza before the music starts. hahahahahahha
MaxB ( who sometimes likes rock when riding the twisites)
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Maybe, but this is more my style you can keep your Queen. Why I like the Swing over Burgman Affraid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4fJVqWmWd0
Craig
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Back in Philly we spell it Hoagie and Cheese Steak. Thats how we get Fat bottom women. Now I am Hungry
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Swapped rides while out a couple of days ago with a B650. I have to admit it was a plushier ride. Plenty of performance (we were two up on both machines). It definetly sounds different than the Swing. When we stopped for lunch we all agreed that the Burgy sounded like a maytag and the Swing more like an Evenrude...I did enjoy the ride. I could be happy with both...but to think of it I could be happy with Exavids bicycle with a motor on it.... I will probably get the oppertunity to work on it if anything fails. I put 2nd gear in his Kawasaki Voyager a few years ago so I'm sure any major repairs will come my way. Enjoy the ride no matter what it is...Take care, Dick
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Opalsboy wrote:
Last Saturday (the day before my birthday)... I was returning from a visit to Sheridan. I was taking my time going about 55 or less. Suddenly I hit a ??? ripple??? in the highway that the first ridge started the launch trajectory. There was a short time that my arms actually compressed into my shoulder sockets and my top teeth said hello to my bottom. I then traveled about 1 foot laterally and 6" vertically. That doesn't seem like much now, but for a short period of time, all I could think of was "Oh!!!S@@T!!!!! There was a sharp pain down my lower back. Went away in a few seconds. It did change my driving method for the day... I slowed down the rest of the way home... now I am more anxious to get the Day Long seat ....

Gary, if I may offer a suggestion - if you are hitting bumps like that, lean forward from the hips (don't just hunch your shoulders). It helps prevent having your spine compressed.

Granted, sometimes we can't even see the bump before we hit it. But if you are on a bumpy road, try leaning forward - it really helps a lot!
Back to top Go down
Biologist
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Biologist

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:01 pm

I've bought my SW not long ago. I really had a choice: SW and Burgman one next to another. I took SW - it seems to be more comfortable for a woman like me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I like the Swing over Burgman   Why I like the Swing over Burgman I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why I like the Swing over Burgman
Page 1 of 1