Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New tires today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New tires today

Go down 
+5
Meldrew
steve_h80
GHM-PM
oldwingguy
cookkees
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cookkees
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-06-03

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 10:15 pm

Replaced the ten year old Pirelli Diablos that came on my newly acquired 07 Swing today with some Shinkos.

To say what a difference is an understatement. MFR date of 07/2020.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 7:44 am

I'd venture to say no matter what you replaced ten year old tires with was going to make a noticeable difference, mine were only 7 or so when I put on a new set of Michelin's, behold a new handling scooter Smile Enjoy the ride and wear them out as quickly as fun allows.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 am

In my opinion Shinkos are good tires. Reasonably priced and handle well. Only downside is they are soft and don't last as long as some others.  Enjoy the ride!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 12:47 pm

After 10 years the old tyres will have have the consistency of granite!
I find all new tyres feel good after riding about on worn out ones. A rear tyre never lasts me more than 4k miles though so it's a regular expense Rolling Eyes
I've never tried Shinkos, let us know how you get on with them.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 1:16 pm

I've always averaged about 8500 miles out of a rear tyre no matter what motorcycle or maxi scooter I'm riding. The only exception was when I got a delimitation blister on the Bridgestone Hoop rear tyre of my Silver Wing and changed both tyres for Continental ContiMove 365 all season tyres.

Being of a softer compound than the Bridgestone Hoops, the accelerated wear after 350 miles of autobahn riding on the first hot day of the year concerned me at first. I needn't have worried as the tyres were still in good condition when I traded it in for the Forza.

The Forza is fitted with Pirelli Scorpion tyres and they're excellent at all speeds and in all weather conditions.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 am

I just replaced my front IRC tire with same today. Tried to statically balance the tire before seating the bead. I added seven ounces of Ride On after seating the bead. The old tire had no cracks, ran smooth, and handled the road just fine. It was seven years old with 16,740 miles. I took it for a 20 mile ride to distribute the Ride On. The new tire seemed more bouncy than the old.

On another note, my V-light for the CVT belt has not come on yet. Most members report the V-light when turning 16k miles.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2020-08-31

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Has anyone ever had any experience with Avon Vyper Stryke tires.
I just bought a set and was wondering if anyone can tell me their experience with them. They were $60.00 + each which is a decent price for a tire.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 pm

I think you will find they are quite grippy but are not as long-lasting as most other tyres.
Don't take my word for it, though.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 2:14 pm

I'll take grippy over long lasting any day, especially on the front as all the weight is on the back.
Its a pity we can't mix and matching tyres to get a sticky front and hard rear (o'er matron), much like what we used to do back in the day with Metzeler MEZ1 and MEZ2. Although I suppose there ain't that kind of choice between sports and touring tyres for scooters.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Being surrounded by mountains with lots of twisty roads I kind of like grippy tires!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Here's a photo of Pirelli Angel  with 7K miles down to the wear bars and really choppy. New tires today Img_2055

7K not all that bad for me many haven't lasted that long. Noisy at the end but never felt a slip or problem.
Back to top Go down
Middleast rider

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: First reply   New tires today I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Just replaced metzlers feelfree pair after about 35k km, must say, the feelfree doesnt have a right profile for the swing , the swing is designed for a certain touch surface with the road to have ballance and a certail curve of tire for turns. Just today Put on pirelli diablos as the former owner had, havnt had a chance to test them properly yet
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 3:08 am

How squared off is that tyre Mech 1? It looks good for 7k.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Look at center of the tire those little horizontal slots are the wear bars 2/32 not much left. Edges have some tread left but look closely at left side and it's uneven chopped.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 1:20 am

The  UK and Europe minimum legal tread depth is 1.6mm across three quarters of the centre of the tyre tread. Legal also means no cuts cracks or blisters, and definitely no car tyres.
Back to top Go down
PeteP
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2020 3:35 am

I just checked the dates on my tires today and they are front 33-06 and rear 33-13. I guess the replaced the rear once but the front is the original from when the bike was manufactured.
Of course replacement is a must. Glad I bought new tires first thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New tires today Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tires today   New tires today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New tires today
Page 1 of 1