Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bought some new tires today !!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Bought some new tires today !!! Empty
PostSubject: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, it is that time again to buy new tires. I decided to stay with the Pirelli Diablo's since I really do like them. The OEM tires were the Bridgestone Hoops and I replaced them last year with the Diablo's. The Diablo's lasted for 9,500 miles so far and I think that is pretty good. The Hoops had 10,500 miles on them and could have lasted a couple of thousand miles more.

The front tires on the previous tires were all in pretty good shape but I like to replace my cycle tires all at the same time. The Diablo's are also cheaper too.

Hoops Front tire: $78 Rear tire: $92

Diablo Front tire: $67 Rear tire: $72

I think the Diablo's "stick" better in wet weather and I have read that most think the same. I am going to take some pictures of both tires and I will post them in this topic. The rear probably have another 2,000 miles, and the front probably about 4,000-5,000 miles. The thing that I'm more concerned with is that the side walls seem more worn then the last set. Maybe I haven't been diligent enough with checking the air enough. I tend to forget to do that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 pm

JeffR wrote:
Well, it is that time again to buy new tires..

I received and assembled my No-Mar Cycle Hill Tire Changer today.
So if you bring them here I can install them Razz
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 am

Hey Bill,

Do you travel??? Razz When do you think you will get to use your new toy? Since you are putting more miles on your bike in a shorter amount of time how many sets have you gone through?
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 10:14 pm

....Or you can come to my little shed and use the coates 220 tire changer. Bring cookies. Actually I haven't changed a tire as small as the Swing on it yet. I will when I wear this set out. Dick
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 pm

JeffR wrote:
Do you travel??? Razz

When I am not

JeffR wrote:
When do you think you will get to use your new toy?

It came yesterday and I assembled it last night.

JeffR wrote:
Since you are putting more miles on your bike in a shorter amount of time how many sets have you gone through?

Gone through
Front: 1 Bridgestone - currently Bridgestone
Rear: 2 Bridgestone and 1 Sumitomo Darkside (debris gash) - Currently Sumitomo Darkside

I may experiment with other front tires ;-)
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Different tyres front and back   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 5:31 am

When my scoot was in recently for the wheels to be powder coated, I needed a new rear tyre, but alas the dealer couldn't get me metzelers which I wanted to try, (front and rear) and neither was he able to get a Michelin pilot sport to match the front. All that was available was a Bridgestone hoop...

Anyway I didn't really like the bridgestones, these were the tyres on the scoot when I got it just over a year ago. They were prone to white lining and tramlining, that is they tend to go off your chosen line if they encounter raised road markings or tears/fault in the road surface.

The dealer didn't change the front tyre as there was loads of tread left and said I should try it first before having a bridgestone hoop on the front. So....

I've now got odd tyres on my scoot. A Michelin Pilot sport on the front and a bridgestone hoop on the back..... And would you believe it, my S'wing now handles the best it ever has! Even better then when I had a Michelin pilot sports on the front and back... It's more like riding on marbles or spheres than hoops... Am well pleased as the bridgestone is also quite hard wearing, and seems OK in the wet (some of its better points)

And no problems with the disconcerting white lining. So I am well happy. I chatted to the bike dealer and he said that this wasn't uncommon and that many racing bikers have odd tyre choices.... (not that I race!!!) Mind you he also added that some combinations where the tyre's profiles don't match can add up to a bad ride....

Anyway, I thought I'd share this info here..... and can recommend that a good combination is a Michelin Pilot Sport on the front and a Bridgestone Hoop on the rear.

And now its snowing hard in southern and eastern UK, several inchs of snow, and would you believe resports of cars being abandoned and drivers being rescued! Studded tyres are illegal here as are snow chains So no scooting for a while then.....

Thank god for the Mrs 4x4 Subaru Forrester.....

Happy Riding
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:28 am

Bernardo:
Thanks for the tire review - that is very useful information. However, you stated:

"I chatted to the bike dealer and he said that this wasn't uncommon and that many racing bikers have odd tyre choices.... (not that I race!!!) Mind you..."

Well, I saw the manner in which you ride (sometimes) on the videos and based on my observations the main reason you don't race is nobody else can keep up with you when you "ride like a Hooligan" as you say... :lol!:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 pm

That was interesting. On my other scoot I had Dunlap. I put two new tires on at about 8k and the back only lasted a year. It was bad at about 4k and I made it to about five to the next oil change and the core was showing! affraid One of the guys noticed it on a ride and I went home back roads good and slow. I switched to Bridgestone after that to see if they would wear better. I sure want good tires all the time.
Not sure what is on the new Wing.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 8:24 am

The Scootist wrote:
Bernardo:
Thanks for the tire review - that is very useful information. However, you stated:

"I chatted to the bike dealer and he said that this wasn't uncommon and that many racing bikers have odd tyre choices.... (not that I race!!!) Mind you..."

Well, I saw the manner in which you ride (sometimes) on the videos and based on my observations the main reason you don't race is nobody else can keep up with you when you "ride like a Hooligan" as you say... :lol!:

Glad to help! Smile

Did you see those videos on the forum here, or somewhere else? I can't remember if I posted links to them here or not? If I haven't already then will post some links here aswell...

I think the videos show that a Silver Wing can hold its own on the back roads, even if it doesn't handle quite aswell, or go quite as fast as similar size bike. Being in the right gear all the time has its advantages!

Happy riding! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought some new tires today !!!   Bought some new tires today !!! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bought some new tires today !!!
Page 1 of 1